PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 9.10 boots to a blank screen

skeltonath
April 22nd, 2010, 08:27 PM
Hi, I'm totally new to linux, and was trying to get started by installing ubuntu on my laptop. Unfortunately, whenever I boot from my harddrive or my USB drive, I can hear the normal sounds, but the screen is totally blank. I've searched around a little on this problem and tried to use ctrl+alt+f1, but nothing happens. Is there any way I can get something to display?

mikewhatever
April 22nd, 2010, 09:38 PM
What do you mean by 'normal sound'?
Can you post your computer specs - CPU, RAM, graphics.

skeltonath
April 22nd, 2010, 10:35 PM
By normal sounds I mean the login screen sounds. I can hear the drums that play, but I can't see anything.

Model: HP Pavilion dv6 notebook PC
CPU: 2.1GHz Intel Core2 Duo
Memory: 6gb of RAM
Graphics: Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset

I think those are all right. Thanks for the quick reply.

oldfred
April 23rd, 2010, 05:42 PM
Did the liveCD work ok? Or did you have to use f6 (i think) to select a special setting for video modes. If you can find a mode that works then from the grub menu, edit the boot line. I would remove the quiet splash (to see what is happening) and add the video setting at the end of the boot line. With Lucid I had to add nomodeset but I think that is new. Other settings are noapc apci=ht or apm=off and others I do not know.

skeltonath
April 25th, 2010, 01:31 AM
Well, I just tried making a LiveCD and booting from that, but that didn't work. So, I tried all of the f6 settings and nothing helped. Any ideas?

oldfred
April 25th, 2010, 05:08 PM
You said you had it installed. Does the menu grub come up (or hold shift from BIOS boot) so you can select recovery mode? That should not load graphics and may let you update system to get it to work.

saliflo
April 25th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Same problem. I can open boot menu but recovery mode is same blank screen too.

skeltonath
April 25th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Yup. Just tried recovery mode, but nothing changed.

oldfred
April 25th, 2010, 07:42 PM
With recovery mode or standard boot without quiet & splash to you see any error messages before the screen goes blank? Blank screen is usually a video issue and recovery should get you to the new recovery menu or command line.

saliflo
April 25th, 2010, 09:20 PM
No can't notice error msg.

skeltonath
April 27th, 2010, 06:29 AM
Yeah, there's no error messages for me either.