PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Problem with Panels

xycris
April 22nd, 2010, 03:38 PM
Hi,

I just encountered a problem with my desktop panels in Ubuntu 10.04. I cannot anymore delete the panel!

I have had the default panel at the bottom of the desktop set not to Expand and to Autohide. I then encountered my mouse's left button damaged some time on and just one click is equivalent to a double click. This caused the panel at the bottom to move together with the mouse's movement and was placed in the middle of the screen. I tried to move the panel but was not able to and made the mouse move away from the misplaced panel causing it to autohide.

Now I don't know how to recover the hidden panel. Whenever I make a new panel they are invisible too! And it is already consuming screen space. Is there a manage panel window just like how KDE handle's it? Or how can I delete those unwanted invisible panel and make a new one that is not invisible?

Hope you can help me.

drs305
April 22nd, 2010, 03:44 PM
If your panels didn't have a lot of customization that you don't mind losing, you can simply rename ~/.gconf/apps/panel folder and log out. When you log back in, you should get the default panels and settings back.

sunk8
April 22nd, 2010, 04:11 PM
Hi,
I just encountered a problem with my desktop panels in Ubuntu 10.04. I cannot anymore delete the panel!
This caused the panel at the bottom to move together with the mouse's movement and was placed in the middle of the screen. I tried to move the panel but was not able to and made the mouse move away from the misplaced panel causing it to autohide.
Now I don't know how to recover the hidden panel. Whenever I make a new panel they are invisible too! And it is already consuming screen space.Or how can I delete those unwanted invisible panel and make a new one that is not invisible?
Hope you can help me.

Hey I had a similar problem recently...
All the panels that I created were invisible...
They consumed screen space and couldn't be selected when I click/right click on that empty space...
However when I moved a window near them, they showed their existence as the windows would stop a bit before moving (if you get my meaning).
I tried a reboot and was able to see them again...
See if that helps...

xycris
April 23rd, 2010, 10:18 PM
hi sunk8 and drs305,

i tried reboot and yes it did made the panels appear. but somehow, the misplaced panel is hard to return to the original location or delete it because it only appears in the middle of the screen when the mouse is placed at the bottom of the screen.

i tried drs305's suggestion and it did solved my problem. i just redid my panels' customisation all over again. plus, i bought a new mouse. :)

thanks for your help.

sunk8
April 24th, 2010, 02:42 AM
Well, if it solved ur problem, do mark this thread as [Solved].
:guitar: