PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Customized Install of 10.04rc from cd

docjones2
April 24th, 2010, 07:11 PM
I have the cd image for the install cd of ubuntu 10.04 release candidate

Before I install it, is there anyway to specify which of the default packages I DO NOT want to install (via command line arguments or some other means)

There is ALOT of things I DO NOT want, like firefox, "cloud one", "social features", totem, rythmbox, "music store", empathy.

I know that the cd allows you to adjust the command arguments for the install command, and something tells me that there should be an argument for specifying which packages to install/not-install or to choose from a list or something to the same effect. (if there isn't, there should be)

Any suggestions?
Thank you

docjones2
April 24th, 2010, 11:25 PM
Nevermind... I assumed like the previous live cds I would be allowed to customize my boot options...

Why was this functionality changed? Why is 10.04 such a waste of time? New features include twitter and facebook integration and this is why 9 is incremented to 10?

Is there anyway I can install 8.04 and update only the features I want from 10.04 (like the security and kernel updates) and choose not to install the nonsense features like "music store" and twitter (and the windows knock-off "improved" login screen that has no custimizability and no option to hide usernames).

I hate to rant here, but this removal of features from the live cd has really busted me. 9 was a similar weak distribution, I figured the shortcomings would have been fixed in 10, but now I see it is only worse.