PDA

View Full Version : What things can you absolutely not do on Linux that you can do on Windows or Mac?

Macfunky
April 25th, 2010, 12:23 AM
I am not looking for a list of alternatives to do things that Windows and Mac can do. Rather I would like to know what you cannot do on Linux, no matter what programs or alternatives you use, that you can do on Windows and Mac. Not necessarily specific to programmes themselves but also features e.g. you can't do something in Gimp that photoshop or a photoshop plugin can do etc. Even if it's something as simple as not being able to save to as a format that you need. Sometimes the simple things are more important than people think.

azurehi
April 25th, 2010, 01:02 AM
Yahoo Messenger, audio and video, works more smoothly for me on Windows XP.

user1397
April 25th, 2010, 01:05 AM
Anything that doesn't run/install through WINE.

http://appdb.winehq.org/

Giant Speck
April 25th, 2010, 01:07 AM
In before "get viruses."

arnab_das
April 25th, 2010, 01:12 AM
...Yahoo Messenger...

http://gyachi.sourceforge.net/

Dayofswords
April 25th, 2010, 01:18 AM
i hear itunes is a no-go

stmiller
April 25th, 2010, 02:47 AM
Windows: games, office 2010, viruses, malware

OSX: audio / video apps (logic, final cut, etc)

Gimp cannot do 16 bit images or cmyk. So it's not just about what plugins are there, but some internal specs like that are why it is not like Photoshop.

Video editing on Linux is getting there. As video becomes just as easy for people to do as digital photos, people now need easy video editing software. Linux is getting better, but still not as feature filled as editing on windows or osx.

tl;dr: for me main differences are just software :popcorn:

Khakilang
April 25th, 2010, 02:55 AM
Virus that can render your PC hopeless. That Linux can't do it. Thank God!

mickie.kext
April 25th, 2010, 02:55 AM
Defragment drives all day. Reg edit to remove old program who had broken installer. Oh, and get viruses.

Shutter4U
April 25th, 2010, 03:06 AM
As far as GIMP not doing 16bit or CMYK, there is CinePaint which does 16 and 32bit, color management through Little CMS, etc.

It's available in Ubuntu Studio or from www.cinepaint.org

I tried to use cinepaint years ago and I think my computer just didn't have enough ram so it was slow and unstable when dealing with 16bit images. Plus the tools/interface looked alot like Gimp anyway, so I just stuck with Gimp on that machine. Now, its most likely more stable and computers are more capable, so I might try it again.

mmalone21
April 25th, 2010, 03:12 AM
In general I only use Windows for CAD (Computer Aided Drafting). If it weren't for that I could use Ubuntu for everything. As far Apple/Mac, I have not owned one in 13 years so I can do without the closed source hardware and software that Steve Job's is selling to the masses.

_0R10N
April 25th, 2010, 03:27 AM
Despite the viruses jokes, one great program for Windows that I miss on Linux is Enterprise Architect. I've tried several UML designers on Linux, but the best I've found is Visual Paradigm, and I don't like it that much.

But, above any other, the videogame problem is the worst, and the reason why every gamer has a Windows bootable partition somewhere. I still hope that someday, the video games manufacturers wake up, and become aware of the amount of Linux users, and finally take us under consideration.

Kind regards!

_0R10N >>

arashiko28
April 25th, 2010, 03:34 AM
i hear itunes is a no-go

Haven't even tried it since rythmbox, amarok and exaile can handle an ipod or any other mp3/mp4 player just as easy and synchronize if you want to.

-jay-
April 25th, 2010, 03:36 AM
having a program like exact audio copy that gives you pregags

Warpnow
April 25th, 2010, 04:58 AM
Haven't even tried it since rythmbox, amarok and exaile can handle an ipod or any other mp3/mp4 player just as easy and synchronize if you want to.

There is no way to manage a zune using native linux applications.

art4med
April 25th, 2010, 07:56 AM
Quite-nominal exceptions remain (so I have to triple-boot the next box I buy)....
but, since you asked:

1. Interactive 3D pdfs as in Acrobat Pro 9......

2. Importable layouts from Scribus into InDesign (which my end-users need) or Quark ....

3. Guaranteed-openable Open Office into Word docs.....

willing to learn any users' suggestions......

Aflack
April 25th, 2010, 08:10 AM
use ati cards.
play wow without glitches.
play steam without slow downs.
gaming really without slow downs.
webcam chat on an IM.
use itunes.

those are the things holding me back. i love ubuntu other than that . FAR MORE THAN WINDOWS MIGHT I MENTION.

HermanAB
April 25th, 2010, 08:21 AM
BSOD

Thank you, thank you...

ssj6akshat
April 25th, 2010, 08:45 AM
Be Stupid xD

P4man
April 25th, 2010, 08:54 AM
As far as GIMP not doing 16bit or CMYK, there is CinePaint which does 16 and 32bit, color management through Little CMS, etc.

It's available in Ubuntu Studio or from www.cinepaint.org

I tried to use cinepaint years ago and I think my computer just didn't have enough ram so it was slow and unstable when dealing with 16bit images. Plus the tools/interface looked alot like Gimp anyway, so I just stuck with Gimp on that machine. Now, its most likely more stable and computers are more capable, so I might try it again.

Cinepaint is no longer maintained. There is however, Separate+ for gimp:
http://sourceforge.jp/projects/separate-plus/

No idea how good it is, but it supports CMYK.

inso_741
April 25th, 2010, 08:54 AM
there is a utility called RMClock which lets you underclock mobile processors that improves battery life and reduces temperature which
unfortunately doesnot work with linux and as far as i know it has no alternative......:(

JohnH
April 25th, 2010, 09:25 AM
I can't show or print in landscape 16 slides on a handout in Oo Impress. Admittedly, nor can Powerpoint, but there is an "add-in" that can run in Windows PowerPoint that makes this possible (at a small cost of the shareware).

I've purchased CrossOver and it is good to use; much better that Wine, but I can't run that "add-in" under CrossOver or Wine on the Linux machine.

My $0.02 worth.
John

Thsyrus
April 25th, 2010, 11:10 AM
I know this thread is a little silly but I will say OneNote. Specifically OneNote2010. I know you can get office to work in wine but I would love to see something built for gnome with a closeness on features and (above all) the smoothness OneNote 2010 has.

itreius
April 25th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Be productive...

or have fun.
http://www.andrew-stockdale.co.uk/zomgwtfbbq/Games_32672.png

rewyllys
April 25th, 2010, 03:03 PM
For me, the most serious lack is income-tax return software. I have to run Windows XP in VirtualBox (a combination that works very nicely) in order to run either TurboTax or H&R Block software.

And no, I'm not willing to do my taxes on the Web--the joint return for my wife and me is much too complicated for that.

Frogs Hair
April 25th, 2010, 03:42 PM
I can't get a message that says : Trusted Installer you need permission to remove program

mamamia88
April 25th, 2010, 03:45 PM
netflix streaming or abc.com streaming. but oh well if i miss a show on abc i buy it on the playstation store and netflix works fine through the xbox

mmalone21
April 25th, 2010, 04:09 PM
For me, the most serious lack is income-tax return software. I have to run Windows XP in VirtualBox (a combination that works very nicely) in order to run either TurboTax or H&R Block software.

And no, I'm not willing to do my taxes on the Web--the joint return for my wife and me is much too complicated for that.

I was able to use Turbo Tax Online for my wife and my joint return the past two years, and had no issues on Ubuntu using Firefox as my browser. I payed for the on-line deluxe version. I am all for open source software for almost everything but I am not sure about open source tax software. If I ever get the time I will try to look in to the development of some software.

mmalone21
April 25th, 2010, 04:11 PM
netflix streaming or abc.com streaming. but oh well if i miss a show on abc i buy it on the playstation store and netflix works fine through the xbox

Try downloading the useragent switcher extention for Firefox and set your user agent to windows NT and Internet explorer. It has worked for me let me know if you have any issues. Feel free to PM me.

_0R10N
April 25th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Be productive...

or have fun.
http://www.andrew-stockdale.co.uk/zomgwtfbbq/Games_32672.png

Wow, man! that's awesome!!! As I said in my previous post, we definitively need an reliable game emulator. we must not sit and wait that game manufacturers take us under consideration! I know that someday they will, but I just can't!!! I'm getting older every day.

_0R10N >>

MatthewPlanchard
April 25th, 2010, 04:44 PM
I have to agree with the poster who said OneNote, specifically OneNote 2010. It's one of the few programs that keeps me from switching to Linux completely, although I must say I really like Windows 7. It actually gets better battery life than Linux.

So, OneNote. Evernote is nowhere near as good of a note-taking program, although it is quite good for collections.

mamamia88
April 25th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Try downloading the useragent switcher extention for Firefox and set your user agent to windows NT and Internet explorer. It has worked for me let me know if you have any issues. Feel free to PM me.

i've tried that before but the video was all pixelated. i'm not too worried though because i don't really like streaming video. if i miss a show ill just download it in high quality on my ps3

nam31355
April 27th, 2010, 04:17 PM
I am using Ubuntu for several months, now, on my netbook and I really really like it. However, I would probably never switch my working PC to Linux, as I am a PhD Civil Engineer and use many specialized scientific programs, such as finite element tools (Nastran, Ansys, Plaxis, e.t.c.), finite difference tools (Itasca FLAC), structural analysis tools (e.g. NEXT - it's a greek one, with built-in structural design guidelines) and many more.

Most of them are commercial and what people do in most corporations is buy a legal version, which is installed in one PC, and then find a cracked version, which is used by most of the employees (instead of purchasing seperate licences). I know it's illegal, but it's the common practice in many civil engineering offices. So, if you use linux, even if some of these programs do run with WINE, I'm not sure if it's possible to use the cracked versions as well. Besides, most of the legal versions use USB license keys, and I am not so sure whether these will work with Ubuntu.

OK, so I won't be using Ubuntu at work. But even in my Netbook, I have a dual boot system with Windows 7. The main reason is that I often bring some work at home, in the weekends, most of it on Microsoft Office. OK, there is Openoffice which is quite good, but with one main compatibility issue: Mathtype Equations! (I did't try much, but I did some research on the web and I found out that this is a main drawback for many people doing scientific work, including school and university students. And even though the scientific programs that I use are quite specialized (meaning that I would not expect to find something like that in Linux), the Mathtype thing is a very important problem for many of us!

samalex
April 27th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Here's a few apps that still make me keep Windows XP around (loaded in VirtualBox):
- Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 2008
- Microsoft Visual Studio 2010
- iTunes (hopefully Ubuntu One Music Store will replace this though)
- TomTom Software for my GPS

That's about it --

Sam

v1ad
April 27th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Abc & fox now support linux, think they got rid of that move player.
NBC on the other hand does not. but that you can use running firefox through wine.

to underclock your cpu, try bios.

CoffeeCoder
April 27th, 2010, 05:47 PM
The only things I can think of are:

Gaming
More advanced video editing (I miss Sony Vegas, for example)
Programming in BASIC

That's pretty much it. But since I dual-boot with Windows 7, it really doesn't matter, although I definitely prefer using Ubuntu over Windows. :P

dnguyen1963
April 27th, 2010, 05:48 PM
I cannot do video transfer from VHS tapes to DVD via Dazzle. Actually, anything to do with video I'll use Windows XP software. Everything else...Ubuntu.

Doctor Mike
April 27th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Study malware of all sorts.

98cwitr
April 27th, 2010, 07:27 PM
iTunes and Active Directory

red_Marvin
April 27th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Programming in BASIC

FreeBASIC has a native linux version.

alexfish
April 27th, 2010, 09:54 PM
I am not looking for a list of alternatives to do things that Windows and Mac can do. Rather I would like to know what you cannot do on Linux, no matter what programs or alternatives you use, that you can do on Windows and Mac. Not necessarily specific to programmes themselves but also features e.g. you can't do something in Gimp that photoshop or a photoshop plugin can do etc. Even if it's something as simple as not being able to save to as a format that you need. Sometimes the simple things are more important than people think.

Simple things things in life are not always free

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/rank/

Forgot to add : Don't use Internet Explorer with That BING thing to sign in to the Forum Cos the bugger will not let you in:lolflag:

aysiu
April 27th, 2010, 10:02 PM
Netflix streaming.

alexfish
April 28th, 2010, 12:11 AM
Netflix streaming.

I am a Noob at Netfix streaming, can yuo eliberate on the sugect

although my eye were not steaming at the time , It just reminded to do something,

I once made a statement to a tread relating to a post

What features of Windows do you want in Ubuntu ? [Archive ... (http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=1&ved=0CAYQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fubuntuforums.org%2Farchive%2Finde x.php%2Ft-1335065.html&rct=j&q=Id+rather+mount+a+duck+alexfish+ubuntu&ei=NWzXS_L8CI_y0gSpicWCCA&usg=AFQjCNEYnTw-6oChc-OjsfCyhrS9-Q0izw)

That won't actually mount until you click on it. Home users storing their data on a network aren't going to want to have manually mount their mp3 collection before their music player can see it. I'd like to see a good GUI for adding network shares to /etc/fstab in Ubuntu by default. (Quote )

I'd rather mount a duck if its got anything to do with windows

then some asked

what made you think of duck , I replied

mounting a duck would be a more attractive proposition , possible even a dead one.

Yep you got , the 12 Bore coming out of the locker , to heck with the closed season !

Quack Quack. Bang,

Imagine what duck will say when it gets mounted ~ all comments welcome

Stanwilliamsmusic
May 3rd, 2012, 02:17 AM
I have 3 Ubuntu boxes, just downgraded 1 of them, didn't really like Precise, or it didn't like my hardware or something ;), but I have been using Ubuntu since Dapper Drake, and I have Fedora16 and openSUSE12.1, but I still haven't found a good way to create Flash content, or make .fla files and compile them into .swf's , anyone have a suggestion?

I still have 2 ʍıupoʍs ® installs for that, and though have 2 different Visual Studio ®, editions, I hardly Ever use them.
I use Linux for compiling almost exclusively, well except for compiling to exe's.
I use Linux for everything else.

:guitar:

ɯoɔ˙ɔısnɯsɯɐıןןıʍuɐʇs˙ʍʍʍ