PDA

View Full Version : 10 out of 10 for 10.4

owise1
April 23rd, 2010, 11:29 PM
Have installed the 10.4 netbook beta2 on a eePC701 and am very very impressed. All worked out of the box and very slick experience.

I was also pleasantly surprised when I was able to get my bluetooth headphones working by just pairing them - a pain on every other system I tried.

Cheers

Dave

chrisxuk
April 23rd, 2010, 11:33 PM
Sounds good. I'm looking forward to upgrading! :)

swoll1980
April 24th, 2010, 12:02 AM
10.04 is great. The only problem I'm having with it is Plymouth. It doesn't work with my GT250 for what ever reason. It's not that important to me, but it would be cool if it worked.

cariboo
April 24th, 2010, 01:18 AM
After a fresh install of the RC with the alternate install iso, Plymouth works the way in should on my office system with a 9400GT. On my home system with a GT210 plymouth works the way it should, this system has been updated from beta 1, actually since I installed the GT210 it's worked better than it did with the onboard 6150SE.

Both systems use the restricted drivers, 195.36.15

swoll1980
April 24th, 2010, 01:25 AM
After a fresh install of the RC with the alternate install iso, Plymouth works the way in should on my office system with a 9400GT. On my home system with a GT210 plymouth works the way it should, this system has been updated from beta 1, actually since I installed the GT210 it's worked better than it did with the onboard 6150SE.

Both systems use the restricted drivers, 195.36.15

I should add that Plymouth works great with my GT250, and the free driver. It isn't until I install 195.36.15 that it stops working. If I remove the restricted driver it works fine again.

Captain Smiley Pants
April 24th, 2010, 01:29 AM
10.04 is great. The only problem I'm having with it is Plymouth. It doesn't work with my GT250 for what ever reason. It's not that important to me, but it would be cool if it worked.

Yeah dude, Plymouth is being a pain for me too on my Eee 1005HA netbook. The graphics card is an intel 945 GMA. It'd be great if another user could fill me in on if their card also works with it. I shouldn't have to install xplash for a boot splash...

Otherwise, 10.04 is fantastic!

cariboo
April 24th, 2010, 01:47 AM
I have a Compaq mini 110 with the same graphics chipset, and an atom N270, suspend and hibernate work so well I haven't rebooted since the Beta 2 feature freeze, So I couldn't tell you how well plymouth works now, but earlier all I had was a flashing cursor in the top left corner for about 15 seconds, then the gdm login screen. One thing I did notice is that wireless automagically connects after coming out of suspend after todays updates, but that may be because I had to reboot one of my router yesterday.

MooPi
April 24th, 2010, 01:56 AM
Why is plymouth so important or should I say why does it get so much attention. It's just a boot splash and nothing more. FLUFF:confused:

koleoptero
April 24th, 2010, 01:59 AM
I wish I could remove plymouth. But for some reason it also wants to remove half the gnome desktop with it.:confused:

RiceMonster
April 24th, 2010, 02:04 AM
Why is plymouth so important or should I say why does it get so much attention. It's just a boot splash and nothing more. FLUFF:confused:

Probably because it offers a "seemless" bootup and uses kernel mode setting.

MooPi
April 24th, 2010, 02:08 AM
Probably because it offers a "seemless" bootup and uses kernel mode setting.
Yeah I've read this but what does it do for the experience? What does it do for perfomance? I seem to be missing the importance.

RiceMonster
April 24th, 2010, 02:14 AM
Yeah I've read this but what does it do for the experience? What does it do for perfomance? I seem to be missing the importance.

plymouth or kernel mode setting? Plymouth doesn't really do anything for performance. KMS doesn't really improve performance either, it just works better for suspend and resume, and sort of smoothens graphics up, and reduces flickering. Because of KMS, plymouth is also able to use your native resolution.

dragos240
April 24th, 2010, 02:55 AM
@op: 10.04

kenweill
April 24th, 2010, 03:05 AM
Have installed the 10.4 netbook beta2 on a eePC701 and am very very impressed. All worked out of the box and very slick experience.

I was also pleasantly surprised when I was able to get my bluetooth headphones working by just pairing them - a pain on every other system I tried.

Cheers

Dave

Good for you. Me, i still have a very slow flash performance in 10.04RC. Farmville flash effects is too slow in Ubuntu. Probably, not just in ubuntu but in linux in general. It's a little faster in PCLinuxOS 2010, but not as smooth as running it in firefox in windows.

Ewingo401
April 24th, 2010, 04:16 AM
@op: 10.04

Thank you. I was beginning to think I was the only one that got annoyed when people leave the 0 out of Ubuntu release numbers.

swoll1980
April 24th, 2010, 04:18 AM

Absolutely nothing. It's just better to see a pretty boot splash rather than a bunch of random flickering and a bunch of crap that I could care less about.

owise1
April 25th, 2010, 08:18 AM
Thank you. I was beginning to think I was the only one that got annoyed when people leave the 0 out of Ubuntu release numbers.

what a lot of value you added to the thread

Old Marcus
April 25th, 2010, 08:57 AM
Absolutely nothing. It's just better to see a pretty boot splash rather than a bunch of random flickering and a bunch of crap that I could care less about.
I take it you care about it quite a bit then. ;)

[/pedant]

tom66
April 25th, 2010, 09:39 AM
Plymouth doesn't work with fglrx because of user mode setting. Well, it works, but it's in 16 colors and 640x480, so isn't really 'seamless'. However the radeon/radeonhd drives work great!