PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Serious Lucid? Issue.

5BallJuggler
April 24th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Guys,
I think my system may be fubar'd, I installed Lucid Beta a few days ago and was happy with the way everything worked.
The system wanted an update on Thursday night, I installed it and then carried on using it for about an hour, it was then shutdown normally with no errors.
On Friday morning it would not boot. I pressed the "on" button it came on, all the other lamps lit ie Caps and Num Lock, the battery light is on anyway, but the hard drive light is not flashing, it's as though it isn't being accessed, but I can hear it????
There is no display on the screen.
It just sits there looking forlorn.

I'm running an Acer Aspire One

Is there anything I can do to check what is wrong.
My initial thoughts are bios related, but I can't see how that would have changed, then I think maybe the Harddrive is knackered.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. as I could do with the e'mail data from the system.

Sef
April 24th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Do you have a Live CD that you can use to test with? Just see if the Live CD boots ok or not. If not, then likely the problem is hardware related.

5BallJuggler
April 24th, 2010, 05:16 PM
No live CD, but I have tried booting from USB
I've also tried an external monitor.

Both to no avail.

Is it likely to be motherboard or Harddrive?

5BallJuggler
April 26th, 2010, 05:14 PM
I've put my harddrive into another PC and that is OK, so i'm guessing it's the motherboard that's goosed.

aceracer24
April 26th, 2010, 05:23 PM
I've put my harddrive into another PC and that is OK, so i'm guessing it's the motherboard that's goosed.

It's possible that the system went to sleep and was just unable to wake correctly. Usually a simple reboot of the computer will get you back in. Did you try just clicking the reset button on your computer first to see if it would boot up? If so then it's possible that when/if the computer went to sleep it managed to corrupt something and you may have to do a full reinstall. If however you can't get anything to work then it's possible that something hardware related is bad.

Calash
April 26th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Sounds like Systemboard or Memory. Try removing one of the memory modules and see if it boots then (assuming 2). If not remove them all and see if it beeps at you. With no memory it should give you a beep code. If not you are looking at a bad system board.

Little_Ho
April 27th, 2010, 02:57 AM
Yes it is most likely the Bios.
If you have a wokring PC so you can download that Bios file and copy it to an USB stick and do a Bios Recovery.

I had a few of teh Acer aspire one doing that.

Display dead
Fan running
power switch light is green
Battery light indicater is green
but nothing seems to start up.

Search for Acer aspire one bios recovery
or look here: http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/08/acer-aspire-one-bios-recovery.html

Hope that helps.
Michael

5BallJuggler
May 7th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Yes it is most likely the Bios.
If you have a wokring PC so you can download that Bios file and copy it to an USB stick and do a Bios Recovery.

I had a few of teh Acer aspire one doing that.

Display dead
Fan running
power switch light is green
Battery light indicater is green
but nothing seems to start up.

Search for Acer aspire one bios recovery
or look here: http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/08/acer-aspire-one-bios-recovery.html

Hope that helps.
Michael

Thanks for that Michael, worked a treat. it kinda freaked me out cos I'd just done an update.

Phil