PDA

View Full Version : is lucid safe?

mamamia88
April 23rd, 2010, 01:38 AM
lets just say i need to use my laptop harddrive to backup my ps3. it won't recognize the fat 32 partiton because it's not the first partition on the disc. should i just go ahead and install lucid now?

kaldor
April 23rd, 2010, 01:42 AM
Seems safe, but it's still not a finished product. You never know if it's going to work or not.

Just use Karmic or another distro for now if you aren't sure.

mamamia88
April 23rd, 2010, 01:44 AM
thing is i feel like deleting all the partitions on the harddrive and don't want to install karmic just to install lucid next week

Irihapeti
April 23rd, 2010, 03:29 AM
Note that there's no law that says you have to install Lucid next week.

If you want to be sure that it's going to work well, you might like to wait and see what other people's experiences are first. That gives you the opportunity to check if others with your same hardware are having problems, and also for some bug fixes to get done.

Of course, if you are feeling bold....

But make a point of backing up your home folder, in case anything nasty happens.

Actually, make a point of doing that anyway. :)

kaldor
April 23rd, 2010, 04:24 AM
Use Gparted, shrink your current partition, and make a new blank partition with a small OS on it, and use that as your PS3 dump.

standingwave
April 23rd, 2010, 06:19 AM
I've been playing with the beta release but I can wait one more week for the final release before installing on my primary system.

http://i41.tinypic.com/4gsuah.jpg
"Is it safe?"

ScarySquirrel
April 23rd, 2010, 06:24 AM
No. There's a reason it's called "beta".

mcduck
April 23rd, 2010, 06:51 AM
No. There's a reason it's called "beta".

Actually the 10.04 Release Candidate is already available, so it's not a beta any more... ;)

ScarySquirrel
April 24th, 2010, 02:29 AM
Actually the 10.04 Release Candidate is already available, so it's not a beta any more... ;)
Release candidate, alpha, beta, it's all just semantics for the same thing. Kinda.
<.<

Uncle Spellbinder
April 24th, 2010, 02:41 AM
Release candidate, alpha, beta, it's all just semantics for the same thing.
I disagree...As the RC will more than likely be final. In any event, anything past beta 1 is as stable as you'll get (for the most pat) in my experience.

mcduck
April 24th, 2010, 06:57 AM
Release candidate, alpha, beta, it's all just semantics for the same thing. Kinda.
<.<

RC is supposed to be ready for release. If there's no serious bugs in RC it's just renamed to final, so a RC has a good change of being exactly the same as the final version.

I think there's kind of difference between "this is still in development and will break every now and then" and "we think this might be ready for release now".. :)

swoll1980
April 24th, 2010, 07:45 AM
In any event, anything past beta 1 is as stable as you'll get (for the most pat) in my experience.

:shock: