PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Kubuntu first impressions... meh....

outleradam
April 21st, 2010, 11:48 PM
I had many difficulties with the Kubuntu installation from the Beta2 release and the Daily Live release.

Here's the big negatives
1. I wanted to install it on SDB1. It would not let me change the boot loader installation folder. There were no options for that.
2. It crashed numerous times, I was only able to submit one bug report.

Here's my oppinions.
+++The graphics were really really cool
+++KDE is very customizable
+++Alot of details were added
+++Did I mention the graphics?!?!? Holy cow!

---Seems like every other program I tried crashed
---Unfamiliar programs
---Desktop gives unfinished look, like the bar at the top should be worked on or filled up

Overall:
Kubuntu seems unrefined. Kubuntu leaves me feeling like "who the hell bothered to make this and didn't debug it". Kubuntu scares me because it is too different and needs refinement. Between the crashing and the funny looking/acting desktop, it will be a long time before I try it again.

OldAlgis
April 22nd, 2010, 12:49 AM
I had many difficulties with the Kubuntu installation from the Beta2 release and the Daily Live release.

Here's the big negatives
1. I wanted to install it on SDB1. It would not let me change the boot loader installation folder. There were no options for that.
2. It crashed numerous times, I was only able to submit one bug report.

I installed kubuntu beta2 - 10.04 without any of the problems you mention. It looks great and I am so impressed with it that I wonder if I should bother to install the the 29-th April version once it becomes available. In fact I am about to ask if it would be worth while to configure now the software on beta2 and skip the installation of the final version (I would like to avoid lots of downloads. After all, there already were about 400 updates of the beta2 version after installation).

I thought you might like to see an alternative opinion.

Why am I so happy with beta2? Perhaps I was just lucky this time!

james_xxx
April 22nd, 2010, 01:06 AM
OldAlgis,

You will not need to re-install to have the final release (Apr. 29) version.

Just do your updates here on out, and you will have the final release.