PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Upgrade Newbee Question.

wbee
April 21st, 2010, 03:51 PM
Hello,

I want to try the update this time instead of a clean install,just curious,I guess.

About a week after 10.4 is released,I'm going to make a cd image from the torrent and have the operating system if I screw up. Also,I'll have everything else on flash drives-just in case.

Now,the update question:

I read what was available about the Nouveau and Nvidia drivers. Should I un install the Nvidia driver I'm using now before attempting an update or will the update do that automatically?

Thanks.

Mark Phelps
April 21st, 2010, 05:51 PM
Couple of comments ...

Upgrading is not really "trying" the update; it's replacing what you have today with a beta version. There's no simple way to roll-back to what you had before.

You should look into using Clonezilla to image off your current installation to an external drive or USB stick. That way, if anything goes seriously wrong in the update, you can restore your old version quickly.

Also, would uninstall the restricted drivers before you do the update.

wbee
April 21st, 2010, 06:35 PM
Mark,

I had not heard of Clonezilla before but that was EXACTLY what I've been looking for.

Thank you.:-)

tgalati4
April 21st, 2010, 09:47 PM
Or, just use the partitioner during the new install and dual boot. That way you have your existing installation (which presumably works OK) and Lucid.

Make a backup of important data regardless.