PDA

View Full Version : What are you real reasons for hating Microsoft and Apple??

Macfunky
April 23rd, 2010, 01:05 AM
The usual explanation is that they are proprietary. They are many other reasons beyond this and I agree with some of them myself. So what are you real stones to grind with Microsoft or Apple, whether it be their file systems, registry files, etc. I want to know what it is beyond their ownership that really annoys people and has them hooked on Linux operating systems.

Also along with your answers why not tell us why you prefer a Linux operating system (or other) :D

jaco223
April 23rd, 2010, 01:13 AM
The usual explanation is that they are proprietary. They are many other reasons beyond this and I agree with some of them myself. So what are you real stones to grind with Microsoft or Apple, whether it be their file systems, registry files, etc. I want to know what it is beyond their ownership that really annoys people and has them hooked on Linux operating systems.

Also along with your answers why not tell us why you prefer a Linux operating system (or other) :D

I have no complaints with Apple. Just my personal feeling. I prefer Linux for the learning experience.

Jaco

JDShu
April 23rd, 2010, 01:15 AM
My beef with Macs is that its so hard to find decent screen recording software that's free as in beer.

oldsoundguy
April 23rd, 2010, 01:16 AM
Hate is too strong a word.
MS .. because it has proven over and over again that it is unstable and unreliable. A new version starts out fine and slowly gets that way .. slow.
The time spent keeping protection up to date (not just AV as AV is only a small part of the current crop of malware) and the time spent doing clean up that should be able to be done from within the operating system automatically, but only third party software can do it more thoroughly. And the excessive amount of caution you have to take while on line or opening ANYTHING or the OR ELSE factor pops up!

Right now I am dealing with a friends brand new out of the box laptop running Win 7 that CAN'T FIND A USB PRINTER that is plugged into it! (and the printer is an HP .. not a piece of junk Lexmark!)

Apple.. no opinion other than the initial cost .. granted you get a lot of programs that come with it that you would have to pay for in MS which does help match out the bottom line, but you get VERY LITTLE CHOICE in the matter.
But been a while since I worked with anything Apple.

phrostbyte
April 23rd, 2010, 01:20 AM
A lot of diverse reasons

Disdain for proprietary software
The companies unethical business practices (anti-trust, lockin, etc.)
In Microsoft's case, their attacks on Linux
In Apple's case, their refusal to support popular products on Linux
Bandwagon jumping

Bölvağur
April 23rd, 2010, 01:21 AM
are you saying I hate Microsoft and Apple?

Redache
April 23rd, 2010, 01:21 AM
I don't hate either. Whilst I disagree with both companies ethically I am not opposed to using their products. I have bought a Macbook Pro (currently waiting it's delivery), not because I think Apple are awesome but because I wanted a good Laptop.

Both have good and bad sides. Hating a company is pretty pointless.

JDShu
April 23rd, 2010, 01:24 AM
I've picked up a new reason to hate Microsoft today. Recently bought an MS Office disk, and apparently I'm allowed to install Office a max of 24 times. Tried to install it once and it doesn't seem to work, so I've burned one install. I feel like MacGyver.

loell
April 23rd, 2010, 01:25 AM
this is just a way much recurring topic, and an inevitable flame bait.