PDA

View Full Version : My computer crashed

Viva
April 24th, 2010, 10:42 PM
Lost a lot of important data including saved firefox passwords. I couldn't even log on to windows or ubuntu after that. Memory check gave me a lot of errors, so I removed the RAM sticks, noticed that they are dirty, cleaned them and put them back. My computer is working again](*,)

themarker0
April 24th, 2010, 10:46 PM
Lesson? Clean your computer twice a month.

cascade9
April 24th, 2010, 10:57 PM
Lesson? Clean your computer twice a month.

Easier way? Buy a case with dust filters and clean it out far less often than that :)

tgalati4
April 24th, 2010, 11:02 PM
Place your computer at least 1' (1/3 meter for you metric weanies) above the floor.

The Real Dave
April 24th, 2010, 11:32 PM
I have to clean mine a lot, it moves quite a bit of air, and sucks in quite a bit of dust :(

cascade9
April 24th, 2010, 11:41 PM
Place your computer at least 1' (1/3 meter for you metric weanies) above the floor.

That is 0.304 metres. :lolflag:

Dust filter is still easier.

I have to clean mine a lot, it moves quite a bit of air, and sucks in quite a bit of dust :(

One word- stockingfilter. You know you want to :)

tom66
April 24th, 2010, 11:50 PM
Actually it's 0.3048 meters, 0.305 if you're rounding up. :lolflag:

Most of my spare computers have no case so they do not have much chance to gather dust. I have one case I share between them. Luckily I don't use them often enough to warrant casing.

Bachstelze
April 24th, 2010, 11:58 PM
Wait, how could you lose "important data" if it was a RAM problem?

NMFTM
April 25th, 2010, 12:26 AM
Lost a lot of important data including saved firefox passwords
Am I the only one who cringed when they read this?

Maybe he was running off of a live CD for days on end? Why someone would do that, I do not know.

cascade9
April 25th, 2010, 12:33 AM
Actually it's 0.3048 meters, 0.305 if you're rounding up. :lolflag:

Most of my spare computers have no case so they do not have much chance to gather dust. I have one case I share between them. Luckily I don't use them often enough to warrant casing.

Opps, I used 2.533 = 1 for inches/cm conversion...it should be 2.5333333333333 (recuring) :lolflag:

RAM corruption can cause data corruption.

swoll1980
April 25th, 2010, 12:36 AM

That's what I was wondering.

Viva
April 25th, 2010, 07:15 AM

I was running firefox when my computer crashed suddenly. When I finally managed to log in again, most of the profile is gone other than a couple of extensions.

Am I the only one who cringed when they read this?

Why? I have passwords to my paypal account, a couple of domain registrars with important names, email accounts stored in firefox. Fortunately, I had jaunty on a different home partition that I did not format while installing karmic, so I'm hoping to restore some of the older passwords using that firefox profile. All the newer ones are lost though.

lovinglinux
April 25th, 2010, 09:19 AM
I was running firefox when my computer crashed suddenly. When I finally managed to log in again, most of the profile is gone other than a couple of extensions.

Why? I have passwords to my paypal account, a couple of domain registrars with important names, email accounts stored in firefox. Fortunately, I had jaunty on a different home partition that I did not format while installing karmic, so I'm hoping to restore some of the older passwords using that firefox profile. All the newer ones are lost though.

Backing up Firefox profiles are easy and don't occupy much space. Use FEBE (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/search/?q=FEBE) do do regular backups.

NMFTM
April 25th, 2010, 05:05 PM
The idea of storing passwords on my computer seems kind of iffy.