PDA

View Full Version : Richard Stallman: "I Wished I Had Killed Myself"

keiichidono
April 21st, 2010, 02:21 PM
In our original interview, Stallman said, “I’m the last survivor of a dead culture. And I don’t really belong in the world anymore. And in some ways I feel I ought to be dead.” Now, meeting over Chinese food, he reaffirms this. “I have certainly wished I had killed myself when I was born,” he says. “In terms of effect on the world, it’s very good that I’ve lived. And so I guess, if I could go back in time and prevent my birth, I wouldn’t do it. But I sure wish I hadn’t had so much pain.”
VIA OPEN... (http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2010/04/richard-stallman-i-wished-i-had-killed.html)
SOURCE Wired (http://www.wired.com/magazine/2010/04/ff_hackers/all/1)

dragos240
April 21st, 2010, 02:23 PM
Well..... I think it's a good thing he's alive. Were would we be without GNU (Well.... you know.... linux)

Swagman
April 21st, 2010, 02:42 PM
Someone should sing to him in a Nilsson voice

" We cant liiiive, if living is without Gnu ooOOOooohuh hooo"

swoll1980
April 21st, 2010, 02:52 PM
I think Stallman needs a hug.

betrunkenaffe
April 21st, 2010, 02:53 PM
Melodramatic much?

Giant Speck
April 21st, 2010, 03:04 PM
What a drama llama... :roll:

sydbat
April 21st, 2010, 03:07 PM
Melodramatic much?

What a drama llama... :roll:
These.

Sporkman
April 21st, 2010, 03:13 PM
Someone should sing to him in a Nilsson voice

" We cant liiiive, if living is without Gnu ooOOOooohuh hooo"

:lol:

rottentree
April 21st, 2010, 03:21 PM
Melodramatic much?

It's not surprising he's melodramatic. Not that it helps.

But just to make the quote sort of complete:

When I tell him that Hackers will soon be available for the Kindle — which Stallman, predictably, calls a Swindle — his dour demeanor evaporates as he energetically encourages me to resist the e-reader’s onerous DRM. “You have to believe that freedom is important and you deserve it,” he says. Despite his disillusionment, the fire still burns within him.It's not like he's trying to jump of a bridge he's still RMS :D

MCVenom
April 21st, 2010, 03:30 PM
I know how he feels...Life can be really lonely for some people :(

mickie.kext
April 21st, 2010, 03:31 PM
If RMS had a coin for every time someone frowned upon him for for no reason whatsoever, or perverted his words in the interview, Bill Gates would be beggar compared to him.

Giant Speck
April 21st, 2010, 03:38 PM
If RMS had a coin for every time someone frowned upon him for for no reason whatsoever, or perverted his words in the interview, Bill Gates would be beggar compared to him.

Damn, it must really hurt inside to know that there are some sick, twisted people out there who don't like Richard Stallman. How dare they be so EVIL? They must be paid Microsoft shills.

tica vun
April 21st, 2010, 03:46 PM

Oh come on. The guy "wished he'd killed himself" because he's pretty much the only one who uses exclusively software that meets his definition of "free". He is obviously delusional and views himself as some kind of messiah for the FSF movement. As warranted as his self-importance may be, he's kind of pushing it.

I agree with him on most issues (Free software, privacy, the whole GNU naming thing, etc), but the way he's communicating his message isn't doing much to stop the perpetuation of the "crazy basement-dweller neckbeard" stereotype.

zekopeko
April 21st, 2010, 04:21 PM

You see those two little double ticks on the start and end of the sentence? They are called quotation marks and are used to create quote which are verbatim spoken or written words or sentences somebody said or wrote.

Now that you know what quoting is then you could perhaps explain where the author of the article has "perverted his words in the interview"?

sudoer541
April 21st, 2010, 04:39 PM
Oh come on. The guy "wished he'd killed himself" because he's pretty much the only one who uses exclusively software that meets his definition of "free". He is obviously delusional and views himself as some kind of messiah for the FSF movement. As warranted as his self-importance may be, he's kind of pushing it.

I agree with him on most issues (Free software, privacy, the whole GNU naming thing, etc), but the way he's communicating his message isn't doing much to stop the perpetuation of the "crazy basement-dweller neckbeard" stereotype.

I always though RMS was crazy, now I am sure he is crazy!!!
I mean ya he looks kinda weird, dirty etc...ewwwww.
BTW no offense here ppl, I am just expressing my opinion (freedom of speech!)

TheLastDodo
April 21st, 2010, 04:40 PM
These.

I can certainly understand his not wanting to live in a mercenary capitalist culture that attempts to reduce anything it can get its hands on to a source of income, without regard for cultural, artistic or intellectual value. His statement might be a tad over the top, but the sentiment's hardly an uncommon one these days.

betrunkenaffe
April 21st, 2010, 04:45 PM

There are alot of people that use exclusively software that meets their definition of "free". It might not meet his definition but that's fine, some people are more strict and others less so. Some don't mind proprietary, some do.

I wasn't hating on him, just stating that anyone that feels the need to state to the world that he "feels like killing himself" (specifically when he was born to avoid life's pains) is being childish. I don't think there is a need to harass or insult anyone for their views on FSF, privacy, politics, religion, etc. There always the hard liners in every conversation and RMS happens to be a hardliner on the free/privacy side of things.

agnes
April 21st, 2010, 06:57 PM
What would happen to GPL if he would do it now?

zekopeko
April 21st, 2010, 07:31 PM
What would happen to GPL if he would do it now?

If he were to die? It would have no impact on GPL. RMS is hardly an essential part of Free Software or the GPL.

RiceMonster
April 21st, 2010, 07:37 PM
Wow, maybe he should just relax and eat some toe cheese.

Giant Speck
April 21st, 2010, 07:40 PM
Wow, maybe he should just relax and eat some toe cheese.

He sure has enough whine for it!

http://i40.tinypic.com/4hqfyt.jpg

forrestcupp
April 21st, 2010, 08:13 PM
I feel sorry for the guy. He has his priorities mixed up.

xir_
April 21st, 2010, 08:25 PM
most of the replies in this thread are not what i've come to expect of these forums.

First of all he has been one of the greatest contributors to open source, regardless of the rest of the points.

Second he is a human being and doesn't deserve suicidal thoughts mocked as is being done in this thread.

First time i've been ashamed of this community.

Crunchy the Headcrab
April 21st, 2010, 08:27 PM
First time i've been ashamed of this community.
You must be new here.

Seriously though, you're right. It is a sad thing, not a funny thing.

KiwiNZ
April 21st, 2010, 08:30 PM
Agree or not agree with the man is not the point. These thoughts are serious and can influence the young and those unwell.

For those reasons and out of respect and common courtesy I am closing this thread.