PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New GeForce 9500, Won't Boot

metalxxxfuhrer
April 21st, 2010, 07:18 PM
I just bought a new PNY GeForce 9500 GT and when it's installed my computer won't boot. Will not even pull up BIOS, nothing. When I take it out everything works fine.
I'm currently running Ubuntu 9.10, with a MSI P7N Platinum mother board and an Intel Core 2 Quad Processor. I'm hoping its not DOA, so please let me know if i'm missing something. Thanks.

kieran_uk
April 21st, 2010, 07:46 PM
I just bought a new PNY GeForce 9500 GT and when it's installed my computer won't boot. Will not even pull up BIOS, nothing. When I take it out everything works fine.
I'm currently running Ubuntu 9.10, with a MSI P7N Platinum mother board and an Intel Core 2 Quad Processor. I'm hoping its not DOA, so please let me know if i'm missing something. Thanks.

Sounds like a faulty card to me, do the warranty thing and send it back pronto!! :)

Regards, Kieran.

acej1995
April 21st, 2010, 10:07 PM
I think I have the same problem not sure what you ment. I have a NVidia GeForce 9400, It works perfect with my windows 7 side, but when I use Ubuntu and get on my game, it doesn't detect it through ubuntu, why is this?

AnonCat
April 21st, 2010, 10:33 PM
Even though you probably have the onboard video turned off in the bios, there could still be a conflict between it and the new video card. This happened to me and I wasn't able to fix the problem until I blacklisted my onboard graphics hardware. For some reason, the card will work in Windows without having to do anything about the onboard video, but Ubuntu requires the onboard to be blacklisted. There might be a jumper on your motherboard that kills the onboard video that you can pull.

acej1995
April 22nd, 2010, 02:45 AM
Even though you probably have the onboard video turned off in the bios, there could still be a conflict between it and the new video card. This happened to me and I wasn't able to fix the problem until I blacklisted my onboard graphics hardware. For some reason, the card will work in Windows without having to do anything about the onboard video, but Ubuntu requires the onboard to be blacklisted. There might be a jumper on your motherboard that kills the onboard video that you can pull.

How am I able to blacklist the onboard graphics hardware?

metalxxxfuhrer
April 22nd, 2010, 09:01 AM
So I got a new card and now it boots up. Only problem is the only resolution I can get is 1440x900, which is the size of my old monitor. I've tried updating the NVIDIA drivers, and i'm still to new with linux to know any other ways, like modifying the xorg.config file by hand.