PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu PC?

ahood
March 17th, 2006, 01:23 PM
Hi All,

I am doubtful that opensource proponents will ever see mass adoption of any linux distribution by major OEMs (Dell, HP, etc.).

Canonical has made an impact in a relatively short period of time with their Ubuntu OS. It certainly seems popular in the opensource world.

Could desktop linux "break out" into the mainstream if a new OEM emerged that had a linux distribution pre-installed that was available from easily accessible retail channels, decent hardware specifications (3D video, 512 mb ram, 1.5 Ghz CPU, 80 Gb harddisk space, wireless, blue-tooth, printer), easy to use, includes a monitor, low cost ($400-500 or less)?

Thus, the emergence of the Ubuntu PC - 2-3 years from now....

The case would be earth-toned and have a large Ubuntu logo on the side...

Everything just worked on the machine......(hehe)

Came with a printed list of additional compatible hardware....

Came with various support options: none, 60-day, 90-days, 1 year (would need to hire a call center at very reasonable cost).

Available by mail-order, CompUSA, Best Buy, Circuit City, etc.

Just an idea for sometime in the near future.....

Dr. Hood

dabear
March 17th, 2006, 01:33 PM
This could be a nice idea, but there are four things to be considered:

-Inclusion of 3d-drivers
-Inclusion of cedega
-Some sort of a printed manual
-Codecs support

timas
March 17th, 2006, 01:34 PM
Dell has in the past preloaded machines with Red Hat but stopped because they weren't populair enough (at the time..) and the production costs thus turned out higher than the final revenues..

I do believe that in the future, massively produced machines will start getting more 'open' as Linux is slowly growing in popularity. In Brazil I believe they are already actively distributing PC's with Linux on it..

If Ubuntu can show it has the potential to be -the- Linux distribution it might become interesting for public distribution through channels as Dell, HP, Compraq, Packard Hell (er, Compaq & Packard Bell)..

just my thoughts

encompass
March 17th, 2006, 01:52 PM
Mr. Shuttlesworth may be working on this one all ready... wouldn't that be nice. Couldn't his company do that?
I personally think we are aiming to high thinking about dell and others. Why would they want something like this unless they see success in it. I feel the way to see the success is to have smaller companies try the venture. But not small of a company. Conocal (still can't spell it) is in my opinion the choice. Let them make the hardware that will just work. And suppor the os at the same time. Sound familiar? I know... it is what mac has been doing from the beginning, excluding the fully open source desktop. I push for that idea.
The community can say what they would want Ubuntu Boxes to be like, and Ubuntu can make the hardware accordingly.

papangul
March 17th, 2006, 02:48 PM
http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/03/15/bloomberg/sxlaptop.php

Not a "Ubuntu PC", but linux based nevertheless.This year it's sales target is 100,000!

The laptop uses Linux software and does not support Microsoft's Windows program, he said.

Virogenesis
March 17th, 2006, 03:14 PM
This could be a nice idea, but there are four things to be considered:

-Inclusion of 3d-drivers
-Inclusion of cedega
-Some sort of a printed manual
-Codecs support
Not possible with ubuntu..... some other distro you'll be able to

dabear
March 17th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Not possible with ubuntu..... some other distro you'll be able to

Could desktop linux "break out" into the mainstream if a new OEM emerged that had a linux distribution pre-installed that was available from easily accessible retail channels, decent hardware specifications

Not possible with ubuntu it self, but it would be possible for the companies installing the OEM version to custmize the installation.

Bandit
March 17th, 2006, 05:24 PM
Impy might work better. It has many of the codecs already.

encompass
March 18th, 2006, 08:49 AM
I like the idea for the starter computer. That is a great advance in the Linux Market. Personally, I think linux IS doing a very good job of becoming a powerful and useful OS. But it lacks in the confidence of it's hardware producers. What to do about that?

BoyOfDestiny
March 18th, 2006, 09:19 AM
I like the idea for the starter computer. That is a great advance in the Linux Market. Personally, I think linux IS doing a very good job of becoming a powerful and useful OS. But it lacks in the confidence of it's hardware producers. What to do about that?

Best way IMHO, is buy from companies that manufacture boards, peripherals. devices, etc that work well with Linux (especially those that make some effort to support it).

Vote with your wallet.