PDA

View Full Version : Kubuntu bootsplash

iRiUX
April 23rd, 2010, 10:13 AM
Not sure about the Ubuntu bootsplash, but the Kubuntu one didn't work until yesterday... I haven't updated today to see if it does work now.

Are they purposely waiting or its something they're having difficulty with? Its really close to final release date.

NightwishFan
April 23rd, 2010, 11:39 AM
It works here, perhaps your problem is with plymouth itself. Do you just not get a boot splash?

iRiUX
April 23rd, 2010, 09:56 PM
I see no boot splash... I first see a blinking underscore "_", then I see some warningings, followed by a blue bar at bottom left corner, and it jumps to KDE splash screen... thats it...

NightwishFan
April 24th, 2010, 06:37 AM
Then I think thats just a plymouth problem. When shutting down I see the new Kubuntu logo with all blue.

James78
May 2nd, 2010, 03:28 AM
I have the official Ubuntu(KDE) 10.04 64-bit release, and all I see is a blinking underscore too, then it flashes the splash screen for a second and is at the login.. I want to see the Kubuntu splash! :(

kio_http
May 2nd, 2010, 04:00 AM
Save problem here. I see the Splash on the last second of the booting process. Before that its the blinking underscore. Could you others having this problem state your screen resolution? I get the splash on live cd but not on installed version!:confused:

praveesh
May 2nd, 2010, 06:05 AM
Save problem here. I see the Splash on the last second of the booting process. Before that its the blinking underscore. Could you others having this problem state your screen resolution? I get the splash on live cd but not on installed version!:confused:

Update after a week . The issue with plymouth is a known one , I think .

MirzaD
May 2nd, 2010, 02:32 PM
I allso have this problem, and this is after the final version has been released...
Anyone have more information, solution, or bugreprot ?

James78
May 6th, 2010, 04:50 PM
For people who want to see the splash screen, here is a fix for you guys.

Type into terminal...

sudo echo FRAMEBUFFER=y > /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/splash && sudo update-initramfs -u

If permission is denied, then simply just create the file, then paste the contents into it.

The problem is that the graphics driver doesn't have enough time to initalize before plymouth can take care of displaying the splash screen, then the system decides to go ahead and startx since it's taking too long. What this does, is introduce a ~0,5 second boot delay, which allows the graphics driver to take hold, and lets plymouth show the splash screen. The boot delay really isn't that bad, I don't even really notice it at all.

Enjoy the fix!

kio_http
May 6th, 2010, 05:05 PM
For people who want to see the splash screen, here is a fix for you guys.

Type into terminal...

If permission is denied, then simply just create the file, then paste the contents into it.

The problem is that the graphics driver doesn't have enough time to initalize before plymouth can take care of displaying the splash screen, then the system decides to go ahead and startx since it's taking too long. What this does, is introduce a ~0,5 second boot delay, which allows the graphics driver to take hold, and lets plymouth show the splash screen. The boot delay really isn't that bad, I don't even really notice it at all.

Enjoy the fix!

I believe it is
sudo update-initramfs -u and NOT initramfs -u

NightwishFan
May 6th, 2010, 05:08 PM
If permission is denied run:

sudo su

Then:

echo FRAMEBUFFER=y > /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/splash && sudo update-initramfs -u

Then:

exit

James78
May 6th, 2010, 05:24 PM
I believe it is
sudo update-initramfs -u and NOT initramfs -u
Oops, typo, excuse me. ;)