PDA

View Full Version : Sony E Reader

KegHead
April 21st, 2010, 09:41 PM
Hi!

I just purchased and received the hand held Sony e reader.

Anyone out there with any experience and knowledge downloading books and the best sites for FREE downloads?

I'm using 10.04.

Thanks!

KegHead

mkendall
April 22nd, 2010, 09:48 AM
www.gutenberg.org/

lisati
April 22nd, 2010, 10:06 AM
The internet archive (http://www.archive.org/index.php) has some texts available for download.

chrisxuk
April 22nd, 2010, 10:09 AM
I've a wacky idea. How about paying for your books? You wouldn't go into a book store and just walk out with a handful of books without paying.

chrisxuk
April 22nd, 2010, 10:11 AM
On another note, I can recommend a book for you though.

Ben Mezrich - The Accidental Billionaires: The Founding of Facebook

Very good book, although I got the audiobook from Audible :)

KegHead
April 22nd, 2010, 01:09 PM
Hi!

Thanks for your replies!

KegHead

nothingspecial
April 22nd, 2010, 01:18 PM
I've a wacky idea. How about paying for your books?

And how do you propose we forward the money to Lewis Carrol or Jane Austen should we wish to read one of their works?

mkendall
April 22nd, 2010, 08:20 PM
www.getfreeebooks.com/

I've a wacky idea. How about paying for your books? You wouldn't go into a book store and just walk out with a handful of books without paying.

Many publishers have free ebook offers. They, and the authors, see it as advertising, especially for mid-level authors. Usually the book given away is the first of a series. You know. "The first taste is free."

By the way, I often go into a book store and walk out with a handful of books without paying. What is the name of that place? Oh yeah. The Public Library. And when I come across a book I really like, I buy a copy and place it on my bookshelf. Not unlike what happens with free ebooks.

koleoptero
April 22nd, 2010, 08:21 PM
www.wowio.com has some offers too.

www.scribd.com some others.

chriskin
April 22nd, 2010, 08:24 PM
And how do you propose we forward the money to Lewis Carrol or Jane Austen should we wish to read one of their works?

hahahahaha
+<insert number here>

---------
seriously chrisxuk : some books - almost all older ones - don't need any payment
next time check before "attacking" someone
:popcorn:

dolson
April 27th, 2010, 03:21 AM

I'm not opposed to paying for my books.

I just ordered a Sony Reader, myself. How about you link me to some Linux-friendly sites where I can purchase books that will work with my Sony Reader, without hoops to jump through (ie: no Wine or Windows crap)?