PDA

View Full Version : Fossunet - Ubuntu Group

richs-lxh
April 24th, 2010, 09:51 AM
Just a quick message to say that Fossunet (http://fossunet.com) has a new Ubuntu Group (http://fossnet.linux-hardcore.com/pg/groups/2050/ubuntu/).

Other distro users who have already joined in the fun: Mint, Crunchbang, Bsd, Debian, Slackware, Salix.

Fossunet is a completely ad-free, community run, open source based Facebook-alike site for Linux/Foss users.

http://linux-hardcore.com/images/elgg.jpeg

It has recently had an overhaul after different communities placed requests regarding the theme, layout, features etc. And it appears to have done a good job of attracting users from all distro communities so hopefully a few Ubuntu users will enjoy what it has to offer.

New features, include a Wall(wire), Private Messages, Identi.ca and Twitter profile fields, Facebook style live chat, Gallery, Blog, Ablity to send any post, message to over 100 social network sites, Groups, Personal pages, Share Bookmarks, and new features being added.

It's not a Facebook replacement, and doesn't aim to be, just a place for users of all OS's to get together and share their experiences in a free, community environment where everybody has a say.

Being Ad-Free and offering user controlled 100% privacy seems to be what most users have commented on.

Hopefully Ubuntu users will follow the other Lnux distro users and support a FOSS community project.

The Real Dave
April 26th, 2010, 06:35 PM
I gotta say, the layout is graet. There seems to be plenty of interest from other distros, Debian and #! got their claws in quick ;)

If enough people get together, this'll really be a great place to swap ideas and stories.

And yup, there's an Ubuntu group already :)

richs-lxh
April 28th, 2010, 12:58 AM
Thanks The Real Dave. And yes, the other distros users are starting to mount up now. I thought there'd be more of a response from Ubuntu users. Even negative feedback. No worries.

vrkalak
April 29th, 2010, 09:05 AM
All the most fashionable Distros are there. :P

This site has 'potential'

forteller
April 29th, 2010, 09:43 AM
This looks great! Thanks for telling us about it!

I hope it will support OpenID soon.

One question: It's Free/Open Source, but if I install it on my server, will I be able to talk and share with people on Fossunet, join the same groups, etc? That is, is it distributed/federated? If not I really hope that will be added in the future. There are many protocols out there to help do that, like OStatus, OneSocialWeb, etc.

richs-lxh
April 29th, 2010, 10:06 AM
I'll am currently looking at OpenID as well as a Facebook login. I knowm there are many Ubuntu users' groups on Facebook so a few people may like to use that system. However, although adding features is nice, we still want to keep it stable and fast.

Currently Fossunet allows you to recieve your Twitter and Identi.ca messages to your Fossunet profile. All blog, wall, bookmarks, posts can be sent to over 100 social networks. In fact most of us have our Twitter and Identica accounts linked so that the Wire posts all appear on our other social network accounts simultaneously.

It's a great way to share information to multiple sites all at once.

Thank you very much for your feedback, it's really appreciated :)

forteller
May 4th, 2010, 09:20 AM
I'll am currently looking at OpenID as well as a Facebook login. I knowm there are many Ubuntu users' groups on Facebook so a few people may like to use that system. However, although adding features is nice, we still want to keep it stable and fast.

Just remember that OpenID is Free and Open, while Facebook is closed and evil! ;)

Currently Fossunet allows you to recieve your Twitter and Identi.ca messages to your Fossunet profile. All blog, wall, bookmarks, posts can be sent to over 100 social networks. In fact most of us have our Twitter and Identica accounts linked so that the Wire posts all appear on our other social network accounts simultaneously.

It's a great way to share information to multiple sites all at once.

That's good, but it's not what I meant. Because this way you have to up an account on the other sites and duplicate all your messages there. With OStatus (http://status.net/wiki/OStatus) or the like others could subscribe to your account directly from other services like StatusNet. No need for duplication of accounts and messages. It's so much better!