PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] MPD & Ubuntu-Server

arrrghhh
April 23rd, 2010, 04:31 PM
I posted this over in the server section, without much luck. Essentially I run MPD on my server, so no pulse. Previously I was using pulse to play music with MPD, but it was a pain to get pulse to run sessionless - I don't want to have a user logged into my server to have functional audio/music :D

So I'm trying to stick with alsa this time (unless someone has a good suggestion for my pulse-as-a-service issue) and every time I try to play a song in MPD it crashes. It is a fresh server install, so I thought at first codecs. I didn't install ubuntu-restricted-extras, I just want audio-related codecs. So I believe I have all of those installed correctly, still MPD crashes.

So I turned to alsa. Had to install alsa-utils to get alsamixer to work. The volume was all turned down, and MPD was showing volume as N/A until I cranked it up in alsamixer. Now MPD shows 100% for volume, progress! But it still crashes as soon as I try to play a song.

It found/updated my entire library without any fuss really, and I can play songs with mplayer (needed for PS3MediaServer...) - so I know I at least have some codecs right... perhaps not the correct ones for MPD?

So any advice would be much appreciated. I love MPD, simply the best CLI music player there is. I can control it from any PC anywhere in the world, and MusicPlayerMinion for Firefox is better than most full-featured music clients IMHO!! I miss my MPD!!

arrrghhh
April 23rd, 2010, 09:51 PM
Anybody use MPD? I should try it on a -desktop liveCD to see if there's a difference... I really like the stripped server install, I don't need much, but I think the problem is I don't know what MPD needs to play...

arrrghhh
April 23rd, 2010, 10:19 PM
Found a segfault...

[161048.253573] mpd[22957] general protection ip:b6efc1b5 sp:b53e1850 error:0 in libavcodec.so.52.20.1[b6ab4000+52b000]

Looks codec related :P Just not sure what codec, I'm pretty sure I have all the right codecs installed.

MPD spit this out:

decoder: audio_format=44100:16:2, seekable=true
Segmentation fault

Any help?

Update - see this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1460338) for solution. Or a one-sided conversation.