PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How tto make single directory for users

mealstrom
April 21st, 2010, 10:12 PM
Hi,

How can i manage just one directory of /home/*/Downloads (Music/Video/Pictures) for
all users with propper rights?

Just create some directory /var/share/music and link it to every's /home/*/Music ?
Or create directory and make links there from /home/*/Music ?

Maybe some other solution?

(single PC, just want all users to have same directory/access for video/music (files rwx|r--|r-- ))

Morbius1
April 21st, 2010, 10:24 PM
BINDFS may be the way to solve your requirement:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8983087#post8983087

ajgreeny
April 21st, 2010, 10:41 PM
Just make a directory which has read and write privileges to all members of the audio and video groups, and add all users you want to be able to access the audio and video files to those two groups. You can then either make the directory in one user's home and link a directory in the home of all the others to that directory, or if you have a shared partition, put it in there.

sisco311
April 21st, 2010, 11:46 PM
Just make a directory which has read and write privileges to all members of the audio and video groups, and add all users you want to be able to access the audio and video files to those two groups. You can then either make the directory in one user's home and link a directory in the home of all the others to that directory, or if you have a shared partition, put it in there.

The problem with your suggestion is that new files will not inherit the permissions. Changing the umask & primary group of the users may work.

@OP

+1 for bindfs or use ACLs & symbolic links:
community/UbuntuLTSP/ACLSupport

@Morbius1

That's the worst howto I have ever read. :)

On a more serious note, since this is a faq, I will try to write a proper tutorial when I have a little time.

@OP (again)

check out bindfs & ACLs. If you have more questions, please feel free to ask.

Morbius1
April 22nd, 2010, 11:52 AM
@Morbius1

That's the worst howto I have ever read. :)

On a more serious note, since this is a faq, I will try to write a proper tutorial when I have a little time.

I'd be interested to see what a "proper" howto looks from you. I've been pointing people in this and other forums to your bindfs procedure. It's so simple that even I can follow it. :wink:

mealstrom
April 22nd, 2010, 01:37 PM
tnx,
ACL is what i've been looking for.

sisco311
April 25th, 2010, 10:56 PM
I'd be interested to see what a "proper" howto looks from you. I've been pointing people in this and other forums to your bindfs procedure. It's so simple that even I can follow it. :wink:

Something like this: