PDA

View Full Version : Well, I just learned that ASUS is pretty Linux friendly.

dragos240
April 21st, 2010, 12:27 PM
I called them up, and told them I broke my warranty seal. They asked for my model #, I gave it to them, It was originally win XP on there. I told them I installed linux on it, they told me that it was fine that I did so, and that I would still receive support. I just have to send in my netbook and have them look at it, they then have to verify that everything works. After this a new seal will be put on it. Just something I thought I would share.

kaldor
April 21st, 2010, 02:33 PM
I have always heard great things about Asus. Do they still have any Linux laptops? Not netbooks, but laptops.

LowSky
April 21st, 2010, 02:41 PM
I have always heard great things about Asus. Do they still have any Linux laptops? Not netbooks, but laptops.

nope no more laptops, they signed some Windows Pact. But ASUS is very good to its customers. I'm really suprised there was a warranty seal. I know on the older EEE PC's they had one but they told owners it was ok to open the netbook to add more memory.

dragos240
April 21st, 2010, 02:44 PM
nope no more laptops, they signed some Windows Pact. But ASUS is very good to its customers. I'm really suprised there was a warranty seal. I know on the older EEE PC's they had one but they told owners it was ok to open the netbook to add more memory.

Actually, there's a RAM-bay. I opened up the case, removed the keyboard, and I took the thing apart out of curiosity.

undecim
April 21st, 2010, 04:08 PM
I think the warranty seal is just a way for them to refuse support if you take apart your laptop and do something stupid. Most companies I guess would use it as an excuse to refuse the warranty, but it looks like asus only uses it against you if it's your fault.

I've never had to deal with asus support before, but I did have a great time with an EeePC before I got tired of the small screen. It ran well and was tough as nails, which is why my next laptop is going to be an Asus.

madjr
April 21st, 2010, 06:23 PM
they also include a fast booting linux distro (expressgate/splashtop)

so you know that the computer will run with a linux distro with almost no incompatibilities

Crunchy the Headcrab
April 21st, 2010, 06:46 PM
Asus is a GREAT computer company. I have an Asus laptop and it has been nothing but joy.

northwestuntu
April 21st, 2010, 06:58 PM
ive bought lots of asus motherboards and have been very happy with them.

sporkthedork
April 21st, 2010, 07:09 PM
I would concur with northwestuntu; nearly all of my system builds these days use ASUS motherboards, though my favourite is still the M2N32 SLI-Deluxe.

And to echo the sentiments expressed above, ASUS customer support has never been less than stellar for me.

forrestcupp
April 21st, 2010, 08:15 PM
Are you running SUSE on your ASUS? :)

Spike-X
April 22nd, 2010, 01:57 AM
Are you running SUSE on your ASUS? :)
See my avatar.

NightwishFan
April 22nd, 2010, 02:25 AM
I bought an Asus K50IJ laptop and it works entirely using Open Source drivers. Well worth it.

RiceMonster
April 22nd, 2010, 02:46 AM
I'm fully satisfied with my new Asus K52F laptop. It's just Windows 7 at the moment though, because I haven't had time to put Linux on it yet.