PDA

View Full Version : Silversurfer migrated to Ubuntu

ade234uk
April 22nd, 2010, 10:17 AM
Was helping one of my dads old friends. He is 70 years old. Well I installed Windows for him about 5 months ago, and it was just hassle after hassle with him calling me asking questions.

In the end he got a virus so I thought sod this.

Last month I asked him if he fancied trying something different, so I installed Ubuntu on his machine.

Sat down with him, had a cup of tea and was so surprised how quickly he got to using the system. In fact the only thing I need to show him was how to login.

So it's 1 months in now, and yesterday I asked him what he thought of it. He said its great and still running fast. He said its easier than that other one you put on for me. Its very simple.

So there you go another win for Ubuntu.

scouser73
April 22nd, 2010, 01:09 PM
Nice one, always good to hear about this kind of story.

Zlatan
April 22nd, 2010, 01:55 PM
got my parents on that- they were using xp with outdated antivirus, lots of no-sense popups and all that cr&p. so i've put ubuntu karmic on my old pc, brought it there with remote desktop enabled- no problem after all, another happy users there:)

madjr
April 22nd, 2010, 02:43 PM
Win!

Phrea
April 22nd, 2010, 02:48 PM
got my parents on that- they were using xp with outdated antivirus, lots of no-sense popups and all that cr&p. so i've put ubuntu karmic on my old pc, brought it there with remote desktop enabled- no problem after all, another happy users there:)

I wish I could do that with my parents, but sadly, they are both complete ignorants when it comes to computers, but they do use them and they do need them.
So I can't just convert their computers, it'll be way too much of a hassle to reteach them everything from scratch again.

MindSz
April 22nd, 2010, 03:19 PM
I switched the family computer at my dad's house. They had XP full of malware and general windows trash. I installed Karmic on it and now it runs smoothly. Not the fastest machine around, but it's OK for the younger siblings. (Plus I set a Macross pic as wallpaper so it looks awesome!)

Zlatan
May 13th, 2010, 09:54 AM
one has to be ready to be converted;)

I wish I could do that with my parents, but sadly, they are both complete ignorants when it comes to computers, but they do use them and they do need them.
So I can't just convert their computers, it'll be way too much of a hassle to reteach them everything from scratch again.