PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft profit jumps on strong sales of Windows 7

Sporkman
April 23rd, 2010, 03:07 PM
REDMOND, Wash. (AP) — Microsoft said Thursday that its net income in the most recent quarter rose 35%, helped by strong sales of Windows 7.

Microsoft (MSFT) is the latest company to benefit from what seems to be a rebound in business spending on technology after the economic downturn. It makes most of its money selling the Windows computer operating system, Office programs and other business software. The company said Windows 7, its newest version, now runs on 10% of PCs...

http://www.usatoday.com/money/companies/earnings/2010-04-22-microsoft_N.htm?csp=34&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+UsatodaycomMoney-TopStories+(Money+-+Top+Stories)&utm_content=My+Yahoo

asddf
April 23rd, 2010, 03:13 PM
All those people paying to upgrade a taskbar..........wow

Roasted
April 23rd, 2010, 03:16 PM

A fat taskbar at that.

I. don't. like. it.

Doctor Mike
April 23rd, 2010, 03:17 PM
No this taskbar works..:)

asddf
April 23rd, 2010, 03:18 PM
9 years of Microsoft development, just for that task bar, unbelievable.

Roasted
April 23rd, 2010, 03:19 PM

bUt it;'z was my id3a!!1 Dunt knn0ck it.

RiceMonster
April 23rd, 2010, 03:24 PM

Yeah, ONLY the taskbar has been improved in the last 9 years. Nothing else.

A fat taskbar at that.

I. don't. like. it.

right click > properties > use small icons. No fat task bar.

sydbat
April 23rd, 2010, 03:28 PM
Sheeple will be sheeple...

asddf
April 23rd, 2010, 03:30 PM
Yeah, ONLY the taskbar has been improved in the last 9 years. Nothing else.

What else has been?

What can Windows 7 do, that 9 year old XP can't?

ashjoe
April 23rd, 2010, 03:31 PM
this is an amazing task bar...

whiskeylover
April 23rd, 2010, 03:39 PM
What else has been?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=windows+7+vs+xp

Marlonsm
April 23rd, 2010, 03:41 PM
Windows 7 didn't upgrade only the taskbar, it's a much more polished overall.

Many Linux users should stop bashing MS, making their products look bad. We should, instead, make Linux become better.

Right now I'm using Windows 7, not because it's better than Linux (as an OS, it's not, IMO) but because of the applications I can run on it. I do have Ubuntu installed in a VM, tho, for those times Linux fits better to what I'm doing.

One of the reasons some people are scared of trying Ubuntu (or any Linux distro) is all this MS-hate some of us have. MS is a company, that makes (good) products and there is nothing wrong with it making money. But there is also nothing wrong with us trying to do something better.
The day the applications I need are available on Linux, I'll gladly make it my main OS again.

Ubuntu is an open OS, so we should have our minds open. I've just seen a thread with lots of posts saying that Mono is bad just because it's related to MS. Mono might be bad for other reasons, but relating it to MS is not one of those reasons.

If we ever want to see Ubuntu getting bigger than Windows, we should first be open to accept that they are better than us in some things.

Sorry if I went too off topic, but after seeing this, I had to post it here.

BrokenKingpin
April 23rd, 2010, 05:22 PM
The day the applications I need are available on Linux, I'll gladly make it my main OS again.

Out of curiosity, what applications are you talking about?

swoll1980
April 23rd, 2010, 06:29 PM
One of the reasons some people are scared of trying Ubuntu (or any Linux distro) is all this MS-hate some of us have.

We have a name for those people, they're called imaginary. "I'm not going to drive a Chevy, because alot of those Chevy drivers hate Dodge". This sounds incredibly stupid, and I can't imagine any human being in their right mind making decisions like this. If these people really do exist, I have nothing but sympathy for them, because their lives must be out of control.

Add: I'm not going to shop at K-mart, because some of those K-mart shopper hate Wal-mart. vice versa

I'm not going to buy a PS3, because some of those PS3 users hate Xbox.vice versa

I'm not going to use Microsoft, because some of those Microsoft users hate Linux. vice versa

I'm not going to eat Dunken Heins cake, because some of those Dunken Heins eaters hate Betty Crocker. vice versa

What would you be able to use with out this applying?

opethfan89
April 23rd, 2010, 06:44 PM
I think a quote from the movie "Notorious" applies VERY well in the "I hate M$" argument:

"We can't change the world unless we change ourselves"

Marlonsm
April 23rd, 2010, 10:31 PM
Out of curiosity, what applications are you talking about?

I'm a engineering student, so I need things like CAD, MS Office (including OneNote), MS Math, and more specific programs, like XFoil. And also some games.
I'm seriously considering a dual boot set up here, but for now, there aren't enough reasons for it.

We have a name for those people, they're called imaginary. "I'm not going to drive a Chevy, because alot of those Chevy drivers hate Dodge". This sounds incredibly stupid, and I can't imagine any human being in their right mind making decisions like this. If these people really do exist, I have nothing but sympathy for them, because their lives must be out of control.

Add: I'm not going to shop at K-mart, because some of those K-mart shopper hate Wal-mart. vice versa

I'm not going to buy a PS3, because some of those PS3 users hate Xbox.vice versa

I'm not going to use Microsoft, because some of those Microsoft users hate Linux. vice versa

I'm not going to eat Dunken Heins cake, because some of those Dunken Heins eaters hate Betty Crocker. vice versa

What would you be able to use with out this applying?

I think I didn't make myself clear enough. I meant that if we keep trying to be free-software purists, avoiding everything else, companies will not want to make products for Linux (read Adobe CS, MS Office and games) and we will have to rely on the community for drivers (some community drivers are great, but some just don't exist/work). And things like that make people stay where everything works.

murderslastcrow
April 23rd, 2010, 10:44 PM
Application availability and a lack of knowledge of alternatives. People just can't run all their prior programs on Linux (even with Wine, it's not 100 percent, just like, 80 percent or something).

Even Windows users know that Windows has problems that have been neglected forever. But, if you Windows XP doesn't really suit you and you NEED Windows for whatever reason, Windows 7 is a good enough operating system. It has so many problems, and it's a pain to use in comparison to Ubuntu or OSX, but it's still got the stuff some businesses need.

However, you can get the taskbar and some effects in Windows XP, anyway. I would suggest staying on XP as long as you possibly can, get a transformation pack, and upgrade when Windows 7 is cheaper. Is this not sound logic? You don't need Windows 7, even if you have a program that won't run in Wine or with reasonable speed in VirtualBox.

However, we see that the majority of the programs that don't run well enough in Wine or VirtualBox are videogames. As Steam migrates to other platforms, this may be much less of an issue.

I really think it all comes down to the fact that Ubuntu isn't in the public space. Android is and it runs 24 percent of all cell phones in use today. So Linux has majority marketshare everywhere except for where it has no advertising- the desktop.

People just feel like they have to pay a fortune for a Mac that can't play their games, or upgrade to Windows 7. They don't see any other options, so they don't take them. They aren't sheeple, they're just unlucky, and it's our responsibility to invite people to see what Linux is like, and to use cross-platform OSS programs. If people are on Windows but use primarily open source applications, I still think that's a very good thing.

swoll1980
April 23rd, 2010, 10:54 PM
I think I didn't make myself clear enough. I meant that if we keep trying to be free-software purists, avoiding everything else, companies will not want to make products for Linux (read Adobe CS, MS Office and games) and we will have to rely on the community for drivers (some community drivers are great, but some just don't exist/work). And things like that make people stay where everything works.

Who the hell's a free software purist? I can honestly say I've never met one. Once in a great while you will see them floating around the forums, but they make up a very very tiny minority of the Linux user base. I don't think they are keeping anyone from doing anything.

bruno9779
April 23rd, 2010, 10:57 PM
I think that the title should read:

Microsoft profit jumps AFTER DISCONTINUING SUPPORT FOR WIN XP.

I they are selling 7 to more than the usual funboys it is mostly because they force people to upgrade

bruno9779
April 23rd, 2010, 10:59 PM
... And things like that make people stay where everything works.

Everything works, IN WINDOWS????? really?

Crunchy the Headcrab
April 23rd, 2010, 11:03 PM
Having used both Windows 7 and Vista pretty extensively, I can say that from my experience 7 is a superior OS in more ways than one.

1- It performs better (processes take less time).
2- The update center actually works (never had a failed update on 7 and the updates don't take forever to install like some (most) Vista updates. Many hardware drivers install automatically. This might change over time, but for now it's ++
3- It looks better.
4- Some apps packaged with Windows have seen great improvements. Media Player comes to mind.

Still it is basically a fixed up version of Vista and I feel a little miffed that I bought a laptop with Vista only about 8 months before Windows 7 came out.

swoll1980
April 23rd, 2010, 11:04 PM
Everything works, IN WINDOWS????? really?

My old 3Com network adapter won't work in Win7 64bit, but it works fine in Linux. Before anyone says that's because it's old, and they're not going to make drivers for old hardware, I would like to say no crap, but that's my point. Driver support has nothing to do with individual OSs, but with the manufactures themselves.

WannabeFantasma
April 23rd, 2010, 11:04 PM
Crazy how many people with Vista wanted Win 7.
"OMG I HAVE SO MANY PROBLEMS"
"VISTA SUCKS"
ETC

And I love Vista, I don't really have nasty problems with it so for me, it works!

I still could get Win7 for free, but can't be bothered...

spoons
April 23rd, 2010, 11:06 PM
I like how people in this forum put down strong Windows 7 sales to "sheeple" and can't believe that quite a lot of people just MIGHT, PERHAPS, like the OS. Oh god no. That can't be happening! People choosing DIFFERENT THINGS?!? How absurd! IT'S QUITE CLEARLY AN MS CONSPIRACY! TIN FOIL HATS AT THE READY!

Crunchy the Headcrab
April 23rd, 2010, 11:07 PM
Crazy how many people with Vista wanted Win 7.
"OMG I HAVE SO MANY PROBLEMS"
"VISTA SUCKS"
ETC

And I love Vista, I don't really have nasty problems with it so for me, it works!

I still could get Win7 for free, but can't be bothered...
As I said in my post above there was a noticeable performance increase on my machines for certain things. I never had any problems with Vista either. I like Vista a lot. Still 7 IS better.

swoll1980
April 23rd, 2010, 11:49 PM
I like how people in this forum put down strong Windows 7 sales to "sheeple" and can't believe that quite a lot of people just MIGHT, PERHAPS, like the OS. Oh god no. That can't be happening! People choosing DIFFERENT THINGS?!? How absurd! IT'S QUITE CLEARLY AN MS CONSPIRACY! TIN FOIL HATS AT THE READY!

If all the games, apps, and drivers in Windows were available in Linux, would you still pay $100 for it?

Crunchy the Headcrab
April 24th, 2010, 08:31 AM
If all the games, apps, and drivers in Windows were available in Linux, would you still pay $100 for it?
Irrelevant.

cespinal
April 24th, 2010, 08:39 AM
What else has been?

please someone answer to this

SSTwinrova
April 24th, 2010, 09:25 AM
please someone answer to this

I'll list a few of my favorites plus some out of this list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Features_new_to_Windows_7 (and technically that page is just relative to Vista, not XP)

Libraries - Absolutely awesome if you have files split between multiple computers, on a server, etc. One location, all your files.
Aero Peek/Snap/Shake - Some people may just see them as useless like Compiz wobbly windows, but they can provide a huge productivity boost by reducing unneeded clicks.
Volume Mixer - Mute individual programs, direct applications to use specific outputs (e.g. speakers for game audio, headset for Ventrilo chat)
BitLocker - Drive encryption both for hard drives and removable media
Start Menu Search - Search start menu programs, control panel items, and files by pressing Windows key and typing

Will everyone find all of these features useful? Of course not. Windows 7 brings a whole lot more to the table than just a new taskbar though.

elliotn
April 24th, 2010, 11:44 AM
we need to be realistic, MS its a company and it has to make money somehow, they dont force u to buy windows os u want to upgrade coz u've seen something u like. Be stuck to xp if u like... They wont sue you.

kilosan
April 24th, 2010, 12:06 PM
leave ms alone, its a dying breed.
im still waiting for a google chrome os notebook.
that is where the trend is going.

many people will buy it just to use facebook.

jrothwell97
April 24th, 2010, 01:52 PM
What else has been?

What, apart from a proper privileges system and the deprecation of the vast majority of the antiquated technology rattling around in XP and (to a lesser extent) Vista?

Loads of stuff on the surface, too.