PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] GDebi and APT won't work

Phyxiis
April 21st, 2010, 10:17 PM
I installed Linux Mint 8 (which I believe is a flavor of Ubuntu 9.10) and I have everything good except for the GDebi and APT installations

Previously I was able to open a .DEB file when Firefox prompted me to choose what to do, now it doesn't.

Same thing with the APT option. With Getdeb apps I use to be able to click the INSTALL NOW and it would prompt me to install using APT. Like the GDebi, it doesn't do this anymore.

How can I get it so Firefox can open .DEB files in it along with the APT command

uRock
April 21st, 2010, 10:20 PM
When you say apt doesn't work do you mean you can't run Update Manager and Synaptic nor any apt-get commands? If yes, then you may have a bad install, either the CD was bad or the downloaded image was bad.

Phyxiis
April 21st, 2010, 10:32 PM
I mean when I go to Getdeb.net and click an app's Install Now button it should open a page and a pop-up comes up saying "Whic program do you want to open this with" and APT is automatically selected but mine says "Firefox doesn't know a program that can handle this filetype (or something like that). You can change file associations in Preference"

I can use Update Manager and Symantic(spell check)

Phyxiis
April 21st, 2010, 10:35 PM
It randomly works now. Thanks for the help though. This is solved for me at least

uRock
April 21st, 2010, 10:42 PM
Symantic(spell check)
Symantic is the company that produces Norton Anti-Virus.

I have always downloaded the deb to the desktop, then opened it with GDebi.