PDA

View Full Version : Fox News Article: "Freaky Physics Proves Parallel Universes Exist"

MasterNetra
April 23rd, 2010, 11:50 PM
"Freaky Physics Proves Parallel Universes Exist"

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/04/05/freaky-physics-proves-parallel-universes/

" ... The strange discovery by quantum physicists at the University of California Santa Barbara means that an object you can see in front of you may exist simultaneously in a parallel universe -- a multi-state condition that has scientists theorizing that traveling through time may be much more than just the plaything of science fiction writers. ... "

I figured this worthy of the forum.

swoll1980
April 23rd, 2010, 11:59 PM

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/04/05/freaky-physics-proves-parallel-universes/

" ... The strange discovery by quantum physicists at the University of California Santa Barbara means that an object you can see in front of you may exist simultaneously in a parallel universe -- a multi-state condition that has scientists theorizing that traveling through time may be much more than just the plaything of science fiction writers. ... "

I don't get what they proved, or how. :confused:

MasterNetra
April 24th, 2010, 12:02 AM
I don't get what they proved, or how. :confused:

Did you actually go to the news article and read it?

sixthwheel
April 24th, 2010, 12:02 AM
My other self in the other universe is using Vista.
I must find him, and show him Ubuntu.
On a serious note, I hope he's doing better then I am.

swoll1980
April 24th, 2010, 12:06 AM
Did you actually go to the news article and read it?

Of course. They said they had a piece of metal that moved, and didn't move at the same time. What the hell are these people talking about? I want some of what ever they're smoking.

cgroza
April 24th, 2010, 12:09 AM
I don't know what to believe any more!!!!

MasterNetra
April 24th, 2010, 12:11 AM
I don't know what to believe any more!!!!

I dunno about you but I've for the most part have held onto the idea that anything is possible under the right conditions.

MasterNetra
April 24th, 2010, 12:13 AM
My other self in the other universe is using Vista.
I must find him, and show him Ubuntu.
On a serious note, I hope he's doing better then I am.

I'm sure some of you are and some of you aren't. And some just the same. If there is indeed a infinite number of universes out there then it stands to reason that no matter how unlikely something is it absolutely exists somewhere and/or in some universe.

wilee-nilee
April 24th, 2010, 12:17 AM
Here is a link to two scholars in separate areas, in order to get the full interview with Lisa Randal they are together, check out E.O Wilson though he is a interesting person.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-45154219728824809#

Some areas of the study of physics, cosmology, astronomy, suggest that there may be a infinite number of dimensions and universes.

Here is another very interesting idea that is being realized that was way ahead of time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Many-worlds_interpretation

I am quite suspect of this experiment and hypothesis in the thread though. The brain does funny things when it comes to observing we really all the time see what our brains interpret, not necessarily what is actually there.

agnes
April 24th, 2010, 12:25 AM
The news article is very vague ... plus where is the proof.

Then again Fox News has told lies and vague things before (and that's a fact) so I personally definitely wouldn't trust this news (whatever it exactly is anyway), until other news media report about it.

The concept of parallel universes is interesting but I guess one could better read some Wiki's about that.

I want some of what ever they're smoking.
My thoughts :biggrin:

swoll1980
April 24th, 2010, 12:26 AM
The news article is very vague ... plus where is the proof.

That's what I'm saying.

Le-Froid
April 24th, 2010, 12:27 AM
I always believed there was an unlimited amount of universes like the one we live in, dunno how it is proved by freezing a piece of metal though :| How can they be 100% sure they were looking at another universe and not some other strange anomaly?

MasterNetra
April 24th, 2010, 12:29 AM
Here is a link to two scholars in separate areas, in order to get the full interview with Lisa Randal they are together, check out E.O Wilson though he is a interesting person.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-45154219728824809#

Some areas of the study of physics, cosmology, astronomy, suggest that there may be a infinite number of dimensions and universes.

Here is another very interesting idea that is being realized that was way ahead of time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Many-worlds_interpretation

I am quite suspect of this experiment and hypothesis in the thread though. The brain does funny things when it comes to observing we really all the time see what our brains interpret, not necessarily what is actually there.

Perhaps but if there is any truth to what the article claims was proven, then it would seem that there potentially exists a infinite number of universes occupying the same space but possibly separated by some omnipresent barrier that exists at some dimension not observable by us or interact-able under normal circumstances. Though the experiment may only confirm the existence of a second universe the chance that more exists goes up considerably.

Directive 4
April 24th, 2010, 12:35 AM
i think what they did was put the fork into it's ground state by cooling it (state of lowerest possible energy) then give it just a little bit of energy, now maybe it's ground state, also ground state plus one.

it's been done before on an atom etc,

this is the first time it's been done on an object we can see

MasterNetra
April 24th, 2010, 12:38 AM
i think what they did was put the fork into it's ground state by cooling it (state of lowerest possible energy) then give it just a little bit of energy, now maybe it's ground state, also ground state plus one.

it's been done before on an atom etc,

this is the first time it's been done on an object we can see

So there might be a good possibility that there might be some truth to this article?

K.Mandla
April 24th, 2010, 12:39 AM
Fox News in and of itself has always been proof enough for me that alternative realities existed, and were interfering with our own.

Chances are if the article was vague, the reporter didn't understand what they were talking about.

wilee-nilee
April 24th, 2010, 12:42 AM
Perhaps but if there is any truth to what the article claims was proven, then it would seem that there potentially exists a infinite number of universes occupying the same space but possibly separated by some omnipresent barrier that exists at some dimension not observable by us or interact-able under normal circumstances. Though the experiment may only confirm the existence of a second universe the chance that more exists goes up considerably.

I think Ed Witten has covered this quite well m theory, the areas in between the 11 dimensions are called branes=membranes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M_theory

Ed Witten is considered to be one of the top theorists and is the most awarded.

I am not trying to argue against the hypothesis, but this would be more valid after it is published under peer review. As of now it is just a hypothesis with one set of experiments, this does not even come close to scientific inquiry standards, it is pop information as of now. Cool though I like to see whats going on with the people who work in this area.

Also watch the Lisa Randal interview, she is brilliant, and suggests the possibilities of infinite universes.

@K.mandala, that is very funny.

JDShu
April 24th, 2010, 12:49 AM
Fox News in and of itself has always been proof enough for me that alternative realities existed, and were interfering with our own.

Chances are if the article was vague, the reporter didn't understand what they were talking about.

Best post I've read today.

Directive 4
April 24th, 2010, 12:49 AM
So there might be a good possibility that there might be some truth to this article?

yea, it's true,

heres the paper

http://www.physorg.com/news188074320.html

The Real Dave
April 24th, 2010, 12:53 AM
We've theorised about Parallel Universes ever since we discovered that an electron behaves like a wave, until such time as we observe it, at which it's a particle.

Quantum mechanics is strange, but wonderful stuff.

undecim
April 24th, 2010, 01:10 AM
If there is indeed a infinite number of universes out there then it stands to reason that no matter how unlikely something is it absolutely exists somewhere and/or in some universe.

Not necessarily.

For example, suppose that there is a universe for every whole number, and each universe has exactly that many particles, (or quanta of energy, or whatever measure of mass/energy you prefer.) A 1 particle universe, a 2 particle universe, etc... There are an infinite number of universes in that set, but in that set, there clearly can't be every possible universe.

MasterNetra
April 24th, 2010, 01:14 AM
We've theorised about Parallel Universes ever since we discovered that an electron behaves like a wave, until such time as we observe it, at which it's a particle.

Quantum mechanics is strange, but wonderful stuff.

Indeed. Though the term strange reminds me of when people refer to something as abnormal. I often refer to such things as rare or uncommon occurrences I mean is there really such a thing as abnormal? I would think anything the happens that is local to our universe is normal. But then again my perception of what is normal might just be broader and/or different, so i dunno.

Not necessarily.

For example, suppose that there is a universe for every whole number, and each universe has exactly that many particles, (or quanta of energy, or whatever measure of mass/energy you prefer.) A 1 particle universe, a 2 particle universe, etc... There are an infinite number of universes in that set, but in that set, there clearly can't be every possible universe.

Obviously the multi-verse isn't completely like that otherwise we wouldn't exist. And even if it was the majority within a infinite line of universes there would be a infinite amount of universes with as much if not more energy and matter then us. Its the very nature of infinity itself, no matter how remote the possibility of something, in a infinity its exist for sure and there exists a infinite amount of it. To argue otherwise only shows you don't get what infinity is.

Directive 4
April 24th, 2010, 01:33 AM
yea, so it doesn't really say anything about multiverse or parallel universes,

thats just the reporter looking for headlines, #

what it shows is

the theory of quantum mechanics applies to the motion of large objects,

a little different from proving multiverse's a gogo

an infinity of infinity's

JDShu
April 24th, 2010, 01:35 AM
Obviously the multi-verse isn't completely like that otherwise we wouldn't exist. And even if it was the majority within a infinite line of universes there would be a infinite amount of universes with as much if not more energy and matter then us. Its the very nature of infinity itself, no matter how remote the possibility of something, in a infinity its exist for sure and there exists a infinite amount of it. To argue otherwise only shows you don't get what infinity is.

S/he is referring to the difference between cardinal and ordinal infinities. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinity#Set_theory)

mobilediesel
April 24th, 2010, 01:36 AM
Of course. They said they had a piece of metal that moved, and didn't move at the same time. What the hell are these people talking about? I want some of what ever they're smoking.

Yes, I was expecting the date on that "article" to be 4-20-2010.

Also, they hit it like a tuning fork? I've seen a tuning fork. Pretty much anything vibrating does, indeed, look like it's moving and holding still at the same time.

lovinglinux
April 24th, 2010, 01:37 AM

:lolflag:

Superb comment. =D>

I'm surprised they didn't promote Fringe TV series on that article.

Directive 4
April 24th, 2010, 01:47 AM
Yes, I was expecting the date on that "article" to be 4-20-2010.

Also, they hit it like a tuning fork? I've seen a tuning fork. Pretty much anything vibrating does, indeed, look like it's moving and holding still at the same time.

i think it's the act of observing the fork that forces it to choose which state it is in,

either non vibrating, or vibrating,

like that dudes cat, whats his face,

Schrödinger

lovinglinux
April 24th, 2010, 01:49 AM
i think it's the act of observing the fork that forces it to choose which state it is in,

either non vibrating, or vibrating,

like that dudes cat, whats his face,

Schrödinger

Those scientists watched Matrix too many times, but at least they didn't use a spoon for the experiment.

Directive 4
April 24th, 2010, 01:55 AM
Those scientists watched Matrix too many times, but at least they didn't use a spoon for the experiment.

yea, that's the problem with science,

you can use it to prove anything that's even remotely true:biggrin:

chappajar
April 24th, 2010, 01:59 AM
''Freaky Physics Proves Parallel Universes Exist''

'' ... The strange discovery by quantum physicists at the University of California Santa Barbara means that an object you can see in front of you may exist simultaneously in a parallel universe -- a multi-state condition that has scientists theorizing that traveling through time may be much more than just the plaything of science fiction writers. ... ''

Getting your science news from somewhere like Fox is always a bad idea: the paddle is 3 micrometres (hair is about 100 micrometres thick).
Huge in terms of physics, but not what Fox reported.

Also note that the scientist who did this made no mention of time travel, Fox had to find others to bring that subject up.
Cleland even says straight out on what this could be used for: ''There might be some interesting application, but frankly, I don't have one now.''

Be careful where you get your news from, and take it with the appropriate amount of salt.

chappajar
April 24th, 2010, 02:01 AM
Getting your science news from somewhere like Fox is always a bad idea: the paddle is 3 micrometres (hair is about 100 micrometres thick).
Huge in terms of physics, but not what Fox reported.

Also note that the scientist who did this made no mention of time travel, Fox had to find others to bring that subject up.
Cleland even says straight out on what this could be used for: ''There might be some interesting application, but frankly, I don't have one now.''

Be careful where you get your news from, and take it with the appropriate amount of salt.

Source for that quote: http://www.nature.com/news/2010/100317/full/news.2010.130.html

toupeiro
April 24th, 2010, 02:03 AM
Its fox news... Just smile and nod...

undecim
April 24th, 2010, 02:07 AM

Actually, I'm afraid that you don't get what infinity is.

Infinity doesn't mean that you have everything possible. The term for that would be universality.

The number of digits in the decimal form of a number like 1/3 is infinite, but the only digit you have is 3. The number of digits in the decimal form of pi is infinite, but it is also (believed to be) universal, meaning that any string of digits exists somewhere in pi.

The same property also applies to an infinite set of universes. Just because you have an infinite number of them, doesn't mean that every possibility exists.

Also, for those of you who are wondering how something can be "moving, but not moving at the same time", read up on quantum mechanics. That's the theory behind quantum computers that will eventually be cracking SSH keys faster than computers today can make them.

MasterNetra
April 24th, 2010, 03:08 AM
Actually, I'm afraid that you don't get what infinity is.

Infinity doesn't mean that you have everything possible. The term for that would be universality.

The number of digits in the decimal form of a number like 1/3 is infinite, but the only digit you have is 3. The number of digits in the decimal form of pi is infinite, but it is also (believed to be) universal, meaning that any string of digits exists somewhere in pi.

The same property also applies to an infinite set of universes. Just because you have an infinite number of them, doesn't mean that every possibility exists.

Also, for those of you who are wondering how something can be "moving, but not moving at the same time", read up on quantum mechanics. That's the theory behind quantum computers that will eventually be cracking SSH keys faster than computers today can make them.

Granted. Though I did fail to mention that the possibility factor I was basing off of the notion that quantum particles or something smaller is responsible for how things behave/react or in orders responsible for the universe's rules and that the rules can be changed based upon the configuration and/or structure of these quantum or sub-quantum particles. But all that said I suppose arguing about this amounts to nothing more then blowing smoke and pondering what might be. We obviously must learn considerably more to know anything for certain.

swoll1980
April 24th, 2010, 03:18 AM

It's not that I don't understand what they're talking about. I just don't know how what they did proved what they're saying it proved. Keep in mind also that these are all theories, and no one really know what they're talking about, and even if a theory is applied, and works as planned, it doesn't necessarily work because of the reason they thought it would. Pretend a sailer believed that the world was flat, but their was a portal that brought him back where he started if he sailed for long enough. While the application of his theory would have worked as planned, the reason it worked would be completely wrong. There is a name for this type of error in logic, but I can't think of what it's called.

MasterNetra
April 24th, 2010, 03:23 AM
It's not that I don't understand what they're talking about. I just don't know how what they did proved what they're saying it proved. Keep in mind also that these are all theories, and no one really know what they're talking about, and even if a theory is applied, and works as planned, it doesn't necessarily work because of the reason they thought it would. Pretend a sailer believed that the world was flat, but their was a portal that brought him back where he started if he sailed for long enough. While the application of his theory would have worked as planned, the reason it worked was completely wrong.

True, which begs the question will we ever know what the heck we are doing? :p

undecim
April 24th, 2010, 03:30 AM
It's not that I don't understand what they're talking about. I just don't know how what they did proved what they're saying it proved. Keep in mind also that these are all theories, and no one really know what they're talking about, and even if a theory is applied, and works as planned, it doesn't necessarily work because of the reason they thought it would. Pretend a sailer believed that the world was flat, but their was a portal that brought him back where he started if he sailed for long enough. While the application of his theory would have worked as planned, the reason it worked was completely wrong.

what they discovered is that the theories of quantum mechanics apply to the large world just as much as the small world. Previously, the largest thing anyone ever got a quantum state was a virus, and before that it was just small molecules.

In other words, the conflicting worlds of Einstein and Planck are not just related, but the same world described in different ways.

Letrazzrot
April 24th, 2010, 03:44 AM
It's not that I don't understand what they're talking about. I just don't know how what they did proved what they're saying it proved. Keep in mind also that these are all theories, and no one really know what they're talking about, and even if a theory is applied, and works as planned, it doesn't necessarily work because of the reason they thought it would. Pretend a sailer believed that the world was flat, but their was a portal that brought him back where he started if he sailed for long enough. While the application of his theory would have worked as planned, the reason it worked would be completely wrong. There is a name for this type of error in logic, but I can't think of what it's called.

You probably are referring to "questionable cause."

It's important to realize, however, that there is a difference between having a mathematical model that works and understanding the meaning behind it. Newton's Laws worked pretty good for predicting how objects fall, but it had nothing to say about what gravity really was.

Other theories, such as evolution by natural selection, or the "round earth" theory, are based more on empirical evidence, observation, etc. Science isn't generally in the business of proving things -- that's mathematics speciality (and math is limited to proving things within it's own framework).

Quantum mechanics includes mathematical models that seem to predict how the universe will behave with amazing precision and accuracy. It's the interpretation of the equations that has so far proven difficult to unravel. There are multiple interpretations of quantum mechanics, and some of them involve the so-called "many-worlds." Then there are others that don't require multiple universes at all.

armageddon08
April 24th, 2010, 04:39 AM
I want to believe...

madjr
April 24th, 2010, 10:46 AM

OP , i also believe in this, i've known it for a while now

i recommend the Universe episodes, probably the best series

http://www.history.com/shows/the-universe

and yes time traveling is also possible, is not a matter of how anymore, is just a matter of resources and "time"

at least traveling to the future is so much easier than traveling back

now you know that Planet of the Apes wasnt too way off

madjr
April 24th, 2010, 11:16 AM

yea, that's the problem with science,

you can use it to prove anything that's even remotely true:biggrin:

yea, seems science is the new religion

and seen heaven/hell as parallel/alternative dimensions.

hmm it may be a coincidence but i never seen Keanu Reeves do something other than science-fiction/religious movies (and probably for the better ^^)

note: please avoid making this science vs religion. Just mentioning this because it comes up a lot when talking about the parallel dimension thingies

sanderella
April 24th, 2010, 12:35 PM

rubbish:popcorn:

ronnielsen1
April 24th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Maybe I'm rich in another universe

Glucklich
April 24th, 2010, 02:05 PM
I have little scientific knowledge but I did watched Lisa Randall's interview with attention. And I don't believe I heard her mention parallel universes. Well, at least not in the terms Fox put it, like there might be an alternate reality occupying this very same space. I just saw her mention the existence of different dimensions which basically consists to what Carl Sagan explained very clearly in his show (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnURElCzGc0), without the reference to the branes that Ms. Randall made, which keep different dimensional objects out. Or am I just lost in translation?

NCLI
April 24th, 2010, 02:13 PM

hmm it may be a coincidence but i never seen Keanu Reeves do something other than science-fiction/religious movies (and probably for the better ^^)

note: please avoid making this science vs religion. Just mentioning this because it comes up a lot when talking about the parallel dimension thingies

Not making this into a science vs. religion thread, bu the difference is that, in order for a hypothesis to be considered scientifically, you must be able to prove or disprove it.
In order to be accepted by religion, a hypothesis must simple be interpreted from the bible.

Hyporeal
April 24th, 2010, 02:42 PM
The parallel universe theory is worth considering, at least casually. However, in no way did this experiment provide evidence one way or the other. Be wary of drawing philosophical conclusions.

MoebusNet
April 24th, 2010, 03:04 PM

{OT} Dude, you mean you missed "Point Break"? You've been deprived, my man. Keanu plays FBI agent chasing bank robbers; excellent stunts! {/OT}

aklo
April 24th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Well they can prove it but it might not be what they think...

I think it is simply too far fetched....we have plenty of problems to think of rather than a parellel universe.

Make sea water drinkable on a cheap scale (Not desalination too costly), make solar energy as the main source of power.

Ric_NYC
April 24th, 2010, 05:03 PM
I thought Foxnews was the Parallel Universe.

swoll1980
April 24th, 2010, 05:08 PM
i never seen Keanu Reeves do something other than science-fiction/religious movies

Speed (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111257/) is one of my favorite movies.

"Pop quiz, hot shot"

madjr
April 24th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Well they can prove it but it might not be what they think...

I think it is simply too far fetched....we have plenty of problems to think of rather than a parellel universe.

Make sea water drinkable on a cheap scale (Not desalination too costly), make solar energy as the main source of power.

just a few are actually studying these theories.

in any one area, only a handful of scientist/researchers are actually being hired by the government, so progress for human kind is slow.

scientists/researchers/doctors get paid dimes compared to athletes, even thus sports is non essential to humanity

most of the progress is done in the military front. But still it's said we're 100s of years behind

oh and majority of politicians business is not to bring cheap to the masses, else they're the ones losing money from you.

maybe in a parallel universe things are different :lolflag:

Mr. Picklesworth
April 24th, 2010, 06:15 PM
I wish mainstream media stopped trying to describe parallel universe theories with those ridiculous analogies like "the parallel universe has a version of you who likes the colour red."

I know they aren't a science journal, and these are analogies (although they don't read like them) but it's just so silly. I'm sure they could make a more interesting (and smarter) article by actually talking about what's going on.

As it was, I thought that was a poorly written article. Just meandered from one thought to the next without making any effort to connect them.

ratcheer
April 24th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Indeed. Though the term strange reminds me of when people refer to something as abnormal. I often refer to such things as rare or uncommon occurrences I mean is there really such a thing as abnormal? I would think anything the happens that is local to our universe is normal. But then again my perception of what is normal might just be broader and/or different, so i dunno.

Maybe that is why you are in Mystic Ruin.

Tim

Letrazzrot
April 24th, 2010, 06:40 PM
OP , i also believe in this, i've known it for a while now

i recommend the Universe episodes, probably the best series

http://www.history.com/shows/the-universe

and yes time traveling is also possible, is not a matter of how anymore, is just a matter of resources and "time"

at least traveling to the future is so much easier than traveling back

now you know that Planet of the Apes wasnt too way off

For those who like to read science books and want a good discussion of what time really is, I recommend Brian Greene's "The Fabric of the Cosmos." A bit technical at times, but he makes some good analogies that clarify the whole space-time thing (at least ,for me).

He also goes over the basics of quantum mechanics in this book, which would give insight into the OP's article.

MasterNetra
April 24th, 2010, 11:00 PM
Maybe that is why you are in Mystic Ruin.

Tim

Oh yes, because here everything that is usually rare elsewhere is common here. :p