PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] [10.04] GNOME Appearance Settings missing the Interface tab

Clorow
April 22nd, 2010, 01:28 AM
I tried out the 10.04 beta in VirtualBox, and the tab for Interface in Appearance Settings was gone. This tab allowed you to edit the appearance of Toolbars in Ubuntu. You could edit whether Icons showed up in the toolbar buttons and whether Text shows up beside it.

This is kind of a minor annoyance for me; is there any way to edit this option outside of the appearance settings? I'm sure there is (like editing some config file or GConf), but I'm not sure where.

Frazzle001
May 2nd, 2010, 12:26 PM
I think this may be a change in the latest version of Gnome, as I've come across this problem on a Fedora machine as well.

If you change the following key using gconf-editor you can get the text back under the icons:

/desktop/gnome/interface/toolbar_style

The value for text and icons is "both", but there's some helper text in gconf-editor if you want one of the other options.

SushiR
May 2nd, 2010, 12:47 PM
Or try this: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/04/easily-access-missing-interface-tab.html

Prium
August 7th, 2010, 09:16 AM
Nice one SushiR - worked perfectly.

benbois
September 6th, 2010, 06:22 AM
With Lucid, you can also do the job using the soft Ubuntu Tweak.
Install it, run it and go to the menu entry "Gnome Settings", check "Show icons in menus".
Easy way to (re)show the missing icons!

ponga
February 3rd, 2011, 03:51 AM
In gconf-editor, I just enabled this setting: "menus_have_icons" -- ALL my icons came back! HOORAY BEER!