PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Windows authentication problems after installing Ubuntu!

AlecMayhugh
April 24th, 2010, 11:51 PM
I installed Ubuntu on my HP Slimline and now when i try to boot into windows it says it isnt genuine, and it came installed on my HP. PLEASE HELP!

Dayofswords
April 24th, 2010, 11:52 PM
if your still in warranty you can call hp

AlecMayhugh
April 25th, 2010, 12:11 AM
if your still in warranty you can call hpAnd if im not?

Dayofswords
April 25th, 2010, 01:20 AM
you'll have to do something else
i've never had the problem myself

wilee-nilee
April 25th, 2010, 01:51 AM
I installed Ubuntu on my HP Slimline and now when i try to boot into windows it says it isnt genuine, and it came installed on my HP. PLEASE HELP!

If you purchased this computer new then HP or MS will take care of it. If you cruise the windows 7 forums there are lots of posts of people having similar problems with either legal installs and computers that were sold with W7. I doubt if Ubuntu is part of the problem, but you never know. With a OEM if you have recovery partition or a install disc the computer should auto confirm the key.
http://www.sevenforums.com/
There are many dual booters' on this forum so they may have a better answer for you.

AlecMayhugh
April 25th, 2010, 01:53 AM
If you purchased this computer new then HP or MS will take care of it. If you cruise the windows 7 forums there are lots of posts of people having similar problems with either legal installs and computers that were sold with W7. I doubt if Ubuntu is part of the problem, but you never know. With a OEM if you have recovery partition or a install disc the computer should auto confirm the key.
http://www.sevenforums.com/
There are many dual booters' on this forum so they may have a better answer for you.
I have vista. It also never did this until the install of Ubuntu

wilee-nilee
April 25th, 2010, 02:05 AM
I have vista. It also never did this until the install of Ubuntu

I think the problem is the newest anti-piracy software that they are forcing people to load to keep getting updates after a certain point. It may be a intrinsic problem with the HP setup from the manufacturer. The Ubuntu install does nothing to the Vista partitions unless you tell it to nor does it change anything in bios. Did you install and let Ubuntu resize the vista partitions? As I said anything is possible but to find a solution you have to have a proven cause and effect. I have never seen a thread ever with the same problem. Good thing is though is that you are legal, you must have registered with MS originally if you are the owner.

There is missing information here though did you purchase the computer new yourself or was it purchased by another.

We can sit around all day pointing fingers at operating systems when all any body on the forum is doing is helping others, or posting FUD.......etc, but this does not get your problem fixed which is all I care about, not the OS.

wilee-nilee
April 25th, 2010, 02:20 AM
Additionally I would find the keys in the computer now with this.
http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/
Then see if the oem key works, it may be that the oem key has been black listed by MS because of pirates using the key. So it may just be a quick call to MS to get this fixed if this is the case or calling HP.

Also if you purchased this computer from somebody you don't know it might not be authentic.