PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Fluxbuntu?

richs-lxh
April 24th, 2010, 10:58 AM
This was a nice little project and as a Window Manager user (especially *box) I was wondering if anybody knows if there are any updates.

http://fluxbuntu.org/

The site states:

We Are Still Alive And Strong! More News Coming Soon... :)

But the most recent base was Ubuntu 8.10.

NightwishFan
April 24th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Oh, they did update then. Last time I used, it was based off of 7.10. It had the most amazing default theme. :)f

snowpine
April 25th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Fluxbuntu has been a dormant project since at least October 2007; the newest version is a (somewhat buggy) 7.10 "release candidate," which is useless since Gutsy reached "end of life" in April 2009. Too bad; I liked it a lot...

AntiX is a really nice alternative, highly recommended... also CrunchBang (if you're okay with openbox instead of fluxbox). There's also Mint Fluxbox, but I haven't gotten around to trying it yet. You can also, of course, simply "sudo apt-get install fluxbox" in any Ubuntu release. ;)

snowpine
May 3rd, 2010, 01:17 PM
FYI, if you really, really love Fluxbuntu, you can 'sudo do-release-upgrade' to get to 8.04 Hardy. This will get you through until April 2011. Just for fun last night, I tried upgrading from Hardy to Lucid on a virtual machine. It actually worked, to my surprise, but many applications were missing/broken (slim and kazehakase were the most glaring examples). So my experiment did not last very long; I wiped the virtual machine back to Hardy.

Also don't forget you can install the Fluxbuntu wallpaper and fluxbox theme in any fluxbox-based distro; Lucid plus Fluxbox, for example, or AntiX, or Mint Fluxbox, or sidux, or... :)

entikryst
May 6th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Anybody know where I can get the default theme and wallpaper for Fluxbuntu?

snowpine
May 6th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Anybody know where I can get the default theme and wallpaper for Fluxbuntu?

They are on the Fluxbuntu install CD, search for the fluxbuntu-artwork package.

entikryst
May 6th, 2010, 06:55 PM
They are on the Fluxbuntu install CD, search for the fluxbuntu-artwork package.

That seems like a lot of razzmatazz to get a theme and a wallpaper :???: I was hoping for a link or something.

funkyade
May 18th, 2010, 08:06 PM
GO HERE (http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~fluxbuntu-dev/fluxbuntu-project/fluxbuntu-design/files/head:/)

the fluxbox folder has the theme

the rest is obvious...

;)

EDIT: noticed the fluxbuntu releases is now offline... no more ISOs it seems...

snowpine
May 18th, 2010, 08:37 PM
EDIT: noticed the fluxbuntu releases is now offline... no more ISOs it seems...

Bye-bye Fluxbuntu! :)

Too bad, it was my first "geeky" distro and my gateway to a lot of cool things. :(

(edit) The .iso is still here, if you want it for some bizarre reason: http://modzer0.cs.uaf.edu/~hardwarehank/fluxbuntu/7.10/rc/

techrush
May 18th, 2010, 08:39 PM
It was basically put together by a very very small team who had a lot of other things going on. As often is the case in these situations eventually you can only do so much in a day so they had to give it up. Sad story because it was super nice for slightly older systems!

snowpine
May 18th, 2010, 08:48 PM
It was basically put together by a very very small team who had a lot of other things going on. As often is the case in these situations eventually you can only do so much in a day so they had to give it up. Sad story because it was super nice for slightly older systems!

I agree, although the reality is Fluxbuntu's "lightweight" baton has been passed to several other excellent distros. The niche is not stagnant by any means (says a very satisfied CrunchBang user). :)

MikeDK
August 23rd, 2010, 11:01 PM
I used it on my old PII thinkpad E570/E600 it waas a very nice distro, and i kinda miss it, but.....i've started using the minimal install iso, and installed what ever window-manager i like/liked. And its not that difficult to install that way, you just need to search for stuff like menu's and wich filebrowser to use. For starters i used this guide from psychocats http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/minimal and its actually a very nice guide.