PDA

View Full Version : Hulu to charge $10 subscription fee.

swoll1980
April 23rd, 2010, 05:38 PM
Link (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2010/04/hulu-pushes-forward-with-995-subscription-service.html)

The once 100% free Hulu online TV service will now provide only the last 5 episodes of your favorite TV shows for free. Access to any additional programs will now require a subscription to Hulu plus, a $9.95/month premium service. Your thoughts? I can't find a link that goes into specifics, but I saw it on Attack of the Show on G4

dragos240
April 23rd, 2010, 05:39 PM
I never use it. I haven't even visited the website. I couldn't care less.

Dragonbite
April 23rd, 2010, 06:43 PM
Aww... that's a bummer.

samalex
April 23rd, 2010, 06:45 PM
Well that sucks. We don't use Hulu all that much, but it is nice to have as a fall-back when we miss our fave show. I think it's been proven time and time again that you can't give away something for free then throw-up a paywall. Yeah some people will pay $10/month for it, but with many already paying $8/month for Netflix and $60/month for cable tv, there's no way I'd pay another $10/month just for Hulu. Now if Hulu offered 85% or even 75% of the programming found on cable I could see dropping cable for Hulu only, but it's not to that point.

I wish media outlets would get together and create a standard format and outlet to publish video because it seems like everyone's trying to reinvent the wheel.

Sam

Tristam Green
April 23rd, 2010, 06:55 PM
I agree with Sam. I think that I'd probably pay the subscription fee if they were to get shows at the same time the networks premiere them, ad-free.

For now I'll stick to watching Firefly and Star Wars: The Clone Wars on my DVD and Blu-Ray collections.

Crunchy the Headcrab
April 23rd, 2010, 06:55 PM
Meh, the last five episodes is good enough for me. If it becomes as advertisement laden as tv, I'll be done with it though.

Groucho Marxist
April 23rd, 2010, 07:11 PM

I used to use it, and from a traditional broadcasting standpoint charging for online viewing makes fiscal sense.

Ric_NYC
April 23rd, 2010, 07:21 PM
Now that I discovered it...

dsavi
April 23rd, 2010, 07:23 PM
This changes nothing. I'm not in the US. Freaking Hulu.

I suppose Spotify and Voddler are Europe's revenge for those, I use Spotify all the time (Haven't got a Voddler invite).

Linye
April 23rd, 2010, 07:25 PM
Back to torrents then.

Minipalmer
April 23rd, 2010, 07:29 PM
Back to torrents then.
Haha.

There's nothing wrong with the last five episodes. I only use it the next day to watch an episode I missed. The title of this thread scared be, but nothing to worry about.

Maheriano
April 23rd, 2010, 07:32 PM
It'd be worth it if it came to Canada. It's geo blocked here.

CharlesA
April 23rd, 2010, 07:37 PM
Heh, I only used it to Watch AirWolf and The A-Team, but that was rarely. I might as well just buy the dvds.

Dragonbite
April 23rd, 2010, 07:43 PM
Now if Hulu offered 85% or even 75% of the programming found on cable I could see dropping cable for Hulu only, but it's not to that point.

That may improve, though, if they manage to get an influx of cash from subscriptions, though.

Ric_NYC
April 23rd, 2010, 07:49 PM
Is Fancast as good as Hulu?

WakkiTabakki
May 10th, 2010, 12:25 PM

I suppose Spotify and Voddler are Europe's revenge for those, I use Spotify all the time (Haven't got a Voddler invite).

Forget Voddler. Doesn't work under Linux. Try Headweb (http://www.headweb.com/:hairlessrat) instead. Its uses Flash in a browser. But in spite of Flash, it does work really well... they also have a native linux client, but it doesn't add anything to the browser-version.
Don't know if headweb is available outside of Scandinavia, though...

/N

jimbob
May 10th, 2010, 10:11 PM
Just tried Headweb. Had to install Moonlight 2.2 (Silverlight for Linux).
Works really well.

WakkiTabakki
May 23rd, 2010, 05:13 PM
Just tried Headweb. Had to install Moonlight 2.2 (Silverlight for Linux).
Works really well.

Did you get the movies that requires Silverlight to work with Moonlight?
I've installed moonlight, but it still just gives me the "silverlight needed" message...
Check for instance 'Enemy of the earth'

/N

Frogs Hair
May 23rd, 2010, 06:40 PM
I don't use a computer to watch TV.

jimbob
May 23rd, 2010, 06:44 PM
Searching for Enemy of the earth on Headweb yields the following:

Search on "Enemy of the earth" gave 1,481 hits. Showing 1-10:

Can you send a link or something?

schauerlich
May 23rd, 2010, 06:46 PM
Most shows only have the last 5 available anyways. It won't change much for me.

Besides, there's always torrents/surfthechannel.com

gnomeuser
May 23rd, 2010, 06:52 PM
Depending on the terms and the pool of shows available I wouldn't mind paying 10$ a month for all I can watch access.

I would worry that it is subject to region restrictions, that it will only carry a subset of shows and that if I have to cancel my subscription then the shows I watch also disappear.

For now I think I am stuck with torrenting shows as the come out and buying them on DVD when those are issued. That way I pay for the content I use, and I get to keep it regardless of what might happen otherwise.

pwnst*r
May 23rd, 2010, 07:32 PM

Yet you cared enough to post.

On topic: I think it's a non-issue really. Bandwidth and license fees aren't free.

GarmaZed
May 23rd, 2010, 08:22 PM
I am seriously considering the $10 fee for Hulu, granted I'm not sold until I see what shows are offered and how much of it they are offering of a series. I barely watch TV these days but on the TV, and mostly through Hulu and Netflix. The idea of still watching ads even though I'd be a paying customer is a bit baffling, but I could live through it.

I've given up on torrenting due to all the pressure of the legal proceedings by MPAA/RIAA. It's just feeling more and more unsafe for me to do it. Torrents are now for freely distributable, non-restricted material... and I'm actually glad Mininova made the swich to that.

WakkiTabakki
May 24th, 2010, 07:20 AM
Searching for Enemy of the earth on Headweb yields the following:

Search on "Enemy of the earth" gave 1,481 hits. Showing 1-10:

Can you send a link or something?

Here's the link:
http://www.headweb.com/en/204585/enemy-of-the-earth

/N

Dragonbite
May 24th, 2010, 02:16 PM
What do you think is going to be the impact of Google TV?

wojox
May 24th, 2010, 02:19 PM
As soon as Hulu invokes this, somebody else will come along offering free services.

samalex
May 24th, 2010, 02:57 PM
As soon as Hulu invokes this, somebody else will come along offering free services.

I agree. Hulu made it big because they gave away content that you had to pay for from most other providers. As soon as they start charging for content someone else will come along with another website or service to give away the same content and they'll be the 'next big thing' until they decide to cash in on it, and the cycle will continue.

I'm anxious to see what GoogleTV does because we're at that point of not getting cable started back up (recently moved and don't have cable or broadband yet). Most of what we want to see is available online, so it almost feels like the industry would be double-dipping for us to pay for both cable tv and broadband.

Sam

forrestcupp
May 24th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Netflix offers streaming for everything Hulu has, and much, much more for that same price. Netflix also has better HD, and Hulu only does 480p. Why would I pay for Hulu? I will still use it for the free stuff, though.

tuxtorch
May 24th, 2010, 03:08 PM

I'm not either.

wojox
May 24th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Nevermind

wojox
May 24th, 2010, 03:10 PM
I'm not either.

I thought you guys could tunnel in now?

samalex
May 24th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Netflix offers streaming for everything Hulu has, and much, much more for that same price. Netflix also has better HD, and Hulu only does 480p. Why would I pay for Hulu? I will still use it for the free stuff, though.

For current TV Shows streaming Netflix is pretty lacking. It doesn't have any of the shows until after the seasons are over and come out on DVD. Hulu normally will have most shows 24-48 hours after they air, which is what I like.

Sam

LowSky
May 24th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Meh, the last five episodes is good enough for me. If it becomes as advertisement laden as tv, I'll be done with it though.

Why? Hulu lets you watch a show on your schedule not the schedule of the network. I can't stand when people complain about commercials. Do you want to spend $30-50 on a DVD box set of a season or watch it for free at your convenience?

pwnst*r
May 24th, 2010, 03:26 PM
I can't stand when people complain about commercials. Do you want to spend $30-50 on a DVD box set of a season or watch it for free at your convenience?

Or stream/get the DVD/BR of the season from Netflix.

Dragonbite
May 24th, 2010, 04:19 PM
For current TV Shows streaming Hulu is pretty lacking. It doesn't have any of the shows until after the seasons are over and come out on DVD. Hulu normally will have most shows 24-48 hours after they air, which is what I like.

Sam

Huh?

So which one comes out 24-48 hours and which doesn't have shows until after the seasons are over and come out on DVD?

mamamia88
May 24th, 2010, 04:21 PM
I don't use hulu anymore due to poor flash performance anyway. maybe if they shifted to html 5 or silverlight and linux got a version of silverlight i would go for it. other sites that use move or silverlight are much better

samalex
May 24th, 2010, 05:14 PM
Huh?

So which one comes out 24-48 hours and which doesn't have shows until after the seasons are over and come out on DVD?

Yeah I mistyped :confused: Brain was going faster than my fingers I guess.

For current TV Shows streaming Netflix is pretty lacking. It doesn't have any of the shows until after the seasons are over and come out on DVD. Hulu normally will have most shows 24-48 hours after they air, which is what I like.

I'll fix my original post.

Sam

gnomeuser
May 24th, 2010, 05:14 PM
I thought you guys could tunnel in now?

I am pretty sure like registering for Spotify via a proxy in a supported country this would be a violation of the terms of use.

So, not recommended.

Grenage
May 24th, 2010, 05:21 PM
I don't mind pay-for content, I subscribed to Cruncyroll for anime, but unfortunately the playback was never that smooth. Flash based stuff, iirc.

forrestcupp
May 24th, 2010, 05:59 PM

Sam

True, but those are the things that are free in Hulu. You pay the subscription to get anything older than the last 5. So why not just pay for netflix and use the free parts of Hulu?

If I'm keeping up with a show, I'm not going to get more than 5 episodes behind.

Cathhsmom
May 24th, 2010, 06:14 PM
I would use Netflix, but it does not work with Linux. Hulu works with Linux.