PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Need Help installing printer drivers Ubuntu 9.10

tehno 2
April 21st, 2010, 04:07 PM
Hello there,
I have printer Brother MFC5860 and could not have it work on Ubuntu, when contacting brother support, they forwarded me to several drivers; Cupswrapper and LPR each of them available in two formats rpm & deb.
Can some tell me what are cups & LPR and how to install the right one.
My Ubuntu is 9.10, 64 bit installed inside windows vista "dual boot"
Thanks in advance to all

mikewhatever
April 21st, 2010, 04:18 PM
You'll need the .deb files for Ubuntu, and just double click each to install. I am sure others will lay out 'The Linux Printing Theory' before you shortly, why ever you need that.

tehno 2
April 21st, 2010, 09:13 PM
You'll need the .deb files for Ubuntu, and just double click each to install. I am sure others will lay out 'The Linux Printing Theory' before you shortly, why ever you need that.

Unfortunately, it did not work and when clicking on it an error pops up in red (Error: Wrong architecture 'i386')
although what I have is intel prcoessor.

partloer
April 21st, 2010, 09:40 PM
The error message: Wrong architecture 'i386' is caused by the fact that your hardware is 64 bit and the software driver is built for 32 bit.

Find out if they make drivers for 64 bit. If not there might be a way to still install them (I don't know how but someone else might be able to help out).

plucky
April 22nd, 2010, 11:18 AM
Hello there,
I have printer Brother MFC5860 and could not have it work on Ubuntu, when contacting brother support, they forwarded me to several drivers; Cupswrapper and LPR each of them available in two formats rpm & deb.
Can some tell me what are cups & LPR and how to install the right one.
My Ubuntu is 9.10, 64 bit installed inside windows vista "dual boot"
Thanks in advance to all

Your printer drivers are already packaged in Synaptic Package Manager

Open Synaptic package manager and search for MFC-5860 and it will find
brother-cups-wrapper-bh7
brother-lpr-drivers-bh7

Select cups-wrapper driver which will also install the LPR drivers as you need both.

Then open System > Administration > Printing and add your printer.You should then be able to find the drivers for your printer.

Good Luck

tehno 2
April 24th, 2010, 04:03 AM
Your printer drivers are already packaged in Synaptic Package Manager

Open Synaptic package manager and search for MFC-5860 and it will find
brother-cups-wrapper-bh7
brother-lpr-drivers-bh7

Select cups-wrapper driver which will also install the LPR drivers as you need both.

Then open System > Administration > Printing and add your printer.You should then be able to find the drivers for your printer.

Good Luck

Big & Great WOW, it worked great and wirelessly. You proved to be more knowledgeable:guitar: than Brother tech support.
Thank you very much.

tehno 2
April 24th, 2010, 04:05 AM
The error message: Wrong architecture 'i386' is caused by the fact that your hardware is 64 bit and the software driver is built for 32 bit.

Find out if they make drivers for 64 bit. If not there might be a way to still install them (I don't know how but someone else might be able to help out).

Thanks for the information, the printer is working now