PDA

View Full Version : Wikipedia makes Google Chrome not so scary to a tin-foil hat guy like me...

Pogeymanz
April 23rd, 2010, 11:28 PM
It looks like almost all of the tracking Google-Big-Brother stuff can be turned off.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Chrome#Usage_tracking

Now, just to get NoScript and/or Ghostery for it and us paranoid types can use it...

mkvnmtr
April 23rd, 2010, 11:43 PM
I have Iron installed which is said to have removed most of the tracking from chrome. I also have IPBlocker-IPList installed and it seems to still block some google stuff- I agree with you I will not use it much until it has something as good as NoScript and I want some thing like Ghostery

mikewhatever
April 23rd, 2010, 11:51 PM
Ghostery has been sold to an advertising company, haven't you heard? Just read some of the user comments about it.

MaxIBoy
April 24th, 2010, 12:25 AM
Ghostery has been sold to an advertising company, haven't you heard? Just read some of the user comments about it.
Oh wow, I hadn't heard about that. According to their new FAQ, they aren't going to collect any info unless you opt in, and even then there will be nothing personally identifiable. I just hope they stick to their word, but until I can get the time to look at it with a packet sniffer, I'm switching to NoScript the first time Ghostery tries to install an update. I really don't like NoScript as much, but I'm quite worried about the conflict of interest this change in events might be creating.

lovinglinux
April 24th, 2010, 01:12 AM

I really missed that one.