PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Import home directory

anlgalways
April 24th, 2010, 12:27 AM
Hello,
My system got corrupted but I recovered the files in the home directory. So I have /home/gabe on an external hard drive.

Is there any way I can create a new user using the files on my external hard drive for a home directory?

labinnsw
April 25th, 2010, 02:54 AM
Personally, I would not recommend it, for the simple reason that you would need to have the external drive connected at all times.

If I wanted to do this regardless, I would not change the default set up of the system. I would instead make a symlink in /user/home.
sudo ln -s /mdeia/externaldrivename/home/gabe /user/home/gabe1.

jagan185
April 25th, 2010, 05:18 AM
Hi I want to upgrade to Ubuntu 10.04 LTS stable version (When it is released). Can I export all my current packages, settings , home directory from Ubuntu 9.10. What about the boot loader. I'm now dual booting with Windows 7. Can I do that after upgrading. What are the issues I may have to face after upgrading, like boot loader, current settings and files (data loss). Please Help me with this and some tips and advises for upgrading with out loosing present data and settings. Looking forward to your valuable tips.

labinnsw
April 25th, 2010, 07:34 AM
Hi I want to upgrade to Ubuntu 10.04 LTS stable version (When it is released). Can I export all my current packages, settings , home directory from Ubuntu 9.10. What about the boot loader. I'm now dual booting with Windows 7. Can I do that after upgrading. What are the issues I may have to face after upgrading, like boot loader, current settings and files (data loss). Please Help me with this and some tips and advises for upgrading with out loosing present data and settings. Looking forward to your valuable tips.

Your Update manager will handle the process for you. It will tell you when the new release is ready. All you will have to do, is chose to upgrade and follow the prompts.