PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Flash flicker

Gannin
April 24th, 2010, 07:03 AM
I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing any flickering with Flash? For instance, if you're playing a game, some of the objects and graphics in the game randomly flicker, or if you're watching a video on YouTube with annotations, the annotations frequently flicker.

Alan James
April 24th, 2010, 07:50 AM
I have noticed that while using Flash on most Linux distros. On my laptop I have had trouble with Flash and my video card and for some reason I am not able to watch You Tube full screen. I don't think Flash is as well supported on Linux as it is on other systems but in my experience it keeps getting better.

Gannin
April 24th, 2010, 08:04 AM
I didn't used to have this problem back with Flash 9, only with Flash 10 and the new testing Flash 10.1. A while ago I dug up an old version of Flash 9 and used that and the flicker went away, but the sound didn't work.

The flickering makes some Flash games hard to play.

Alan James
April 24th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Yeah, I have experienced that. This may be off the subject but I can't wait for the first draft of HTML5 to come out. It should replace a large number of Flash videos, Flash websites, and Flash games. Plus HTML5 will be an open standard and work in every browser on every system. Unfortunately its still a number of years away.

Naggobot
April 24th, 2010, 03:27 PM
You are not alone with this problem.

There is at least one related bug report

https://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/FP-1692

ehabh
May 15th, 2010, 02:17 PM
I am on ubuntu 10.04 64 bit and I have this problem

jmberumenb
May 15th, 2010, 05:24 PM
Wait for HTML5? No way, I can use any Flash games (including DarkOrbit) in Windows Explorer/Firefox/Chrome without any problem. Only Ubuntu give me this kind of problems.

I hope they can fix this.

Naggobot
May 17th, 2010, 04:28 AM
It seems that Ubuntu 10.04 lucid behaves better. I tried

http://www.playedonline.com/game/597394/civiballs-2.html

which was unplayable in Karmic due to flickering of elements. In lucid there is no flicker with this particular flash.

Now this of course means that this particular flash works and I would recommend against making generalizations from this one instance.

Has anyone else similar experiences with lucid?

soltanis
May 17th, 2010, 08:06 AM
What kind of graphics card do you have? Flash tends to flicker on less powerful cards (on Linux; on Windows it does fine), I think because it's just not that well coded in Linux (blame Adobe). My desktop is flicker-free, probably because it can power through whatever inefficiencies Adobe left as a gift, but my less powerful and more old laptop does experience some flicker.

Gannin
May 17th, 2010, 08:43 PM
I have an nVidia 8600 GT using the nVidia binary drivers.

mydoom5
May 25th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Same here. I have 10.04 installed and a 9700m gt with the latest drivers installed. Isn't there any workaround to avoid this situation?
I have two friends of mine who also installed lucid lynx, and both are experiencing this.

ernsm
June 9th, 2010, 10:19 PM
i've the same issue in chrome. fullscreen of the vodeos of the german news site spiegel.de . its rly annoying...