PDA

View Full Version : Incomplete 9.10 - 10.04 Upgrade / Unable to boot

Spade12
April 24th, 2010, 09:22 PM
Hey guys

I was trying to upgrade from 9.10 to 10.04 RC1 through update-manager graphically.t

My system froze in the process and now I am unable to boot.

I get as far as the splash loading screen but then the ubuntu logo skews towards the bottom of the screen and I am reverted to a console screen with some kind of scan taking place:

[1169.3822319] ===>rt_ioctl_giwscan, 2(2) BSS returned data->length = 489 and it goes on and on

When I access recovery mode from GRUB I tried cleaning up the packages I get an error "E: could not perform immediate configuration on 'util-linux'..."

So I'm looking for anyway to get this working out.

zvacet
April 24th, 2010, 11:56 PM
Boot in recovery mode and type

sudo dpkg --configure -a
sudo apt-get -f install
sudo apt-get --fix-missing

and see if it helps

Spade12
April 25th, 2010, 01:01 AM
The last command isnt valid. But i did the first two.

Same error.

I feel like it should work if only I were able to install the packages that the "repair broken packages" features got for me.

Unfortunately I still cant get past the immediate configuration error with 'linux-util'

I really dont want to have to start from scratch over this..

zvacet
April 25th, 2010, 09:20 AM
sudo apt-get update

or

sudo apt-get -f install

and post output here.Maybe somebody else will help you if you give that info.

Spade12
April 25th, 2010, 09:21 PM
SOLVED:

Thanks for the input guys. But to remedy this problem I had to boot into recovery mode, shell with network access and sudo apt-get install 'util-linux' and then the missing dependency.

After that I was able to repair broken packages from the rescue context menu within recovery mode.

ehanes75
April 27th, 2010, 06:12 AM
I have the same error message, what dependencies did you need to fix?

Spade12
April 27th, 2010, 06:22 AM
Like I said I tried apt-get(ting) the util-linux package because that was spouting out an error but when I tried it said I needed some other dependency first like 'net-upstart' or something I forget. So once I got that, then I was able to get the util-linux package downloaded and installed.

From there I went into the "Repair broken packages" part of the recovery menu and got everything working.

Good luck