PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Need a small Ubuntu.

weaver4
April 20th, 2010, 07:45 PM
I need a Ubuntu distribution that takes less than 1-1.5G of hard drive space. I know that I can go with other distributions like Damn-Small-Linux (50Meg), or Puppy Linux(100Meg) or TinyMe(200Meg) but I really wanted to start with Ubuntu because I know it has the packages that I will need.

This is not for a real desktop installation but for a turnkey system that when boots will run an application that we are writing in QT. We want to whole system to fit on a 4Gig Flash Card which will also contain our log files.

Any advice on the best way to start?

carl4926
April 20th, 2010, 07:47 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1457917

sisco311
April 20th, 2010, 07:54 PM
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/minimal

rory526
April 20th, 2010, 08:06 PM
Xubuntu is an officially supported light-weight version of Ubuntu,
but it needs at least 2.0 gigabytes of disk space.

efball3
April 20th, 2010, 09:36 PM
I need a Ubuntu distribution that takes less than 1-1.5G of hard drive space. I know that I can go with other distributions like Damn-Small-Linux (50Meg), or Puppy Linux(100Meg) or TinyMe(200Meg) but I really wanted to start with Ubuntu because I know it has the packages that I will need.

This is not for a real desktop installation but for a turnkey system that when boots will run an application that we are writing in QT. We want to whole system to fit on a 4Gig Flash Card which will also contain our log files.

Any advice on the best way to start?

Use Debian. When the installer brings up the dialog box to select what to install (desktop, mailserver, etc.) don't select anything. You will get a installation that's a bit over 300MB and then you can add what you want on top of that. Debian may not have as many packages as Ubuntu, but the selection is still huge.

mkvnmtr
April 20th, 2010, 09:58 PM
Try the minimal install disk. My installations go a little over what you want but I am making a desktop system.