PDA

View Full Version : How many of you use Evolution.

ubudog
April 21st, 2010, 01:37 AM
How many of you actually use Evolution for Email, Calendar, etc.?

NightwishFan
April 21st, 2010, 01:44 AM
I do, it is a great program. Very easy to backup and restore settings as well. I am not very fond of using web apps for email.

chriskin
April 21st, 2010, 01:53 AM
i do :)
it's fast, it checks emails in less than a second and it uses 10mbs of ram
plus , it has the whole integration thing with the clock applet.
not bad at all :)

beast2k
April 21st, 2010, 01:53 AM
How many of you actually use Evolution for Email, Calendar, etc.?

I use it and the big attraction for me is the real easy backup, no other client that I know of has this feature. The great part is the backup backs up emails addresses settings , the works. I don't use half the regular features (notes etc) the backup alone makes it a must have.

Endomancer
April 21st, 2010, 02:01 AM
I use it for my google mail and have started to check out the calendar features.

So far my only gripe is I can't get my hotmail or yahoo mail through it as they (yahoo and microsoft) expect me to pay for that privileged

koleoptero
April 21st, 2010, 02:27 AM
I use it cause I like how well it blends with gnome in looks and integration. Plus it does its job and does it well.

@Endomancer: Some happy news for you. (http://mailcall.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!CC9301187A51FE33!49799.entry) I'm using it for my hotmail too.

conradin
April 21st, 2010, 02:33 AM
Ive toyed with it. The idea of it seems to appeal to older users like my parents and their friends. Of course I can recall when downloading things on to your computer was cool. when I convert these people to linux, I will be using Evolution again.

Seq
April 21st, 2010, 02:38 AM
I do. I tried to look at thunderbird, but it can't use my maildir (I pull in my google apps mail with offlineimap). It pulls in my calendar and contacts from google.

At work I use it as it connects to our Exchange server, though the experience is somewhat less than perfect.

chriskin
April 21st, 2010, 02:42 AM
Ive toyed with it. The idea of it seems to appeal to older users like my parents and their friends. Of course I can recall when downloading things on to your computer was cool. when I convert these people to linux, I will be using Evolution again.

you seem to avoid the practical use .for example : using it with a service whose web-based mail app is problematic
i , for one, use it for my university's mail which seems to be unable to understand that when i ask for unicode , i mean it :)

another practical use i can think right now is having the mails available offline, something that can be really useful if you work on a portable machine (netbook, notebook, etc) - (or when the isp thinks it can just act lazy for some time :P)

qamelian
April 21st, 2010, 02:44 AM
I use it all the time. It's the only application that I always have open, from the time I login on my laptop until I log off at the end of the day.

Endomancer
April 24th, 2010, 12:34 AM
I use it cause I like how well it blends with gnome in looks and integration. Plus it does its job and does it well.

@Endomancer: Some happy news for you. (http://mailcall.spaces.live.com/blog/cns%21CC9301187A51FE33%2149799.entry) I'm using it for my hotmail too.
Thank you koleoptero I can now get my msn mail on Evolution

toupeiro
April 24th, 2010, 12:35 AM
/signed.

Great application!

Mr. Picklesworth
April 24th, 2010, 12:42 AM
I use Evolution's back-end (evolution-data-server) happily; the integration a daemon like that provides is wonderful.

I use the Evolution shell grudgingly, and I yell at it at lease once a week. At this point my calendar is synced with Google Calendar via CalDAV, so it's less often that I use it. Now, if somebody wrote a nice Evolution front-end for people who aren't sadistic business owners, I would be thrilled :)

northwestuntu
April 24th, 2010, 02:10 AM
never used it. i uninstall it most the time.

Roasted
April 24th, 2010, 02:13 AM
I like Evolution, and I used it for quite a while. Something about Thunderbird w/ lightning extension just takes away my desire to continue using Evolution, though. *shrug* I don't know why, both scenarios work fine... Just preference, I suppose.

Linuxforall
April 24th, 2010, 02:24 AM
I use it for all my email This is one app that has improved quite well over time and is now a viable email client for Linux platform as well as a PIM.

Linye
April 24th, 2010, 02:29 AM
I have no idea of how to use it.

Flash__Gordon
April 24th, 2010, 03:37 AM
Tried it a few times but I am hooked on Thunderbird/Sunbird combination. Mostly because when I used to use windoes I could easily copy the folder from windoes into Linux and everything was there. Maybe if there was an easy way to migrate 7 yrs of email from Thunderbird to Evolution ....

matthew.ball
April 24th, 2010, 03:19 PM
I use it.

Probably not to it's fullest, I just have it configured to my uni account, I haven't ever used the calendar for instance.

philinux
April 24th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Switched to Evo last year. Works great and with google calender it syncs with my palm pre.

The other reason I switched was Evo's proper use of the next/previous message buttons which annoyed me intensely in TB.

Only one gripe. And this bug has gone to gnome. Still waiting for a fix.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/evolution/+bug/438841

antenna
April 24th, 2010, 03:38 PM
I use it, but only the email part. The interface could probably do with a bit of work, but currently for my uses it is fine.

eumetaxas
April 24th, 2010, 04:32 PM
i use it a lot and i am very pleased

scouser73
April 24th, 2010, 04:42 PM
I don't use Evolution, I always install Thunderbird.

Rackstar
April 24th, 2010, 04:53 PM
I'm planning to switch to Evolution when I switch to Lucid, currently I am using Thunderbird.

Pros:
- Integration into gnome (this is my primary reason for switching)
- Easy backup

Contra:
- Not OS-independent (<-> Thunderbird), though arguable, because it has good export qualities
- Little cluttered, especially the inbox view, I like how Thunderbird hides the e-mailadres. I was disappointed that I wasn't able to switch this in the settings.
Thunderbird:
Jane Whatsoever

Evolution
Jane Whatsoever<jane.whatsoever@provider.ex>

- Buttons are too big, it could've used a revamping

EDIT: oh, and the ridiculous long right-click lists.

Sam
April 24th, 2010, 10:06 PM
- Little cluttered, especially the inbox view, I like how Thunderbird hides the e-mailadres. I was disappointed that I wasn't able to switch this in the settings.

Right-click on any column header in the message list, choose "Add a Column", drag n' drop "Sender" to the header in the desired position. Then right-click on the "From" column header and choose "Remove This Column".

Swagman
April 24th, 2010, 10:10 PM
/ me holds hand up

Bachstelze
April 24th, 2010, 10:11 PM
I don't, Kontact ftw. :p

barney385
April 24th, 2010, 11:10 PM
I think it was discussed here once that it couldn't be removed from Ubuntu.

I can't wait to remove it.

Georgia boy
April 25th, 2010, 01:42 AM
Finally got it set up but automatically go to my Thunderbird. Got used to TB in Windows and stayed with it here in Ubuntu. Set up Lighting for Thunderbird and put in the holidays etc. Haven't messed with Evolution since setting up. Is it going to be the main in Lucid? No TB? That would suck if so. Especially since I've got my personal templates made for emails, and signatures also. Guess then I'd really have to get used to Evolution then. Does it have templates and things like that also?

Tom