PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Re-installing Grub2

atliia
April 21st, 2010, 04:54 PM
I have a problem similar to the one outline in this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1392314) thread. I updated my dell datasafe backuo for the first time, my laptop restarted and then I received the error listed.

I have booted with my windows 7 install and my installation of windows is still present. Based on this information I believe the problem is with the grub. I would like to just re-install however, I am not able to open a terminal. When I boot from my live CD of 9.10 the desktop is acting strange visually. There are vertical lines running across my screen and nothing is really visible. This only happenes when I try to install from main menu or try ubuntu with out any change to your computer.

If anyone has another way for me to access a terminal or fix my grub install I would be grateful!

atliia
April 21st, 2010, 09:48 PM
the problem I am having is that I can not get a terminal going. the gui from the live cd is mess up to say the least.

atliia
April 24th, 2010, 01:29 AM
I have found another live CD and was able to run a terminal.

In the terminal I use the
Mount /dev/sda6 /mnt command to mount my ubuntu partition. This and then run
sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt/ /dev/sda

I would reboot remove the live cd and my grub menu would come up. however, I would need to reboot in the live cd at the next boot because I get the same error on each attempt.

At this point I decided to do a fresh install of ubuntu 9.10 from a live CD on sda6 partition.

At this point when I boot I get a grub loader menu with out any boot options and only a command prompt.

My hdd is set up in the following partitions
/dev/sda1 Dell utility
/dev/sda2 HPFS/NTFS(recovery When I run fdisk this is the only boot I see marked)
/dev/sda3 HPFS/NTFS(C: Drive)
/dev/sda4 Extended partition
/dev/sda5 NTFS Shared Partition
/dev/sda6 EXT4 Ubuntu Partition

linuxd00
April 24th, 2010, 01:37 AM
hi, have you seen my thread? does this sound like your problem?

http://www.uluga.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1443763