PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Trouble Installing on Sony Vaio PCG-661L

Morluna
April 21st, 2010, 03:46 AM
Hi,

I'm a brand new user; have never tried Ubuntu before. I currently have Windows XP running on my Sony Vaio PCG-661L and would like to replace Windows with Ubuntu 9.04.

As directed on the Ubuntu site, I downloaded the ISO image and burned it to CD. When I boot the computer with the CD in drive, the Linux screen comes up with the Ubuntu logo, asks for my language like normal, but when I select "install ubuntu" I get a "Disc read error" message, and my only option is "Reboot."

I also tried running the CD from inside Windows with the computer already on, and I get a similar message there as well.

I'm going to try reburning the file to another CD to see if it's just a problem with the disc, but can anyone shed any light on any other reason why this might be happening?

My specs shouldn't be a problem. I have 512mg Ram and 4g HD space free, Pentium processor...

Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks!

jaco223
April 21st, 2010, 03:58 AM
Hi,

I'm a brand new user; have never tried Ubuntu before. I currently have Windows XP running on my Sony Vaio PCG-661L and would like to replace Windows with Ubuntu 9.04.

As directed on the Ubuntu site, I downloaded the ISO image and burned it to CD. When I boot the computer with the CD in drive, the Linux screen comes up with the Ubuntu logo, asks for my language like normal, but when I select "install ubuntu" I get a "Disc read error" message, and my only option is "Reboot."

I also tried running the CD from inside Windows with the computer already on, and I get a similar message there as well.

I'm going to try reburning the file to another CD to see if it's just a problem with the disc, but can anyone shed any light on any other reason why this might be happening?

My specs shouldn't be a problem. I have 512mg Ram and 4g HD space free, Pentium processor...

Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks!

Try burning at a slow speed maybe 4x.
On boot at the Ubuntu screen after selecting language, you can hit "f6" to turn
off "acpi" and select nomodeset. See if that helps.

Jaco