PDA

View Full Version : Have any of you met famous people?

kaldor
April 22nd, 2010, 09:44 PM
Not including seeing people live in bands, that's common and happens everywhere.

When I was in Ottawa, I shook hands with Jean Cretien on Canada day back around 2002.

When I was very young, Queen Elizabeth was visiting Newfoundland. My family went to the scene and we were about 20 metres away from her. Not really "meeting", but I saw her in person at a fairly close distance.

Share!

chrisxuk
April 22nd, 2010, 09:45 PM
I went to watch an England match at Old Trafford a few years ago, and Victoria Beckham walked past me. Close enough for me to touch ;)

The Thunder Chimp
April 22nd, 2010, 09:47 PM
In May 2004, after studying Canada's Government, we went to Ottawa. This guy in our class called Anthony, saw Jack Layton running down the stairs of the parliament. Instead of saying "Hi Mr. Layton", he said scram "Hey Jack!". Jack Layton climbed back the stairs shook hands with about ten people, and then ran back down. Epic Anthony.

kaldor
April 22nd, 2010, 09:49 PM
In May 2004, after studying Canada's Government, we went to Ottawa. This guy in our class called Anthony, saw Jack Layton running down the stairs of the parliament. Instead of saying "Hi Mr. Layton", he said scram "Hey Jack!". Jack Layton climbed back the stairs shook hands with about ten people, and then ran back down. Epic Anthony.

Hahaha, Jack :D

the8thstar
April 22nd, 2010, 09:49 PM
I meet a famous person every time I look at myself in the mirror.

jaco223
April 22nd, 2010, 09:50 PM
I've met several, Peter Falk after a play at the DuPont Playhouse, Peter Tosh backstage at the Tower Theatre, Chaka Boom in an elavator in New York, Jimmy The Greek at Little David's Cookies in New York, and I grew up around the corner from Bob Marley, met him on several occasions, I knew his mother very well too.

Jaco

JoeWheeler
April 22nd, 2010, 09:54 PM
I met Gordon Banks once (old england goalie)

Really nice guy

It would have been better if i like football

oldsoundguy
April 22nd, 2010, 09:54 PM
Yes, but that was the nature of my chosen profession.
Rock stars, movie/tv stars, politicians, etc .. all signed my checks and helped feed me and pay my rent.

doas777
April 22nd, 2010, 09:57 PM
I've hung out with Tom Savini (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0767741/) on consecutive years at a local gaming convention.

xaegis
April 22nd, 2010, 10:00 PM
I met Mikhail Baryshnikov in a restaurant. I also met Sara McLaughlin (I was working in a juice bar)and, at a different time, Sandra Bullock (While I was working in a sushi restaurant)while I was living in Austin, Tx.:)

lisati
April 22nd, 2010, 10:03 PM
I've met one or two New Zealand politicians, past and present, including former Prime Minister Helen Clark (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helen_Clark).

NCLI
April 22nd, 2010, 10:04 PM
I've met Kojima Hideo, Sadamoto Yoshiyuki, Yamaga Hiroyuki, Shinkawa Yoji(Shame on you if you don't know these names), and HRH the Queen of Denmark.
:guitar:

Oh, and politicians, lots of politicians.

JoeWheeler
April 22nd, 2010, 10:05 PM
I've met Kojima Hideo, Sadamoto Yoshiyuki, Yamaga Hiroyuki, Shinkawa Yoji(Shame on you if you don't know these names), and HRH the Queen of Denmark.
:guitar:
Denmark has a queen?!?!

kaldor
April 22nd, 2010, 10:11 PM
Denmark has a queen?!?!

A princess, if that's what he meant.

Shpongle
April 22nd, 2010, 10:11 PM
After their shows I met ?uestlove from the hip hop group the roots , also Akil from the hip hop group Jurassic 5 .They were both pretty cool and down to earth. I dont like it when people blow celebrities out of proportion . They're just people like you and me, obviously some of them have talent though.

conradin
April 22nd, 2010, 10:15 PM
I was lost for weeks in the hills near Hungary / Slovenia. No one spoke English where I was. Eventually I found my way to the city of Ljubljana. I saw a poster for the offspring, so i figured I would go to the show, but I was very early still. I wandered over to the hall where it would be held to be certain I could find the place. A guard spotted me and approached. I asked him if he spoke English he shook his head. I guess he must have thought I was with the band, because thats where he took me. The band the offspring were <unflattering words snipped>. They were like GTFO, go buy a ticket, and such. The Band AFI whom I'd never previously heard, where much cooler, saying hey, have a seat, have some food with us.

NCLI
April 22nd, 2010, 10:24 PM
Denmark has a queen?!?!

We do indeed. Oldest ongoing monarchy in the world, in fact.
http://goffe.minisite.dk/sites/YWDEEEEE/img/article/d72cfb8f-6cea-4005-aa8d-33a38a06a23donningnet_300_jpg.jpg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margrethe_II_of_Denmark)

A princess, if that's what he meant.

We have that too.
http://www.topnews.in/light/files/princess-mary.jpg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Mary_of_Denmark)

toupeiro
April 22nd, 2010, 10:33 PM
hmmm, haven't met too many.. Lets see:

I've met Mr. T. and the entire A-Team...
Victor Wootin (one of the best bass players alive, if not THE best)
I walked by Michael Jackson once at Disneyland.
I've sat in the Knight Rider car, but that would be something famous, not someone.
I met Pelé.
I sat on a plane with Newfound Glory.

I think that might be it.

samalex
April 22nd, 2010, 10:37 PM
At ComicCon in Dallas about 6 or so years ago I met Erin Gray (Buck Rogers, Sam Jones (Flash Gordan), and George Lowe (Space Ghost), and they were all great! My wife, another friend, and I actually sat down with Erin Gray and talked for a long time because my wife works in a school and Erin Gray is working with a group that helps support schools (or she was at the time).

That same day we were second row on a Blade Trinity panel with David S. Goyer, Jessica Biel, and Ryan Reynolds. We were sitting so freakin close to them it was weird though.

I also saw Richard Stallman at SXSW in 2003, and again we didn't meet personally but we were sitting close enough to, well let's just say it must've been a long trip for him to Austin with few places to shower.

Also not meeting personally, but in the 80's my mom was heavily into politics and we have letters and cards to her and our family from George HW Bush, Michael Dukakis, Ann Richards (her and my mom were actually really good friends), and many other names in politics of that time.

Sam

TheFu
April 22nd, 2010, 10:39 PM
My heroes are engineers, not celebrities. People that truly change the world, not just "exist."

President Carter while he was President. Shook his hand outside AF-1 in a line with 15 others.

Vice President Al Gore while he was VP. Shook his hand when he visited the new MCC my company built.

Jon "Maddog" Hall came to convince NASA to switch to Linux instead of using Solaris, OSF/1, Digital Unix, AIX, ..... It was 3 of us in a room for a few hours, then we went out for beers.

A number of astronauts (20+) US, Russian, Canadian. Worked with them over a 3 yr period, off and on. Mike Coats http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Coats was my boss, so he was in quarterly meetings with my avionic software team.

Famous NASA scientists who have been on PBS shows like NOVA like John Muratore http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Muratore and a few others who I can't recall.

Met the Russian cosmonauts in a local Kroger while doing my normal shopping. They were like kids in a candy store buying chocolate. This was just a few years after the USSR broke up. Fairly nice folks.

Lots of company CEOs - IBM, AT&T, Sun, EMC, etc... but those guys meet lots of people all the time just like rock bands.

JoeWheeler
April 22nd, 2010, 10:42 PM
We do indeed. Oldest ongoing monarchy in the world, in fact.

Wow you learn something new everyday.

And wow, nice princess

medic2000
April 22nd, 2010, 11:34 PM
I met with the metal band Blind Guardian actually with Hansi and Andre. After the concert they went the same bar with me in İstanbul Taksim :) Nice folks by the way. Hail to the bards!

NightwishFan
April 22nd, 2010, 11:37 PM
I have met Cher in person, shes very nice.

scouser73
April 23rd, 2010, 01:58 AM
I met an actor from the television series Rome who was actually driving a private hire taxi, no joke btw.

cariboo
April 23rd, 2010, 02:44 AM
I met Neil Young (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Young), back stage after a concert in Kamloops, and had a couple of beers with Donovan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donovan), here in Williams Lake after a show.

jaco223
April 23rd, 2010, 02:45 AM
Oh, I forgot to mention Stanley Jordan. Met him and hung out with him after a show
at the Grand opera House in Wilmington. A phenomenal guitarist by the way.

http://www.stanleyjordan.com/

themarker0
April 23rd, 2010, 02:49 AM
I met maifa boy.

caro
April 23rd, 2010, 02:54 AM
I've met two Atlanta Braves players: John Smoltz at the gym and Chipper Jones at a restaurant.

I nearly collided with Newt Gingrich at the Atlanta airport when he turned around abruptly and with Lynn Russell (CNN anchor) at Lenox Mall.

I met singers Wayne Watson and David Crowder.

Chronon
April 23rd, 2010, 03:16 AM
In no particular order: Michael Hedges, the Dalai Lama and Everlast.

sydbat
April 23rd, 2010, 03:26 AM
Far too many to mention...going back nearly 30 years when I was in radio and then as a tour guide/driver and even today.

Some notables though...

Kim Mitchell (Akimbo Alogo tour - Interview)
Graham Green (actor - in Jasper)
Calgary Flames, San Jose Sharks, Edmonton Oilers (in 2006)
Most local (Calgary) TV and radio personalities

More that I do not remember than remember...

wilee-nilee
April 23rd, 2010, 03:29 AM
Yes, I wont mention names as that some of them are friends.

earthpigg
April 23rd, 2010, 03:46 AM
shook hands with bush and condi. bush really does come off as a good ole country boy, and condi like a robot. no one-on-one conversations, just salutes and handshakes, and fake smiles.

drunkenly rambled at/with shinedown backstage with 3 of my friends for about 10 minutes. they were tolerant of our ramblings.

ate dinner with the CEO of intel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_Barrett_%28Intel_President%29), his wife and about a half dozen others. i didn't have a chance to speak to him one-on-one, unfortunately, and start grilling him.

i had an opportunity to meet the civil rights activist Anna Walentynowicz (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_Walentynowicz) but sadly did not take it, and she has since passed away (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Polish_Air_Force_Tu-154_crash).

NightHawk877
April 23rd, 2010, 04:16 AM
I met author, animal scientist and autism rights activist, Dr. Temple Grandin at an autism conference in Austin last February. I met well known astronauts at Space camp when I was 8 and J.K Rowling came to my elementary school when I was 11.

wilee-nilee
April 23rd, 2010, 04:24 AM
I met author, animal scientist and autism rights activist, Dr. Temple Grandin at an autism conference in Austin last February. I met well known astronauts at Space camp when I was 8 and J.K Rowling came to my elementary school when I was 11.

Dr. Grandin cool I would love to meet her, her story is amazing, and her work in the livestock industries is top rate.

Bölvağur
April 23rd, 2010, 04:42 AM
Yes, but I dont really care at all about them. They are only normal people many people know who are for some random reason.
There are not many famous people I would like to talk to.

lisati
April 23rd, 2010, 04:46 AM
I met author, animal scientist and autism rights activist, Dr. Temple Grandin at an autism conference in Austin last February.
Awesome!

Ripfox
April 23rd, 2010, 04:52 AM
I met and hung out with (meaning got a little spaced out) with Tommy Lee, my band opened up for Asleep At The Wheel, Derek Trucks, Dispatch, OAR and Merle Saunders, so I met them all too!

:P:P:P

NightwishFan
April 23rd, 2010, 04:54 AM
I have two friends that got to meet all of Nightwish. I have not had the chance myself. :(

rogerpittman
April 23rd, 2010, 05:23 AM
I've met several of the actors from the Lord of the Rings trilogy: Sean Astin, Billy Boyd, Elijah Wood, John Noble, Andy Serkis, Miranda Otto, and David Wenham (had photos taken at different times with Sean, Billy, Andy and David).

My first meeting with an actor, though, would be Henry Winkler - that was almost 30 years ago, though.

matthew.ball
April 23rd, 2010, 05:28 AM
Depends on the definition of famous I guess. My dad is technically famous, but not many people here would have heard of him for instance.

I met Richard Stallman in 2004, and I have just confirmed a visit from him to Canberra in October of this year. I know a few famous academics - David Chalmers, Brendan McKay, Richard Brent, Michael Barnsley and Andrew Tridgell. There are more, but these guys seem to have done the most notable work.

I met Dream Theater when they came to Australia, but it was really on a hand-shake as I was rather speechless.

nmccrina
April 23rd, 2010, 05:57 AM
I could have met a Pulitzer Prize winner (Natasha Trethewey) when she came to my college earlier this spring, but I completely forgot about it and missed the event. :( I'm absent minded like that.

Also, my uncle was in the air force and worked with Donald Lopez, a test pilot and WW2 pilot who wrote a book that was a personal favourite of mine growing up. That doesn't really count for the purposes of this thread but it was cool to find out that someone I knew really well had met one of my heros.

ssj6akshat
April 23rd, 2010, 07:30 AM
We meet a lot of famous people every month.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPIC_MACAY

bigseb
April 23rd, 2010, 07:35 AM
i met nelson mandela twice, bumped into john isley of dire straits in a pub, matt damon at the argus, the nurglieva twins at the two oceans.

doas777
April 23rd, 2010, 07:06 PM
John Glenn's mother tried to have my friends and I arrested once. as close as we can tell, she sits in her apartment tower with a pair of binocs, and calls the cops on anyone less that 60 who passes by on the block below.

Berk
April 23rd, 2010, 07:15 PM
I met author, animal scientist and autism rights activist, Dr. Temple Grandin at an autism conference in Austin last February.

Can I be another to say awesome, she comes up a lot in my Animal Welfare course and does some great work.

I've met Batista, Triple H, Shane McMahon and Chris Jericho of WWE fame. I met them randomly in a night club in Tokyo, I complimented Jericho on his band as I'd seen them a couple of years before at Download festival and they rocked. I was also slightly chuffed that I was taller than him, though Batista is ****ing huge!

I've also met the guys from Viking Skull (a side project of Raging Speedhorn) and had a few drinks with them at Download festival.

Terry Pratchett is a repeat offender as I've been to 2 of his book signings now.

That's it off the top of my head.

Maheriano
April 23rd, 2010, 07:30 PM
You guys aren't going to know these but I enjoyed the meet.

Craig Lieberman - He's the technical director for the Fast And Furious movies and owned/customized many of the cars used in the movies. I talked to him for a bit about how he got the Skyline federalized for the movie along with some of the Evos, he's a nice guy. Those are my favourite movies so I enjoyed talking to someone who had such a huge impact on the main cars.

Johnny Fairplay - One of the contestants on Survivor 7, he fooled everyone into thinking his grandmother died so they'd take pity on him, it was awesome!

Jenna Lewis - Survivor contestant from seasons 1 and 8, she also has a sex tape out now. She was cool too.

That's it for me but Leonard Nemoy is here in Calgary this weekend for ComicCon and I think he's actually going to Vulcan as well....that's a town here in Alberta a little north of us. They are CRAZY with Star Trek there, they have museums, parades, they go all out. But Nemoy is charging $75 for a picture with him so I'm not going.

Crowchild
April 23rd, 2010, 07:56 PM
When I first read this I thought... I don't know any famous people and then as I began to think about I have running to all of them. So I'll just include the ones that I've actually spent some time with rather than just seeing.

When I worked with the Rhino Party:
Jacky Layton
Paul Martin
Sa Tan

At a Kid Koala concert in Montreal, I sat with David Suzuki and Justin Trudeau.

Flew with Don Cherry.

And I was a roadie/translator for Uchpa, a Quechua speaking rock band, in Peru.

dannyboy79
April 23rd, 2010, 08:02 PM
I met and ate cooked craw-dads and other southern fixin's with Mark Chumura, Brett Favre, and a couple other Packers whose names escape me at the moment. The Broke Spoke was a Bar that Brett's brother opened in Muskego, WI (there was also a Broke Spoke back in Mississippi where Brett was from) and it was right across the street from the woodworking shop I worked at when I was in high school. This is when Brett was in his prime and If I recall ReggiE white was still on the packers. Anyway, that's the famous person I met.

nothingspecial
April 23rd, 2010, 09:23 PM
I went to watch an England match at Old Trafford a few years ago, and Victoria Beckham walked past me. Close enough for me to touch ;)

I "ahem" relieved myself in a urinal, at Old Trafford, During a United game, next to Morrissey.

I couldn`t possibly have spoken to him.....

asddf
April 23rd, 2010, 09:29 PM
hmmm, haven't met too many.. Lets see:

I've met Mr. T. and the entire A-Team...
Victor Wootin (one of the best bass players alive, if not THE best)
I walked by Michael Jackson once at Disneyland.
I've sat in the Knight Rider car, but that would be something famous, not someone.
I met Pelé.
I sat on a plane with Newfound Glory.

I think that might be it.

OMG HE MET BA BARACUS!!! lol

swoll1980
April 23rd, 2010, 10:37 PM
I've meet tons of professional American Football players. I go to the Cleveland Browns training camp every year. I have pictures of them with my son. The most famous of those is probably Trent Dilfer, who won a super bowl, and is now an annalist for the American national sports network ESPN. I've meet a few actors at autograph signings, Cuba Gooding Jr. was one of them. Martin Sheen I met while I was bailing my step dad out of jail. They were arrested together during a protest of WTI which was a toxic waste disposal center in E.Liverpool, Ohio. WWE Wrestlers Mark Calaway "The Undertaker", and Bill Moody "Paul Bearer" used to drink at the bar my mom worked at, so I've met them many times, and actually drank with them on several occasions. I met Barack Obama at a rally he had in Mentor, Ohio before he was elected president. Iv'e also been interviewed by Lori Vick, she's not nationally known, but in the Cleveland area she's a huge celebrity. That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Fenris_rising
April 23rd, 2010, 10:58 PM
I met Norman Wisdom in Swindon where he was doing a show at the theater. He is a childhood hero of mine and I got to shake hands with him and tell him he is great =D

Met Terry Pratchett at a book signing and shook his hand to. Very witty man and sharp as a pin!

Jon Snow, a news reader. I gave up my seat at Polly's tea rooms in Marlborough for his son who had his leg in plaster. Jon said 'thanks very much" and shook my hand.

regards

Fenris

beercz
April 23rd, 2010, 11:07 PM
I have met the following famous people:

The Duke of Edinburgh (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Philip,_Duke_of_Edinburgh#Issue)
Prince Edward (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Edward,_Earl_of_Wessex)
Jo Brand (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jo_Brand)
Betty Boothroyd (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betty_Boothroyd)
Jimmy Saville (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Saville)

Shining Arcanine
April 23rd, 2010, 11:18 PM
Not including seeing people live in bands, that's common and happens everywhere.

When I was in Ottawa, I shook hands with Jean Cretien on Canada day back around 2002.

When I was very young, Queen Elizabeth was visiting Newfoundland. My family went to the scene and we were about 20 metres away from her. Not really "meeting", but I saw her in person at a fairly close distance.

Share!

I have shaken hands with Dr. James Watson and Dr. Bill Donohue. I even have Dr. Watson's autograph.

rabiabidabi
April 23rd, 2010, 11:32 PM
I had dinner with B.B. King, had a couple of beers with Kelly Slater, and got drunk with Paul Rodriguez.

I met and conversed with Paula Poundstone, Warren Zevon, Dave Mason and Earl Klugh.

I shook hands with Patrick Ewing at Newark airport.

I've met a few politicians, but they're more infamous than famous.\\:D/

chucky chuckaluck
April 24th, 2010, 12:13 AM
i was a berkshire music center student in 1981. leonard bernstein would often show up at our dorm and hang out. pretty nice guy for such a huge ego. and about 15 years ago, mrs. chuckaluck and i met jane goodall after her lecture at the duke primate center. she seemed somewhat despairing over the situation with chimps and wildlife, in general, in africa. she was very nice and autographed a book for us.

JDShu
April 24th, 2010, 12:27 AM
Not that famous, but one of the guys I work under is a 5th gen heir to a factory and has been making some noise on the news the past few weeks. We've received some calls from fans :D

Redundant Username
April 24th, 2010, 02:22 AM
Tony Hargrove (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Hargrove) Graduated from my school he visited the school a couple weeks ago.

kenweill
April 24th, 2010, 03:01 AM
Q: Have any of you met famous people?
A: Yeah. I meet a very famous person everyday. My wife actually. She's very famous in my province.

ratcheer
April 24th, 2010, 03:21 AM
I have met a few. I am referring to people I have met and had conversations with, not just famous people in the same room with me. Anyway, the ones I can think of off hand are Joe Namath, Gene Kranz (the engineer who figured out how to save the Apollo 13 mission), and Baba Ram Dass. There are probably a few others I don't recall, right now.

Tim

RPG Master
April 24th, 2010, 03:26 AM
I've talked to Matthew Thiessen (of Relient K) and Jon Foreman (of Switchfoot) after a concert. After taking pictures we (Me, two of my friends and Matt and Jon) had an in depth discussion on how awesome Guitar Hero was, what difficultly we played on, and how we all had GH3 pre-ordered. It was pretty awesome :D

Also, Sinbad was in the Guitar Center right next to the gamestop I was browsing in one day. Really random. I mean, I have no clue why Sinbad would be looking around Guitar Center... down here in Mobile, Alabama. :P

Edit: Also, not me, but my mom went to the same Mississippi highschool as Brittany Spears.

toupeiro
April 24th, 2010, 03:31 AM
OMG HE MET BA BARACUS!!! lol

And he ain't got time fo no jibba jabba.

alexfish
April 24th, 2010, 04:06 AM
not people or persons but some very likeable groups, yet spoke to many of the musicians
here at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newbiggin-by-the-Sea

I was amazed how down to earth they where, especially geno washington and the rag time band

PS geno your rider cost a fortune ,but not as in the group with an s ( + free beer )did not count the glasses , someone else lent me some dosh ,but your smile will always be remembered ,

regards

alexfish

and all at the above

Merk42
April 24th, 2010, 04:30 AM
Met a bunch of video game composers during an 'afterparty' for Video Games Live, like Tommy Tallarico and others.

On a separate occasioan I met Alton Brown, who's on TV as I write this

oldsoundguy
April 24th, 2010, 05:23 AM
I've talked to Matthew Thiessen (of Relient K) and Jon Foreman (of Switchfoot) after a concert. After taking pictures we (Me, two of my friends and Matt and Jon) had an in depth discussion on how awesome Guitar Hero was, what difficultly we played on, and how we all had GH3 pre-ordered. It was pretty awesome :D

Also, Sinbad was in the Guitar Center right next to the gamestop I was browsing in one day. Really random. I mean, I have no clue why Sinbad would be looking around Guitar Center... down here in Mobile, Alabama.

Edit: Also, not me, but my mom went to the same Mississippi highschool as Brittany Spears.

the guitar player on Guitar Hero is Lance Taber from Sacremento (most of the tracks)
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2165038/

lotsa club gigs together in days gone by.

Warpnow
April 24th, 2010, 06:33 AM
Stood about a foot from William Shatner at a Star Trek convention as he signed my recalled action figure.

lisati
April 24th, 2010, 06:45 AM
I've met a few politicians, but they're more infamous than famous.\\:D/

Dare I mention that I've conversed with Winston Peters (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winston_Peters) over a cup of coffee? (It was a long time ago when I was a lot younger and, believe it or not, even more naive.)

Madspyman
April 24th, 2010, 07:20 AM
I was an extra in a short film Ms. Julia staring Katy Selverstone (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0783596/).

She played a teacher at a college I was one of the students taking notes in class the camera pans by me pretty quick.

She seemed pretty nice, said hi, had about a minute conversation, she wondered if she was a believable enough teacher. I honestly had no idea who she was, until a friend of mine told me she was in the Yaha Sisterhood, and then I still had no idea. Later I IMDb'd her and realized I'd recognized her from the Drew Carey show, she played Drew's girlfriend in the first season.

There's no IMDb record of it, so here's an article about it from the college it was shot at.

http://vq.vassar.edu/issue/summer_2007/article/vassartoday-art-summer-07

standingwave
April 24th, 2010, 08:02 AM
Keeping this beyond just shaking hands with someone and exchanging a few words...

I got to meet and work with Bill Nye the Science Guy at a astronomy convention. We were working with children and building telescopes from kits (http://stargazer.isys.ca/) that had been donated. Also got to meet Story Musgrave (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Story_Musgrave) at the same con.

Had a smoke with Warren Zevon once. (Yeah, I know I need to quit.) It was a small concert and he took an intermission. I went outside for a smoke and the usher diverted me away from the door and down an alley so my smoke wouldn't bother anyone. So I'm standing there enjoying my cigarette and out of a side door pops Warren and a security guard in tow. I even got to give him a light! Now I'm going nuts because I've been a fan since college circa 1977 but I kept it cool and we wound up just BSing about fishing. (He was on his way to Montana for some fly fishing and I was able to converse intelligently about that. Hitting him for an autograph was the furthest thing from my mind. I've got the memory and that's worth more a piece of paper.

I got to meet Robert Forward (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_L._Forward) at a Mars convention. I had ducked out of one of the tracks to use the restroom and there he was, just hanging out having just given a lecture. Wound up spending the better part of an hour just BSing about space tethers and orbital mechanics.

gnomeuser
April 24th, 2010, 09:30 AM
I met Paul-Henning Kamp, famed FreeBSD hacker and all round good guy.

I also spend several weeks in the proximity of a man who, unknown to me at the time, was labelled by the police as the most dangerous man in Denmark. A multiple violent offender and sociopath who had gotten injured and lost his left arm in a shotgun related incident. He told the course organizers and us that he lost it defending his niece from a potential rapist. The reality was that he harassed a witness against him in a credit card fraud case so badly that the witness felt a need to defend his home by firing a shotgun through his front door.

Now at the time I didn't know, I was attending a course for handicapped people and on various counts I inadvertently pissed this guy off (long story). So imagine my shock when one night during a trip, the police comes to drag him away in the middle of the night.

rottentree
April 24th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Now at the time I didn't know, I was attending a course for handicapped people and on various counts I inadvertently pissed this guy off (long story). So imagine my shock when one night during a trip, the police comes to drag him away in the middle of the night.

One should never get on gnomeuser's bad side?

I once met Osama Bin Laden. He was holding a map and asked me where Iraq is because he was heading for a meeting there but got lost on the way and he was late so I did what any good citizen would do.
I tried to explain to him how to get there while showing the route on the map but I accidentally touched his hand (which was holding the map) and he disappeared in a puff of smoke.

NightwishFan
April 24th, 2010, 11:16 AM
I met Paul-Henning Kamp, famed FreeBSD hacker and all round good guy.

I also spend several weeks in the proximity of a man who, unknown to me at the time, was labelled by the police as the most dangerous man in Denmark. A multiple violent offender and sociopath who had gotten injured and lost his left arm in a shotgun related incident. He told the course organizers and us that he lost it defending his niece from a potential rapist. The reality was that he harassed a witness against him in a credit card fraud case so badly that the witness felt a need to defend his home by firing a shotgun through his front door.

That is a fairly frightening tale. I normally would not believe something like that but you seem like a man of obvious integrity.

Rackstar
April 24th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Nobody met Mark Shuttleworth? Come onnnn :D

cgroza
April 24th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Tony Antony. He know Kung Fu.

dragos240
April 24th, 2010, 01:24 PM
I've met richard stallman. He signed my t-shirt :D.