Corsair 8 GB PC-1066 with Fan
OCZ 128 GB SSD
850 W PSU
1GB Nvidia (BFG) PCI 2.0
Integrated Sound
Vista Ultimate SP 2

I tried to install Ubuntu 9.10 (64 bit) and I got two situations:

1. I have to pay for the Nvidia driver.
2. During installation, I did not have the option to re-size the HD in order to make a dual boot.

Any help will be appreciated. :P

oldfred
April 22nd, 2010, 06:20 PM
Welcome to the forums.

Who is asking you to pay for a Nvidia driver? Its free to download from Ubuntu or from Nvidia.

Have you used all four partitions?

Does liveCD work ok and then ask to download nvidia driver?

From liveCD post this:

sudo fdisk -l

2hot6ft2
April 22nd, 2010, 06:37 PM
Welcome to the forum

You should resize the windows partitions in windows so it doesn't freak out.
Graphics drivers are free or you didn't install ubuntu like oldfred said.
And when you get to the partitioner select Manual and Forward for it to load so you have more control over the partitioning.

Phank
April 23rd, 2010, 12:16 AM
Thanks Folks :KS. Here is the deal...

I installed Ubuntu 9.10 32-bit to a secondary PC (Dell 4600) and worked just great. Smooth and straightforward installation. The installer gave me the option to resize the HD and I just typed the size to be used. The resized was done automatically and without the need to do the partition manually. I have had the same experience previously with Fedora.

With my main PC turn out to be otherwise. I tried the live cd mode and the POST mode and both do not gave me the same problem. I tried another time and the only option is to wipe the slate clean or do manual partition.

With regards the driver, I did not get the same message this time. If I get to install the OS, maybe I'll see.

Hint will be highly appreciated. :)

Phank
April 23rd, 2010, 12:17 AM
Oopps! I actually got the same installation problem with live cd and POST installation.:confused: