PDA

View Full Version : Apple now ahead of MS

whiskeylover
April 23rd, 2010, 02:33 PM
Just heard on CNN and thought I'd let you guys know. Apple now more valuable than MS and is now the second most valuable company in the US, just after Exxon.

... googling for links.

whiskeylover
April 23rd, 2010, 02:35 PM
http://www.appleinsider.com/blogs/general/10/04/22/apples_242_billion_market_cap_surpasses_microsoft. html

There you go.

Excedio
April 23rd, 2010, 02:42 PM
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/apple-passes-microsoft-for-second-place-in-sp-500-2010-04-22?dist=afterbell

That's what happens when you have cooler products.

madnessjack
April 23rd, 2010, 02:45 PM
The numbers could change quickly, though, with Microsoft announcing its earnings Thursday afternoon. Apple's stock increased $7.25, or 2.8 percent, in trading on Thursday to propel it past Microsoft. AAPL is also significantly up from its 52-week low of $119.38.
May just be a blip, but does this confirm that Apple is now officially more evil than Microsoft :P

Excedio
April 23rd, 2010, 02:46 PM
May just be a blip, but does this confirm that Apple is now officially more evil than Microsoft :P

I'm pretty sure they have been equally evil since the 1st gen iPhone. :-)

madjr
April 23rd, 2010, 02:49 PM
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/apple-passes-microsoft-for-second-place-in-sp-500-2010-04-22?dist=afterbell

an a cult

asddf
April 23rd, 2010, 02:52 PM
come on Linux fight the power!

blueshiftoverwatch
April 23rd, 2010, 03:11 PM
Microsoft owns 25% of Apple's stock.

whiskeylover
April 23rd, 2010, 03:25 PM

And the fact that MS gives out dividends to its shareholders has nothing to do with it.

Doctor Mike
April 23rd, 2010, 03:27 PM
Microsoft owns 25% of Apple's stock.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm MicroApple.....:)

madnessjack
April 23rd, 2010, 03:33 PM
I actually shuddered a little then :D

P4man
April 23rd, 2010, 03:39 PM
From your own link:

Apple's total was larger than Microsoft's index market value of $239.5 billion on the Standard & Poor's. However, in terms of total actual market cap, Apple remains well below Microsoft, with a difference of more than $30 billion. Previously, a number of outlets, including MarketWatch, had incorrectly reported that Apple's total market cap had surpassed Microsoft.

Still, gotta admit im rather surprised apple has become that big. Polarizing as he may be, Jobs clearly did some things right. Good for apple shareholders I guess :)

zekopeko
April 23rd, 2010, 03:41 PM
You know what is scary? That Apple has less then 10% market share.

whiskeylover
April 23rd, 2010, 03:43 PM

So it means it's 10 times more evil :-o

Grenage
April 23rd, 2010, 03:47 PM

Yup; it's quite shocking. Apple have done well over last 10 years.

Viva
April 23rd, 2010, 03:52 PM
I think I prefer microsoft to apple.

MCVenom
April 23rd, 2010, 03:55 PM
This :lolflag:

Khakilang
April 23rd, 2010, 05:35 PM
I think Apple has just been promoted by Satan.

andras artois
April 23rd, 2010, 05:36 PM
Apple are directly responsible for someone killing themselves. Apple are not good.

d_skillz
April 23rd, 2010, 05:46 PM
Ironic though Microsoft currently holds stock in Apple, I wander how much Apple has in Microsoft?...

dragos240
April 23rd, 2010, 05:49 PM

AppleSoft

Kinda sounds like applesauce.

P4man
April 23rd, 2010, 05:51 PM
Ironic though Microsoft currently holds stock in Apple, I wander how much Apple has in Microsoft?...

Where do you guys get that from? I dont see MS on this list:
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/mh?s=AAPL+Major+Holders

phrostbyte
April 23rd, 2010, 06:04 PM
Where do you guys get that from? I dont see MS on this list:
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/mh?s=AAPL+Major+Holders

10-15 years ago Microsoft owned a small amount of AAPL stock. They sold it shortly thereafter. Microsoft doesn't own any shares of Apple anymore.

undecim
April 23rd, 2010, 06:34 PM

Of what market share? Operating systems?

Apple also is in the smartphone, music sales, and audio hardware markets.

Microsoft does some of that too, but it's different markets that all effect the companies.

Groucho Marxist
April 23rd, 2010, 06:45 PM
AppleSoft

FireBad.

Crunchy the Headcrab
April 23rd, 2010, 07:00 PM
I think I prefer microsoft to apple.
I do.

Giant Speck
April 23rd, 2010, 07:02 PM
Apple is ahead of Multiple Sclerosis? :p

MCVenom
April 23rd, 2010, 07:36 PM
Apple is ahead of Multiple Sclerosis? :p
In terms of how evil they are, Apple is far ahead :lolflag:

sudoer541
April 23rd, 2010, 11:25 PM

Or AppleSoft!!!:):):)

sudoer541
April 23rd, 2010, 11:26 PM
AppleSoft

Kinda sounds like applesauce.

AAAAWWWWWWWWW!!! we said the same thing!!! LOL!!!:popcorn::):lolflag:

Frak
April 23rd, 2010, 11:30 PM
That's what happens when 90% of your profits come from iPods. I doubt any of it can be contributed to Macintosh computers.

Ric_NYC
April 23rd, 2010, 11:34 PM
http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/4189/46285372.gif

MaxIBoy
April 24th, 2010, 12:41 AM
What really worries me is their recent efforts to buy out ARM. If they did that, they could easily pull the plug on Android, ARM-based Linux netbooks, etc. If they owned ARM, then Android et. al. would become a significant source of income for Apple. But I wouldn't put it past Steve Jobs to forgo that income anyway just for spite. Apple could probably just absorb the losses, even after spending 1/8 of their reserves to buy ARM.

This, more than anything else, shows us that while Apple's contributions to Open Source are huge, in the end they need to be regarded as a threat. And the fact that they've become bigger than Microsoft should really drive home the point. When it comes right down to which Steve is more fascist and ruthless, Steve Jobs easily trounces Steve "Linux is a Cancer" Ballmer (which is saying a lot.) And he's got a huge amount of capital at his disposal.

EDIT: Correction, the ARM buyout was just a rumor, and ARM's CEO thinks it won't happen. (http://hothardware.com/News/Apple-Could-Buy-ARM-But-Its-Not-Going-To/) Apologies for being paranoid.

cariboo
April 24th, 2010, 01:04 AM
Now that Apple is evil, do we have to remove cups?

MaxIBoy
April 24th, 2010, 01:22 AM
Now that Apple is evil, do we have to remove cups?I knew someone would say something along these lines.

CUPS is fine because the source code is out there in the open, and we can always fork it if they start acting fishy with it. Clang is fine for the same reason. The GPL was designed to prevent even the copyright owner from acting in bad faith, and permissive licenses like the CUPS license would be even more difficult to subvert.

The universe isn't black and white, evil and not evil. That does mean we don't have to ditch CUPS just because Apple owns it. But it also means that we don't have to trust Apple just because it owns CUPS.

toupeiro
April 24th, 2010, 02:00 AM
Float-market cap != full market basis. A little too soon to be saying Apple is "Ahead" of MS. There is a $30 billion full market difference between these two companies. Float market caps take market cap weighting a few steps further by only counting shares that are available for purchase on open markets rather than simply the total shares outstanding. Rome has not fallen, Hell has not froze over, Pigs are not flying .. etc etc...

MasterNetra
April 24th, 2010, 03:44 AM
I knew someone would say something along these lines.

CUPS is fine because the source code is out there in the open, and we can always fork it if they start acting fishy with it. Clang is fine for the same reason. The GPL was designed to prevent even the copyright owner from acting in bad faith, and permissive licenses like the CUPS license would be even more difficult to subvert.

The universe isn't black and white, evil and not evil. That does mean we don't have to ditch CUPS just because Apple owns it. But it also means that we don't have to trust Apple just because it owns CUPS.

Of course not, in fact apple shouldn't be trusted at all. Instead we should put all of our trust into Microsoft. After all their is no way they can betray us, they have our best interests at heart...yea thats it. :P :lolflag:

witeshark17
April 24th, 2010, 04:32 AM
Hahaha, I think we can keep cups. And IMO, Apple was always a tad better than m$ :guitar:

Frak
April 24th, 2010, 05:28 AM
m$

Who dat?

Doctor Mike
April 26th, 2010, 01:54 PM
AppleSoft

Kinda sounds like applesauce.Microapple / Applesoft... it all turns to vinegar...:)

Khakilang
April 26th, 2010, 02:27 PM
One devil try to outdo another devil. How interesting.

whiskeylover
April 26th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Hahaha, I think we can keep cups. And IMO, Apple was always a tad better than m$ :guitar:
And IMO, Apple suxorz.

cprofitt
April 26th, 2010, 03:07 PM

The market share of OS...

Then again Microsoft does not sell computers. (I believe Apple is #4 in that department). Apple has 7x% of the mp3 player market. Then you have the smart phone market -- I think Apple owns roughly 45-55% of that with Android having ~ 20%.

What does surprise me is that Apple is supposedly bigger than HP.

KiwiNZ
April 26th, 2010, 09:04 PM
I have been in this industry a long time .

Once upon a time it was Bill Gates and Microsoft crusading against the big guys (IBM etc )
Then it was Apple the the Knight in Armour and Bill was the evil one.

The Bill and And Steve are the Evil ones and Google are the Crusaders Brin and Page on their Steeds.

Soon they will be the evil ones and Google the evil empire.

Tall poppies oh how we love to hate them and envy them. Yet with out them we are nothing.

MichealH
April 26th, 2010, 09:52 PM
Cool. I now feel like this Windows 7 I have is cool and everything about Microsoft is WIN ;)

CoffeeCoder
April 26th, 2010, 10:10 PM
It doesn't really surprise me that Apple is ahead of Microsoft.

I mean, let's face it, Vista was pretty crappy. A couple of years later MS managed to fix it and release it as Windows 7 (which I dual-boot alongside of Ubuntu), but during the time of Vista, people started buying more Macs or turning to GNU/Linux and abandoning Windows altogether. I don't blame them; anytime I used Vista I always wanted to pull my hair out or shoot myself in the foot. How Microsoft thought it was ready for release, I will never understand...

I'm surprised at how many people here are bashing on Apple. Its OS is built off of a Unix frame, just like Ubuntu. And since all of us here are Ubuntu fans, doesn't that mean we're essentially bashing on Ubuntu's frame as well? :P

Someday I want to get a MacBook Pro and dual boot OS X with Ubuntu. I think that would be the best computer ever! :guitar:

the.scarecrow
April 26th, 2010, 10:14 PM
So, when it comes to marketing, selling lifestyle products wins over everything. In most consumers minds image is #1. Performance and value follow up someway behind.

Linux users excepted I suppose, but they only represent a small percentage of the population.

arnab_das
April 26th, 2010, 10:20 PM
apple's success story isnt the imac (it is but only to a small extent), the real deals are the ipods and iphones. its because of these devices that apple is now 'ahead' of MS. not purely because of OS values.

KiwiNZ
April 26th, 2010, 10:24 PM
apple's success story isnt the imac (it is but only to a small extent), the real deals are the ipods and iphones. its because of these devices that apple is now 'ahead' of MS. not purely because of OS values.

iMac sales are up 33% , that is fairly good growth

arnab_das
April 26th, 2010, 10:31 PM
iMac sales are up 33% , that is fairly good growth

would love to see profit margins of windows 7 and osx snow leopard though. that would be the best comparison.

CptPicard
April 26th, 2010, 10:35 PM
Just shows it's way overvalued :p reminds me of the dotcom boom...

KiwiNZ
April 26th, 2010, 11:30 PM
would love to see profit margins of windows 7 and osx snow leopard though. that would be the best comparison.

To me the more important figure is

AAPL stock value as of this am is $us269.5 = $NZ373.03.

This compares to MSFT $us31.11 = $NZ43.06

Even my IBM at $us130.73 = $NZ180.95 are doing better than MS. So between the holding in AAPL and IBM the gain those two exceeds MS nicely.

arnab_das
April 26th, 2010, 11:37 PM
To me the more important figure is

AAPL stock value as of this am is $us269.5 = $NZ373.03.

This compares to MSFT $us31.11 = $NZ43.06

Even my IBM at $us130.73 = $NZ180.95 are doing better than MS. So between the holding in AAPL and IBM the gain those two exceeds MS nicely.

wow! thats a revelation!