PDA

View Full Version : Dapper is Dandy!

Brunellus
March 17th, 2006, 08:07 PM
OK. This is a first for me. I've always been a "wait until it goes stable" kind of guy. But I finally dist-upgraded to dapper this week, and I have been IMPRESSED.

The speed-ups are tremendous. Startup times from a cold, powerdown state was just fabulous. The dapper devs (and the upstream devs) seem to have de-cruftified things a lot. Too soon to tell, but I'm already beginning to think that GNOME is beginning to be a bit more memory-efficient (yay!)--enough to entice me to switch my default wm back to metacity from openbox.

The dist-upgrade is not yet for newbies, though; I had a bit of a time with apt complaining about dependencies (particulary openoffice, whose packagename has changed....). People with no ubuntu experience should still be using breezy, as should "production" machines (like my mom's 'puter, which I have vowed should not go down....ever.).

But holy cow!

mstlyevil
March 17th, 2006, 08:10 PM
It is astounding how stable and fast Dapper is for a alpha release. I love it and could not go back to breezy unless I absolutely had to.

Brunellus
March 17th, 2006, 08:12 PM
It is astounding how stable and fast Dapper is for a alpha release. I love it and could not go back to breezy unless I absolutely had to.
totally OT, I wonder where I could grep the logs for #ubuntuforums, because I'd like to post the moment I actually decided to dist-upgrade on here, because it was humorous.

GeneralZod
March 17th, 2006, 08:18 PM
I bit the bullet at Flight 4, and have had very few issues indeed - you'd hardly know it was a development release. Plus, I had DRI on my old Savage laptop card out-of-the-box! Although it did need a one-line tweak to xorg.conf to get it working with hibernate.

Bravo, (K)Ubuntu devs!

K.Mandla
March 17th, 2006, 08:30 PM
But holy cow!
Same here. I started with a clean install about a week ago and haven't looked back. Dapper is faster and cleaner than Breezy by a long shot, and with few exceptions it's at least as functional. I loved Breezy, but the final version of Dapper is going to be something truly wonderful.

I should mention that it might not be so wonderful for 56Kers -- even after a clean Flight 5 install, my system updater wanted to download 244+ packages to bring everything up to date. It took me about an hour over a cable modem to get that done.

I suppose each system will be different, but it's worth mentioning. Still, it might be worth it. :)

lordofkhemenu
March 17th, 2006, 09:29 PM
I said essentially the same thing in my own post, elsewhere in the forums...yeah, Dapper is the duck's quack, man. I did read the various pro vs con forums posts concerning upgrading from Breezy to Dapper...decided to go for it and I haven't got a single regret. It rocks. Faster, cleaner (just try to remove Evolution and evolution-data-server-whatever-it-is. Look! it only removes Evolution, not gnome-this and gnomelib-that along with it!) :D