PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] kubuntu 10.04 beta2 updated instead of final version?

OldAlgis
April 22nd, 2010, 01:02 AM
Two days ago I downloaded kubuntu 10.04 beta2 CD and installed it as a demo version. I have updated it with all available updates - some 400 of them.

Installation went without any hiccups, the display is OK, graphics superb - love it all. I wonder if it would be "safe" to start using it as a production tool, configure the software as required and avoid fresh re-install on or soon after April 29 when the final version of 10.04 becomes available?

What is the unofficial recommendation of experienced users about converting betas to production versions via updates? Any pitfalls?

Thanks in advance, thank you for your opinion!

ankspo71
April 22nd, 2010, 02:32 AM
It all depends on the individual I suppose. I can see by your number of posts and join date that you are not new to Kubuntu/Ubuntu, but I will mention some of the basic questions I feel are needed for people to use beta staged systems, for good measure, being that it was only two days ago you upgraded or installed.

Does the person have a spare computer to use if something goes horribly wrong? This is not terribly important if the person can do the following:

Does the person have any way to store data on a separate drive? This is especially good for breakdowns, because recovering files requires having a place to put them. It's great for regular backups too.

You can consider this next part optional (some people may have different opinions though). Does the individual have any command line experience with basic file operations, and editing text files, and getting necessary repair info from the Internet, and updating/adding/removing applications, all without using a desktop? People with live cds shouldn't have to worry about this as much, or barely at all, because usually whatever needs to be done can be done graphically in the livecd. Testers using the Alt-cd and server cd are at a big disadvantage, unless they know their way around the terminal.

Ubuntu (and Kubuntu) Lucid have been stable for me as fas as alpha1 through beta2 quality goes, but I did have a few bumps in the road that usually occurs with testing (and learning from my mistakes). Overall they have been doing very good though.

ankspo71
April 22nd, 2010, 02:46 AM
I'm sorry, I forgot to mention where you can find nearly all Ubuntu/Kubuntu 10.04 related discussions.

Ubuntu Forums > The Ubuntu Forum Community > Other Community Discussions > Development & Programming > Lucid Lynx Testing and Discussion (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=377)

There you will see some of the issues people are having, and where you can get any info/advice you might need.

OldAlgis
April 22nd, 2010, 03:50 AM
It all depends on the individual I suppose.

1. Does the person have a spare computer to use if something goes horribly wrong? This is not terribly important if the person can do the following:

2. Does the person have any way to store data on a separate drive? This is especially good for breakdowns, because recovering files requires having a place to put them. It's great for regular backups too.

3. Does the individual have any command line experience with basic file operations, and editing text files, and getting necessary repair info from the Internet.

1. Yes - I have 2 boxes, connected via KVM switch to the same keyboard, mouse, screen.

2. Yes. Also, I always keep all data on a separate partition, shared between several distros on different partitions. (grub2 is a bit of a pain for an old fellow - steep learning curve).

3. I often need help for CLI, as I am suffering memory degradation, particularly the short term memory. I am happy to try and it makes it easier to document than GUI.

Finally, thank you for setting my mind at rest. I thought that, except for real breakdowns, after all diffs are applied to beta2, there should be no (significant) difference from the final release.

I am really grateful - heartfelt "THANK YOU"!

ankspo71
April 22nd, 2010, 07:05 AM
Hi again,
Since Kubuntu is working great for you now and since that it is close to the final release date, it is less likely for you to see any serious problems. It's good to be prepared though (and it sounds like you are), because some of the updates during the alpha and beta stages could break a system. I'm not too experienced with using CLI personally, but I know a handful of the shorter commands. :) By what you answered, you sound like you will be fine using the beta.