PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Barebones NNTP/Web/Torrent/FTP download server

GodSin1
April 23rd, 2010, 08:51 AM
So while cleaning out the garage trying to find some parts I had kicking around for a HTPC XBMC linux build I found a ibm netvista 6643-24U all on one system and thought I would attempt a little side project, only problem is when it comes to Linux I only know enough to get me around the gui and not much when it comes around to the command line shell. Another reason I am going to end up going Bald trying to get my HTPC system working lol. I like to tinker with things instead of going the easy way of using windows.

the netvista computer is nothing special, only a PIII 866mhz system with 1gig ram and a 40gig hdd. Yea I understand that this is a "Slow" computer to today's standards but for what its going to do its more then enough I would think.

I'm looking to get it to be my download station from a NNTP servers and Torrents.

a little more of what I would like to do with this server...
- website (must have the ability to require a L/P to even get on the site) to upload torrent / nzb file to and get the server to auto start downloading once the nzb/torrent file has been uploaded

- in the case of nzb files get it to check all files as they download, repair if required, extract to a dlink dns-323 nas drive and then delete the archive once extracted.

- ability to check the status of downloads via the website and get some sort of log that lets me know current speed, amount received, cpu utilization and what not would be nice.

I've tried to "Hack" my dns-323 and get nzbget working on it without much luck and when I found this computer earlier today I thought SWEET a new toy to play with and muck about in lol.

If anyone knows of any tutorials, or is able to suggest anything that would be of help in this little project I would be very thankful.

utnubuuser
April 23rd, 2010, 07:52 PM
Turnkey Linux