PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrading 9.10 to 10.04 beta.

chrispche
April 21st, 2010, 05:16 PM
What would the terminal command be to upgrade my 9.10 Ubuntu Desktop to 10.04. I was told that it's pretty much stable now, so I would like to do a internet upgrade.

I'm running the amd64 version of Ubuntu 9.10 if that's any help.

Here is a copy of my sources:

http://i65.servimg.com/u/f65/11/95/68/21/source10.png (http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=29&u=11956821)

Can this be done?

Cheers.

PS I'm an impatient BLEEP. I want to try 10.04 now!

drs305
April 21st, 2010, 05:21 PM
The recommended command is:

sudo update-manager -d

You need the -d switch since Lucid is still Beta (think d=development).

Here is a link on upgrading:
http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/lucid/alpha2

Mark Phelps
April 21st, 2010, 05:47 PM
Maybe I'm telling you something you already know ... but upgrading to 10.04 is not really "trying" it; it's replacing what you have today with 10.04. And if there are any major problems, there's no Linux equivalent of the MS System Restore to go back to what you had before.

If you really just want to try it, you would do better running from the LiveCD; that way, nothing will be changed until you confirm that everything works.

Jake007g
April 21st, 2010, 05:51 PM
Press ALT+F2 whilst 9.10 is running, and then type:

update-manager -d

Into the 'run' box, leaving all check boxes default. Click OK and proceed to upgrade.

It's always recommended to do a fresh install from a live-CD though.

chrispche
April 21st, 2010, 06:32 PM
Maybe I'm telling you something you already know ... but upgrading to 10.04 is not really "trying" it; it's replacing what you have today with 10.04. And if there are any major problems, there's no Linux equivalent of the MS System Restore to go back to what you had before.

If you really just want to try it, you would do better running from the LiveCD; that way, nothing will be changed until you confirm that everything works.

I know but. I have been told that for a beta, Lucid is very stable. Oh **** it I'll just wait.

lucasart
April 21st, 2010, 06:53 PM
I know but. I have been told that for a beta, Lucid is very stable. Oh **** it I'll just wait.

i dont know who told you that, but my experience of testing lucid is pretty disastrous. though bugs are being fixed as we speak and dont affect everyone the same way (depending on hardware compatibility etc)

chrispche
April 21st, 2010, 07:31 PM
Well that was a failure. It complained about Openoffice. Not being to able to upgrade. Well, I am Buddhist and supposed to be patient I'll wait for the final version.

However, what I want to know is will I be able to upgrade with out problems then?

Little bit worrying that.

I really have a lovely working Ubuntu Linux and have everything as I want it. I even have a Virtualbox of Windows 7 and Windows XP fully configured. I really REALLY don't want to start over again.

When Lucid is finally released will I be able to upgrade without hick ups? Is the problem I'm having now, purely a beta situation?

Hmmmmmmmmmm.

chrispche
April 21st, 2010, 07:57 PM
Anyone have any thoughts???

drs305
April 21st, 2010, 08:44 PM
Anyone have any thoughts???

I haven't seen (m)any OO complaints on the Lucid upgrades. I suppose it's possible that you caught the repositories at a time when there were unmet dependencies - the same situation as when someone who already has Lucid tries to upgrade and is met with the "partial upgrade" message.

Even if that were the case, it might just be better to wait for the final release unless you get that message very quickly on the upgrade attempt. I wouldn't recommend spending much time on the attempt between now and the official release.

chrispche
April 21st, 2010, 08:50 PM
I take it your using 10.04, how do you find the stability?

kcreek33
April 21st, 2010, 08:57 PM
I have been using 10.04 and haven't had many problems so far. The only issues I have had deal with the video drivers for my newer ATI HD 5770 card. Other than that, it reported that the screensaver crashed after coming from hibernation mode, but didn't require a reboot or kill anything else.

Overall, seems pretty stable for me.

I should probably note that I did a fresh install.

chrispche
April 21st, 2010, 09:01 PM
Tried again and this is the error I'm getting:

Error during commit
'E:Couldn't configure pre-depend openoffice.org-core for openoffice.org-filter-binfilter, probably a dependency cycle.'
Restoring original system state

Any idea's?

yogesh.girikumar
April 23rd, 2010, 11:29 AM
Hi,

You can fix this issue by un-installing the "openoffice.org-filter-binfilter" package.

Run the following in the terminal,

$ sudo apt-get remove openoffice.org-filter-binfilter

Then run the dist-upgrade again. Since most files would have already been downloaded, the installer won't attempt to download them again.

$ sudo apt-get -f dist-upgrade

HTH,
Yogesh.

skbhat03
April 23rd, 2010, 08:04 PM
Everything was working fine till few days back.
I had upgraded to 10.04 without any problem when it was Beta 1.

And later it was upgraded to Beta 2 automatically. But the problem started few days back.
I had around 200 updates waiting in update manager, i went a head and updated after that my laptop wont boot !.
Just the initial screen with "Ubuntu" log and there after a black screen.

Then i did a clean installation of Beta 2, worked fine, but again after update, same issue.

Now i tried to boot from a live CD RC1, but same issue again.

Any idea how i can fix it ?