PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Getting 2 ATI Graphics Card Working With Ubuntu...

El Xando
April 24th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Hey all,
I recently installed Ubuntu and am having some problems getting both my ATI Graphics Cards working.
I have an ATI Radeon 4850, and an ATI Radeon 4350. The 4350 is plugged into the primary of the 2 PCI-E slots on my motherboard, as that is the only configuration that works around my other PCI cards, so it is recognised as the primary by my BIOS, and also by Ubuntu.
I started off by installing Ubuntu 9.04. It only displayed on the one screen hooked up to the 4350. So I went to System > Administration > Hardware Drivers and installed the ATI driver that popped up there. I open Catalyst Control Centre, and it couldn't see my 4850. After trying a few thing, I decided to just delete the Ubuntu installation through Windows 7 (the OS I'm dual booting with, which by the way works for both graphics cards using the official ATI drivers) and installed Ubuntu 10.04 release candidate in it's place. Once the installation finished and the "Press enter to reboot" screen came up I was pleasantly surprised to see this shown on all 3 of my screens, indicating at least the installation knew of both the cards. However, when Ubuntu then started, it was still only shown on the one monitor. I let it install the ATI drivers again, and in Catalyst Control Centre it shows "ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 Series" and an "Unknown Adapter".
How can I get Ubuntu to just recognise both my graphics cards?
Thanks.

El Xando
April 26th, 2010, 04:13 PM
Anyone? Surely someone must have a similar set up...
I'm having to still use Windows while I wait for a reply, googling really doesn't seem to help :(