PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Easy way to edit Grub boot order?

congdonb
April 24th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Is there an easier way (gui based utility tool like Mandriva has) to edit the Grub boot order? I read through the help files on Grub and the process is rather complex and even not recommended to reorder items on the boot loader and I want to readjust this rather often. Each time the kernel is updated a new entry is added and I sometimes want to have other kernels or operating systems loaded as the default until later when I remove those older unused kernels and the Grub auto scan process removes the extra entries.

-Bill

tommcd
April 24th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Is there an easier way (gui based utility tool like Mandriva has) to edit the Grub boot order? I read through the help files on Grub and the process is rather complex and even not recommended to reorder items on the boot loader and I want to readjust this rather often.
To update grub after a new kernel is added (or a new distro is added to your system), simply open a terminal (applications > accessories > terminal) and run:

sudo update-grub
To edit the boot order, simply edit /etc/default/grub file. Add the entry GRUB_DEFAULT=saved. This will set the default OS to be the one that was selected on the last boot. You can also add GRUB_DEFAULT=OS_name
to /etc/default grub to accomplish the same thing.
For these and other options for editing how grub2 works, see this excellent tutorial:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Grub2
And specifically, for editing the boot order:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Grub2#grub%20%28/etc/default/grub%29

Each time the kernel is updated a new entry is added and I sometimes want to have other kernels or operating systems loaded as the default until later when I remove those older unused kernels and the Grub auto scan process removes the extra entries.

Using "sudo update-grub" and editing /etc/default/grub to include "GRUB_DEFAULT=saved" should accomplish this.

And welcome to the Ubuntu forums!

e-Gee
April 24th, 2010, 04:05 PM
You can install startup-manager from synaptic that is gui for that

congdonb
April 24th, 2010, 04:15 PM
Thanks Guys! I used the following:

In the terminal
Code:
gksudo gedit /etc/default/grub
and changed this line to get my desired results
Code:
GRUB_DEFAULT=4
Then ran
Code:
sudo update-grub
I will look into the startup-manager.

-Bill Congdon

congdonb
April 24th, 2010, 04:34 PM
Thanks again!

Installed the startupmanager from Synaptic Package Manager which is exactly what I was looking for.

-Bill Congdon