PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Freezing up

RKhadder
April 25th, 2010, 12:35 AM
Hey I just built my first computer and I installed Ubuntu. If I clicked on any buttons the os would freeze. If I put in a cd to install drivers it would freeze. I talked to a friend who has plenty of years in the IT field. He told me I just ask on an Ubuntu forums. So here I am and am wondering what might have caused it. I know everything is connected correct because I gave it to microcenter to check over the connections. My friend said it might have been my graphics card.

I am using a Gigabyte H55M-UD2H Mini ATX motherboard with integrated graphics card with 2 gigs of ram with an Intel i3-530 processer along with 400 watts and I do not have the specs on the hard drive but I'm confident I have more then enough.

I bought a EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 1GB DDR3 PCI-E 2.0 graphics card.

Is the problem the lack in grahpical support? Keep in mind I can not do anything on my ubuntu system other than log in. I am using UBUNTU 9.4.

Many thanks,
Ramsey

cascade9
April 25th, 2010, 12:39 AM
I *think* that the i3/i5/i7 really needs a newer kernel than what you get in the 9.04 version.

You might want to update to 10.04 when it is released in just a few more days, it should have the newer kernel your hardware wants.

RKhadder
April 25th, 2010, 12:42 AM
Many thanks Ill wait but do you know how many days exact?

cascade9
April 25th, 2010, 12:47 AM
Its due on the 29-04-2010. BTW, that is where the numbers come from in ubuntu versions- 10.04 (2010, april), 9.10 (2009, october), etc.

You could always just d/l and instal the current 10.04 version as well- it up to 'release candidate', not quite the final version but that last step before that.