PDA

View Full Version : how to remove unr and grub to restore system to "like new"

figsology
April 20th, 2010, 09:11 PM
Hey Guys, I'm having some trouble removing unr from my asus eee pc 1005peb, I installed it about a month ago and sadly to say I need cash so I will be selling the eee pc. I want to restore it to factory settings. I already tried uninstalling unr, by deleting the partition it was on, that didn't work. Once I booted up again it gave me a grub error. So I reinstalled unr and now have a left over swap partition from the original install. I want the system to boot up as it did before the installation of unr. How would I go about doing this?

Objekt
April 20th, 2010, 09:41 PM
By "factory configuration," do you mean some version of Windows? If you want to restore that, you will need either

1) an image of the hard drive as it was before you installed UNR, or
2) "recovery" or "restore" discs that were supplied with the eeePC, or which you made before installing UNR.

If it had Windows on there and you formatted the drive when you installed UNR, you won't be able to get Windows back without one of those two things.

Some manufacturers will sell you replacement recovery discs, if you didn't get any with the eeePC. Don't know whether that is true for Asus.