PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] adding new file to /usr/share/backgrounds

idrivefast
April 24th, 2010, 10:20 AM
I would really love to add a different picture to the usr/share/backgrounds folder so I can change the login screen picture. How do I do that?

SnickerSnack
April 24th, 2010, 10:46 AM
I'll give instructions for moving the picture below, but first, I don't think that will allow you to change the login picture. For that, you need to open a terminal and do

user@computer:~$ sudo -u gdm dbus-launch gnome-appearance-properties

This opens the appearance manager under the user "gdm" (which controls the login screen), and you can change the picture. The picture need not be in /usr/share/backgrounds; it can be any picture on your system, I think.

But, if you don't know how to move a file from the command line, now's a good time to learn:

From a terminal, go to the place where the picture you want is:

user@computer:~$ cd Pictures

Then copy (or move) the picture to the new directory:

user@computer:~/Pictures$ sudo cp picture.jpg /usr/share/backgrounds

or

user@computer:~/Pictures$ sudo mv picture.jpg /usr/share/backgrounds

(Use sudo only because you need root privileges to copy to that folder. That also makes root the owner of that new file. You will usually not use sudo to move files around in your home directory.)

Now it's there. Verify that with

user@computer:~/Pictures$ ls /usr/share/backgrounds

or

user@computer:~/Pictures$ ls /usr/share/backgrounds | grep picture.jpg

ronnielsen1
April 24th, 2010, 11:55 AM
I usually do sudo nautilus and then work in gui

idrivefast
April 24th, 2010, 06:35 PM
And this is why this OS is so great. Those are both perfect answers. I love to learn the command line and I love short cuts. Thanks guys.

jonny163
April 28th, 2010, 01:44 AM
The first option worked for me, about time I learned how to move with the command line as well. Thanks

xmanx
October 17th, 2010, 02:47 AM
But, if you don't know how to move a file from the command line, now's a good time to learn:

From a terminal, go to the place where the picture you want is:

user@computer:~$ cd PicturesThen copy (or move) the picture to the new directory:

user@computer:~/Pictures$ sudo cp picture.jpg /usr/share/backgrounds

or

user@computer:~/Pictures$ sudo mv picture.jpg /usr/share/backgrounds(Use sudo only because you need root privileges to copy to that folder. That also makes root the owner of that new file. You will usually not use sudo to move files around in your home directory.)

Now it's there. Verify that with

user@computer:~/Pictures$ ls /usr/share/backgrounds

or

user@computer:~/Pictures$ ls /usr/share/backgrounds | grep picture.jpg
It works.
Thanks