PDA

View Full Version : Great article by Wil Wheaton

samalex
April 23rd, 2010, 04:06 PM
Being a huge Trekkie and also a fan of Big Bang Theory, I saw this article by Wil Wheaton where he had problems getting his scanner to work under OSX Snow Leopard. Not until he booted into Linux was he able to scan in some pics, including one from the set of Big Bang Theory, which he's been on a couple of episodes thus far:

http://wilwheaton.typepad.com/wwdnbackup/2010/04/wil-wheaton-prime-uses-linux-to-bring-you-evil-wil-wheaton-sitting-in-sheldons-spot.html

Similarly we have an HP PSC printer that's about 6 years old, and it works great. My wife's laptop was upgraded through her work to Leopard then to Snow Leopard and neither one would pick-up the scanner, though she could print, and HP didn't support the printer any longer. My laptop at the time was still running OSX 10.4 Tiger which did work so I just did all my scanning from it until I also upgraded to Leopard which left our scanner useless... until I moved back to Linux :)

Last year I retired my iBook and bought a System76 laptop and the first week I had it I plugged in the HP PSC printer and both the printer and scanner were picked-up and worked in seconds. NICE!

Take care --

Sam

Paqman
April 23rd, 2010, 04:18 PM
Interesting, I didn't realise the printer situation on OS X was as ropey as it is on Linux.

renzokuken
April 23rd, 2010, 04:39 PM
i believe its pronounced Hwill Hweaten......>_<

hes posted some articles on linux before......

madjr
April 23rd, 2010, 09:04 PM
Interesting, I didn't realise the printer situation on OS X was as ropey as it is on Linux.

actually is worse

but dont worry an iPrinter is in the works =P

standingwave
April 23rd, 2010, 09:15 PM
Printers are from hell: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/printers

samalex
April 23rd, 2010, 09:43 PM
I've seen lots of problems with using older scanners and some older printers on OSX, but there are some open source solutions though none are simple to implement.

As for Wheaton, yeah he's written lots of stuff on Linux over the years and was even a usual on The Screensavers with Leo Laporte when TechTV was still around. He's definitely a user of geek software, but I don't know how much of a geek he really is.

Sam

wojox
April 23rd, 2010, 09:49 PM
And remember Wil Wheaton says, "Don't be a ****!"

cariboo
April 23rd, 2010, 11:27 PM
He used to be a regular poster on slashdot, I don't check in there very often any more, so I haven't seen anything by him in a while.

bigsmitty64
April 24th, 2010, 12:05 AM
i believe its pronounced Hwill Hweaten......>_<You are correct sir! hahaha!! VICTORY IS MINE!!!!!!